User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: spark plugs

Never ever believe "pre-gapped"
    Yes maybe they are. But to what?
    How many different makes and models of cars in the world?
    How many different climates, modifications, power levels, driving conditions?
    So how many different size plug gaps do you think there is?

So ALWAYS check the plug gaps and adjust to suit your car and needs.
    Electrode Gap - Technical Information - NGK Spark Plugs Australia
    Modified / Performance Engines - Technical Information - NGK Spark Plugs Australia
    Spark Plug Analysis - Technical Information - NGK Spark Plugs Australia
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Never ever believe "pre-gapped"
    Yes maybe they are. But to what?
    How many different makes and models of cars in the world?
    How many different climates, modifications, power levels, driving conditions?
    So how many different size plug gaps do you think there is?

So ALWAYS check the plug gaps and adjust to suit your car and needs.
    Electrode Gap - Technical Information - NGK Spark Plugs Australia
    Modified / Performance Engines - Technical Information - NGK Spark Plugs Australia
    Spark Plug Analysis - Technical Information - NGK Spark Plugs Australia
    Yup. Agree with that

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

I agree too. The densos I got for the 3 were all over the shop.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

4. Default

Do most people purchase a fine gauge tool any more for things like plug gaps? I know I've used my old man's set a few times for various cars, best individual tool you can purchase for a specific purpose. You just can't compromise using/guessing with anything else.

This is what I used
    Borrowed them off my dad

Peter "SLIXX"

6. Default

plugs dont make a difference to a car in my opinion. iridium plugs may have a longer life span, thats all.

normal plugs should be fine unless you are running aggresive timing which will generate more heat and temps - this is when u need colder plugs or running a full MSD plug and coil set up.

but just fitting colder plugs into a stock car or even a 220kw MPS - i dont think its gonna do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaveli View Post
    plugs dont make a difference to a car in my opinion. iridium plugs may have a longer life span, thats all.

normal plugs should be fine unless you are running aggresive timing which will generate more heat and temps - this is when u need colder plugs or running a full MSD plug and coil set up.

but just fitting colder plugs into a stock car or even a 220kw MPS - i dont think its gonna do anything.
    220kw mps runs pretty aggressive timing... You're looking at mid to high teens of timing, with the turbo blowing a heap of hot air at 18psi above 5500rpm...
    Our turbos are undersized for our car... They're an upgrade for the 1.8L golf and Audi's
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    220kw mps runs pretty aggressive timing... You're looking at mid to high teens of timing, with the turbo blowing a heap of hot air at 18psi above 5500rpm...
    Our turbos are undersized for our car... They're an upgrade for the 1.8L golf and Audi's
    i was telling someone that last week. instead of fitting a good size turbo, running low boost pressures, they have increased capacity and fallen back into making the turbo work really hard to produce a mild 190kw (considering the capacity and compression ratio) - still dissapointed in Mazda for taking that approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaveli View Post

This seems to fly in the face of this whole thread. A lot of good advice, but you're not a believer?

It seemed to work for @slixx, properly spec'd plugs, got his car sorted.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

I'm sure my stock plugs would've have been done on my Stage 2

In prepping for a RichTune and he recommended the Iridium plugs as the spark colder

The only improvement I had with the new plugs was they were new. But the problems were actually gapping them

Peter "SLIXX"

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    This seems to fly in the face of this whole thread. A lot of good advice, but you're not a believer?

It seemed to work for @slixx, properly spec'd plugs, got his car sorted.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE
    A colder plug can make a difference, but you shouldnt be in a a position where you are required to run colder plugs at 220kw.
    @SarcasticOne - I am not familiar with the timing on the MPS - mid to high teens strike me as mild timing - whereas 22 and up is considered agressive. but it again comes back to the natural specs of the engine - high compression ratio and using alot of boost on a small turbo to make power is a no no.

My other post, is more to guys that think a colder plug is gonna give you some sort of visible difference.

a few MPS guys have 240/250kw on normal stock plugs.

I am going on holiday to Cape Town soon - i will take pics, videos of their MPSs - anything that anyone here, wants from there? I can even burn DVD for you. PM me.

Direct injection.. Heat ranges.. Nuff said.

13. Default

Hi guys can we get NGK colder ones or any others here in AUS off the shelf if so what is the part number, i'm in Sydney. I have hesitation in 4th WOT on a private road and doesn't feel right compared to 3rd, yet weird thing is on the dyno at Tunehouse it is making plenty of power.
    Last edited by shaneski; 05-05-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    Hi guys can we get NGK colder ones or any others here in AUS off the shelf if so what is the part number, i'm in Sydney. I have hesitation in 4th WOT on a private road and doesn't feel right compared to 3rd, yet weird thing is on the dyno at Tunehouse it is making plenty of power.
    Denso itv22. Not sure what the NGK equivalent is.

MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Default spark plugs

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Denso itv22. Not sure what the NGK equivalent is.

NGK Iridium IX
    But they need to be gapped

Peter "SLIXX"
    Last edited by slixx; 05-05-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Currently RaydTuned

16. Default

Thanks Slixx, can we get these from off the shelf here in AUS or have to order and pay dpuble for postage.

Get from edge auto sports $60 delivered

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    Thanks Slixx, can we get these from off the shelf here in AUS or have to order and pay dpuble for postage.
    Last quote i got was from Repco $29 each... which is rediculoous

These are your options

Email or PM Alan @EdgeAutosport.com
    I purchased 4 from Edge when i was putting my order with a whole bunch of other stuff so postage was pretty good
    Speak to Alan and see what he can do for a set of plugs or maybe get 2 sets

Search eBay
    I purchase another 8 from eBay for $95 from the UK... very good price

Currently RaydTuned

FYI.. Never trust the gap as they come.. They are all over the shop.

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    FYI.. Never trust the gap as they come.. They are all over the shop.
    I learnt to gap the effers years ago, i use to buy a set of 8 years back for a hemi 360 i use to drag and they were all different, that thing actually picked up 3 tenths gapping them out to 44, damn forced indcstion is a new learning curve

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast