User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: spark plugs

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    I bought some NGKs Iridium plugs
    I re-gapped my plugs to 0.27" or 0.68mm as advised from Cobb for Stage 2 and I happy to announce there is no longer any hesitation or stuttering on WOT
    Any issues doing this on Gen1 mps3? do i go colder plug or stock? im so confused on best option for my car. trying to figure everything out with this damn fuel consumption. All tuning shops know so little about the mazdas!!! im driving mysef crazy. internet has too many answers!
    if i went NGK Iridium plugs and same gap, this would be ok for just any mazda right? or would gap vary depending on mods etc???soz Noob learning
    Last edited by kb90; 08-05-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kb90 View Post
    Any issues doing this on Gen1 mps3? do i go colder plug or stock? im so confused on best option for my car. trying to figure everything out with this damn fuel consumption. All tuning shops know so little about the mazdas!!! im driving mysef crazy. internet has too many answers!
    if i went NGK Iridium plugs and same gap, this would be ok for just any mazda right? or would gap vary depending on mods etc???soz Noob learning
    I bought the colder NGK on edges recommendation for gen 1.Should only cost $40 delivered
    What is your average consumption , on my bolted GEN 1 I average 10.5-11lit/100, and U

Mod list?
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Default spark plugs

If you buy the NGK IX Iridium Spark Plugs (which are 1 step colder) you will need to gap them

NGK don't make iridium plugs with gaps that suit our cars

Gaping is very easy to do as long as you have a gaping tool and very patient and gentle. If a noob like me can do it. Anyone can

Not sure if there any power/consumption benefits on going 1 step colder on a stock car, but it won't be bad for it either

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Not bad for it is not nesessarily true.
    I've linked the NGK numerous times on selecting plug gaps and heat range.
    If the combustion temps are significantly increased, then you probably should go 1 step colder.

On a stock car, its not needed and I wouldn't suggest it. If a too cold plug is used, you could suffer from fouling the plugs at low speed or cold temps.

I'd really only suggest a colder plug on a fully bolted and tuned car where the increase in boost and/or timing will create hotter combustion temps, if your experiencing knock, or racing
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

fuel consumption atm is about 300 per tank. and only mods are TBE and pod filter. Have a new O2 sensor on the way but was told I needed 2 new spark plugs so going to replace all 4 because its just the right thing to do.. and yes I have a spacing tool, just the gap is what I dont know. @chef @Jmac @slixx

If getting the NGK 1step colder you should gap these to 0.028" (american spec) or 0.71mm. Otherwise the denso itv22 are pregapped at 0.028". Always double check the gap even if they are 'pre-gapped'. I personally run my plugs at 0.025" or thereabouts.

fuel consumption atm is about 300 per tank. and only mods are TBE and pod filter. Have a new O2 sensor on the way but was told I needed 2 new spark plugs so going to replace all 4 because its just the right thing to do.. and yes I have a spacing tool, just the gap is what I dont know. @chef @Jmac @slixx
    300km is pretty bad fuel economy I get at least 410 and I don't drive like a granny
    It would pay to put on the dyno to see how everything is running,if u have a TBE you prob need a tune to take advantage of it prob your AFR are prob out of wack

I went to 0.027" as it was in between Cobb's specs or 26 and 28

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

+1 for 400kms+ from a tank. Get yours checked out

I went in to Tokyo motorsports and they told me that I needed to replace AF sensor AND O2 sensor. I called mazda and told them the code that came up and they told me its just the rear sensor that needed replacing. SO it arrived today, and now to try find a DIY install for the O2 sensor and do it same time as Spark plugs and see how it all goes. Next step would be find someone who can do COBB tune and get it set to economy tune. worst using 3/4 tank a week....
    Sorry to take this off topic. BU all good now on the Spark plug info, now the O2sensor. is there a thread for a DIY. searched everywhere and can only find it for the pre cat replacement.
    Last edited by kb90; 08-05-2013 at 04:47 PM.

My life be like...

dont get an economy tune, there is another problem if you are getting 300km a tank, either that or there is something wrong with your fuel gauge, maybe a faulty sender? Think outside the box

Get the plugs gap to 0.027'. Dont go a step colder.
    Clean MAF sensor with electrical contact cleaner.
    Check for boost leaks.

Have you got a dashhawk? maybe get some logs.
    If you are still having issues start a new thread so we dont clog this one up (that is about plugs)
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

14. Default

300klms to a tank, damn! I get almost half that, in fact on the open road, I do get half that!

Either you have an issue with your MPS or you have a major issue with your right foot.

Quote Originally Posted by bullet dust View Post
    300klms to a tank, damn! I get almost half that, in fact on the open road, I do get half that!

Either you have an issue with your MPS or you have a major issue with your right foot.
    you get 150km to a full tank ? WHAT ?

16. Default

When changing plugs is it a must to disconnect the battery.

I think he meant double that
    I wouldnt have got half that on the track

18. Default

My 2 cents on plugs:
    I'm running a Cobb AP (stage 1) with no bolt-ons, the car has always idled rough and been hesitant when getting on the throttle.
    The AP once installed only seemed to amplify these issues and introduce a WOT delay when really hot (I'm talking very spirited hill driving here!).
    To remedy this I've just installed Denso ITV 22's (pre-gapped and checked) at 0.028" and the car is now idling smoothly, no longer hesitating at small throttle openings and pulls smoother throughout the entire rev range.
    Sometimes when you do mods you want to notice the difference and often do when there is none... however my wife even remarked on the difference (from the passenger seat) on the way to work this morning!
    P.S. Cobb tuning (who are probably the foremost experts on the MPS and tuning it) recommend the ITV22's over the stock plugs even on a stock MPS!
    vader: black 2010 mps3
    exterior: vg shark fin, lakin rego plate kit, black tints
    matte black grill+fog lights, corksport smoked rear led's
    handling: cobb rear engine mount+shifter weight, corksport gearbox mount
    jbr rear sway bar+shifter bushes, eibach springs, spc rear camber arms
    rollers: tsw nurburgring 19x8.5 et45, muteki nuts, hankook s1 evo2 235x35/19
    stoppers: dba slotted rotors, ebc green stuff pads
    engine: cobb ap v2 - stage 1 (98ron), itv22 plugs,
    jbr egr block off, tb coolant bypass

While it is suggested to go to a colder plug when power/boost is increased (higher combustion temperatures) that's fine.
    But don't forget a lot of the improvement as mentioned above COULD also just be from having new plugs, not nesessarily better or different plugs.

Ive heard NGK Iridium plugs are very good for our cars, so I dropped them in and havnt looked back since.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast