User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: spark plugs

Quote Originally Posted by 1CMS1 View Post
    Ive heard NGK Iridium plugs are very good for our cars, so I dropped them in and havnt looked back since.
    Yup. After 9-10 WOT logs, still running well
    Just remember the NGK's require gapping (0.026" - 0.028")

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

2. Default

COULD be yes... but as I stated these issues were around long before the AP install and boost increase (Mazda had failed to remedy them) and the old plugs weren't in bad condition (40000km - Mazda recommend changing at 100000km).

Personally I prefer to take my advice from a reputable company that has actually done a lot of R&D and has a wealth of real-world, knowledge and experience in these matters... Rather than the opinions of "keyboard mechanics".

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    While it is suggested to go to a colder plug when power/boost is increased (higher combustion temperatures) that's fine.
    But don't forget a lot of the improvement as mentioned above COULD also just be from having new plugs, not nesessarily better or different plugs.
    vader: black 2010 mps3
    exterior: vg shark fin, lakin rego plate kit, black tints
    matte black grill+fog lights, corksport smoked rear led's
    handling: cobb rear engine mount+shifter weight, corksport gearbox mount
    jbr rear sway bar+shifter bushes, eibach springs, spc rear camber arms
    rollers: tsw nurburgring 19x8.5 et45, muteki nuts, hankook s1 evo2 235x35/19
    stoppers: dba slotted rotors, ebc green stuff pads
    engine: cobb ap v2 - stage 1 (98ron), itv22 plugs,
    jbr egr block off, tb coolant bypass

Quote Originally Posted by 1CMS1 View Post
    Ive heard NGK Iridium plugs are very good for our cars, so I dropped them in and havnt looked back since.
    Can u buy em in OZ? I can't find the Denso's in stock in Australia. Only done a quick google tho no ringing around.

eBay is your best friend in getting cheaper NGK plugs
    Repco etc are a rip off

ebay - $12.50each inc postage
    Repco - $29.00 each

Quote Originally Posted by checkbuzz View Post
    COULD be yes... but as I stated these issues were around long before the AP install and boost increase (Mazda had failed to remedy them) and the old plugs weren't in bad condition (40000km - Mazda recommend changing at 100000km).

Personally I prefer to take my advice from a reputable company that has actually done a lot of R&D and has a wealth of real-world, knowledge and experience in these matters... Rather than the opinions of "keyboard mechanics".
    I believe you have taken what I said completely out of context.
    My comment was a general comment (not directed at you personally, hence why I did not quote you) I see time and time again people claiming changing to a different product is the improvement forgetting that the item replaced could have been faulty.
    I did not say that in your case this is what happened.

P.S I am far from a keyboard mechanic.
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

Off topic but I'm the only VAD44 here! lol
    2XS+ChipTorque=DeathStar

7. Default

ha ha... but I've got the VADER rego plates to prove it!

Quote Originally Posted by KFuNk View Post
    Off topic but I'm the only VAD44 here! lol
    vader: black 2010 mps3
    exterior: vg shark fin, lakin rego plate kit, black tints
    matte black grill+fog lights, corksport smoked rear led's
    handling: cobb rear engine mount+shifter weight, corksport gearbox mount
    jbr rear sway bar+shifter bushes, eibach springs, spc rear camber arms
    rollers: tsw nurburgring 19x8.5 et45, muteki nuts, hankook s1 evo2 235x35/19
    stoppers: dba slotted rotors, ebc green stuff pads
    engine: cobb ap v2 - stage 1 (98ron), itv22 plugs,
    jbr egr block off, tb coolant bypass

ha ha... but I've got the VADER rego plates to prove it!
    Do you live around caulfield coz I have spotted you there couple of times
    Member Of a Wallbangers Club

Car: Gen 2 Mazda 3 MPS (BL Series 1)
    Speaking to Mazda service looks like they stock Denso plugs. From my conversation with Denso Australia, they are pre-gapped to 1.1mm
    Reading the workshop manual this needs to be 0.7mm

Speaking to a Mazda wrecker, they had the plugs on an MPS listed as SILTR6A7G. This is what I ended up getting which are NGK plugs and pre-gapped to 0.7mm

I think Mazda just stock the ITV20 because the standard Mazdas use them at 1.1mm gap; so the tech would just fine tune to suit.

Ok if it hasn't already been confirmed, I just had the 100K service done on my car. Asked for the stock plugs to be returned, the plugs are stamped "FoMoCo.....SILTR6A7G"
    This part number matches the NGK part number SILTR6A7G.

So Gen 2 MPS 3 has NGK spark plugs available from SuperCheap Auto by order only for $28.65 ea

Quote Originally Posted by OzCJ View Post
    Ok if it hasn't already been confirmed, I just had the 100K service done on my car. Asked for the stock plugs to be returned, the plugs are stamped "FoMoCo.....SILTR6A7G"
    This part number matches the NGK part number SILTR6A7G.

So Gen 2 MPS 3 has NGK spark plugs available from SuperCheap Auto by order only for $28.65 ea

Dodgy mofo co spakplugs hehe Sorry couldn't help myself
    Last edited by Mspec; 25-06-2014 at 11:50 AM.
    Corksport SRI// Corksport TIP// Race Pipe//​ Turbosmart BPV// Resonator Delete// JBR 80a RMM// Autotech HPFP// Cobb AP V3// HDI GT2 FMIC// ​NGK LTR7IX-11// Simota 360* Filter// Eonon GM5151-With Back Up Cam// ​RaydTuned

12. Default

Super cheap aint so cheap, you can get them from Edge four for $94.40 shipped the Stock heat range part number they list is ILTR6A8G or it's always good to get a few packets works out cheap as and can always resell the ones you don't want .

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    Super cheap aint so cheap, you can get them from Edge four for $94.40 shipped the Stock heat range part number they list is ILTR6A8G or it's always good to get a few packets works out cheap as and can always resell the ones you don't want .
    Mate I'm not going to cry over $20. And I can confirm with certainty because I've got the old plugs and they are stamped "FoMoCo.......SILTR6A7G"
    Gen 1 MPS used 0.8mm gap, Gen 2 MPS use 0.7mm gap.
    Last edited by OzCJ; 12-07-2014 at 12:06 PM.

14. Default

Thought I'd revive this before starting a new one.

Bought a second hand 2007 Mazda CX-7 in 2015 for the wife and from my understanding it has the same engine as the MPS6...2.3L Turbo (L3?) So I hope someone can help me.

It is nearing 150,000km and the car is not driving as smooth as before. I checked the service history and spark plugs were changed at 100,000km, but I wanted to pull the plugs and check them. Found 1 to be quite white indicating it is running hot while the others had white and brown parts. I have added images as I am not sure how to read iridium plugs...have never used them. There is also a white dot on the inside of the ground electrode on all 4 plugs, is that normal? Do the plugs look like that after 50,000km?

https://m.imgur.com/a/0ZIZg

I plan on getting new ones (Repco $32/each at the moment) but if these are still good for another 50,000km, I will hold out until then.

Going to check the gap and put them back in. Just read that they are not gapped from the box properly so will check these just in case.

Thank you in advance

15. Default

I didn't think any plugs were properly gapped out of the box. Worth double checking anyway.

For 50k plugs, running in a rich engine, I don't think they look anything out of the ordinary. No visible corrosion/irregularities on them, I'd say they're fine.

But, for only $32 each, a $130 investment in four new ones and some time is cheap for peace of mind.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234