User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wong noise..

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    hey all, does anyone have the technical service bulletin sent to mazda dealers regarding the gearbox oil? Took my car in for a service and told them about it, but they said they cant find it...

cheers
    Which dealer? If it's Centenary send me a PM and I'll pass on the details of my car so they can look it up and refresh their memory...

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SP23HO View Post
    I Just started getting the Wong Noise on my BL MPS with 8,000 km on the clock. Low speed turning with steady throttle.

Just did a 10K service 2 wks ago.

Changed the tranny fluid as well. They put some castrol stuff in it i believe..... Receipt at home.

Now question is, what is put in the tranny from the factory as i never experienced the noise before?

And is this because of the new fluid or does the noise just happen sooner or later?

With 4 yrs of factory warranty should i go straight back to mazda? (rockdale btw)
    Yep, it's the fluid. Surprised it was changed so early on though, on the BK 3 MPS it's a 40,000km service item.

Yep, it's the fluid. Surprised it was changed so early on though, on the BK 3 MPS it's a 40,000km service item.
    ---

It was requested by me, i now regret it after reading this thread.

I just always flush my trannies on first service when the cars new.

Is it possible to find out what the factory uses as it didn't occur prior to the service..
    Last edited by SP23HO; 16-05-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Just got my car serviced today, and when I dropped it off I bought the good old "wong wong" noise to there attention. They said they have never heard of this issue with Gen1 mps's, but said they would have a look at it for me. Picked up the car in the arvo and they ended up calling a mazda Tech in Sydney, and he confirmed what I had to told them. So they replaced my oil with Penrite SIN 75/90. All fixed under warranty

4. Default

Was this at Slaven

I use a local mechanic who I can trust. So I need to put Penrite SIN 75/90 in the gearbox. How many litres do I need????

Is the LSD oil the same and/or is it in the gearbox???? Many thanks, Greg.

Put a proper GL4 oil in

Ford XT-M5-QS or any GL4 WSD M2C200-C Rated Gear oill

My Gearbox only Wongs Slightly now when cold.. when warm wong is gone.. and i have the security and peace of mind knowing GL5 isnt eating my Synchroniser rings

I just wrote a thread the other day with my experiences with 4 different oils

nooooooooooooooooo.. then sin stuff is GL5...

ive said it over and over..

GL4 or buy an yarris

Blog Entries

Mazda put SIN75W90 in mine as warranty...should it have something else in there? It certainly solved the wong and made shiftinh a bit smoother...

Blog Entries

So accepting then that the GL5 Penrite SIN75W90 is not ideal, what's the preferred suitable drop(s)?

From penrite's product data; I'm somewhat re-assured by "good compatibility with copper alloy"
    But now I want a GL4

CUSTOMER BENEFITS
     Longer drain intervals due to less high
    temperature degradation.
     Superior protection against scoring and
    spalling wear which can occur under
    repeated shock load conditions.
     Good compatibility with copper alloy
    components and protects against
    corrosion.
     Reduces chatter in high performance
    competition and on-highway limited slip
    differentials.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Wiki's note on GL5 - 2.5% higher anti-scuffing additives that GL4

API GL-5, oils for severe conditions. They contain up to 6.5% effective antiscuffing additives. The general application of oils in this class are for hypoid gears having significant displacement of axes. They are recommended as universal oils to all other units of mechanical transmission (except gearboxes). Oils in this class, which have special approval of vehicle manufacturers, can be used in synchronized manual gearboxes only. API GL-5 oils can be used in limited slip differentials if they correspond to the requirements of specification MIL-L-2105D or ZF TE-ML-05. In this case the designation of class will be another, for example API GL-5+ or API GL-5 LS.

Penrite SIN Gear Oil 75 and 80 meet the performance requirements of:
    API GL-5/API GL-6
    MIL-L-PRF-2105E <-- How does this compare to MIL-L-2105D as stated above???
    In addition SIN Gear Oil 75W-90 meets:
    Ford M2C-200C BTR 5M-50 API MT-1

Wiki suggests that GL6 is defunct standard, GL5 being considered extreme enough and although penrite cites GL6 here, I'd tentatively suggest this looks like what wiki would call a GL-5+ oil that meets the LSD requirements. I guess confirming that requires comparing those MIL-L specs. Should I duck for cover for getting anything wrong, here?
    Last edited by Nexus; 01-07-2010 at 11:54 PM.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Stickied

11. Default

i made the mistake of thinking GL5 is better than GL4, put GL5 75w90 nulon into my box and first gear was really stiff and at times took a few seconds to engage. overall it felt like there was sand in the gearbox.
    i drained it on the weekend and put GL4 75w85 nulon into it and its a lot better now, still not as slick as i'd like but a massive improvement from the GL5.

interestingly though, your (MPS) handbook specifies 75w90 GL4, ive got a 3 diesel and it has the same gearbox but the book specifies 75w 90 GL4 OR GL5.
    castrol's datateck thing suggests VMX-80 GL4 75w85, nulon's datateck suggested the 75w90 GL5.

and this wongwong noise.. can i trouble someone to post a mp3 or video of this sound?

Quote Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
    interestingly though, your (MPS) handbook specifies 75w90 GL4, ive got a 3 diesel and it has the same gearbox but the book specifies 75w 90 GL4 OR GL5.
    castrol's datateck thing suggests VMX-80 GL4 75w85, nulon's datateck suggested the 75w90 GL5.
    perhaps it's the synchro's on the MPS that are different, or the diff maybe?
    The VMX80 is brilliant, I got Mazda to install it at my last service. Completely removed the 'Wong wong' 100% and improved shifting massively, including on cold starts. Highly recommend it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

13. Default

Penrite 75W90 is the only way to go. When I had my MPS, it was the beez kneeez

Even tho the Nulon was the same vis/heat rating, it just goes to show "oilz aint oilz"

Thats True, i had that on my MPS and they used the wrong Gearbox oil.

hmmm I've read almost 20 pages about woong woong noise, and I still don't know what it sounds like.. I think I have that noise on my MPS but it doesn't happen all the time.. mostly during cold start and I throttle it slowly while turning left, I can hear this "woong" noise towards the back of the car. I went to my dealer yesterday to go for a drive and I just can't make the noise no matter what I do, but the thing that shits me was just before we went for the drive as I was parking my car, it made the noise... any ideas peeps?

16. Default

The Wong Wong noise does not come from the rear of the car. It is audible from the LSD, predominantly from the left hand front wheel.

If your noise is coming from the rear, you've got a whole different issue.

Turn sharply at low speed, you will hear the noise from the front end.

If you don't. It's another issue as mentioned above.

ok so every time I turn sharply (slowly) I can hear it if I have the noise?

Video it...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Basically yes.

Find somewhere you can do a U-turn in first gear. Turn sharply and you should hear the 'wong wong' noise from the LSD.

You will know it straight away if you have the issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast