User Tag List

Thread: Mazda to license hybrid technology from Toyota

Blog Entries

Default Mazda to license hybrid technology from Toyota

Filed under: Hybrid, Technology, Mazda, Toyota

Starting in 2013, Mazda will become the second manufacturer (after Nissan) to directly use Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive technology. Mazda has signed a licensing agreement with the hybrid behemoth that will see the smaller company get a supply of hybrid hardware - presumably including transmissions, power electronics (including software) and battery packs.

The drive components will be paired up with the new-generation, direct-injected Sky engines that Mazda displayed at the Tokyo Motor Show last fall. Mazda will build a new hybrid vehicle starting in 2013 using this equipment, the first it has produced on its own. The only previous Mazda hybrid was the Tribute, a re-badged Ford Escape.

Nissan has now produced its own in-house hybrid system and when the Altima is redesigned in the next few years it seems unlikely it will retain its current Toyota hybrid system. Click past the break to view the press release.

[Source: Toyota | Mazda]Continue reading Mazda to license hybrid technology from Toyota

Mazda to license hybrid technology from Toyota originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

As long as Mazda don't get their brakes

Blog Entries

Got this email this morning...will be interesting to see how Mazda utilise this and the more hybrid cars on the road might drop the price making them accessible for everyday people.

Has anyone else heard the stuff about the nickel mine that they source the nickel thats found in the hybrid batteries? Apparently the pollution thats produced there is so bad that there is no life within a 2km radius of the place, NASA uses it for their rover experiments.

This is what I heard- not sure if its true, along with claims that the energy it takes to produce a hybrid car is so high its not even worth the energy it saves on the road.

If its true, I'm pretty against the idea of hybrids- bring on fuel cell technology!

Quote Originally Posted by thesilverdragon View Post
    Has anyone else heard the stuff about the nickel mine that they source the nickel thats found in the hybrid batteries? Apparently the pollution thats produced there is so bad that there is no life within a 2km radius of the place, NASA uses it for their rover experiments.

This is what I heard- not sure if its true, along with claims that the energy it takes to produce a hybrid car is so high its not even worth the energy it saves on the road.

If its true, I'm pretty against the idea of hybrids- bring on fuel cell technology!
    That's not one our WA nickel mines is it

I'm with you on the fuel cell or another totally undeveloped technology that is yet to be announced! Hybrids do have a much higher environmental cost that is not disclosed, yet the media love them so manufacturers will pursue this technology until something else is flavour of the month!

For now let's put our focus into lighter stronger bodies, smaller, more powerful internal combustion motors would get my vote
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Hybrid 6 please.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    That's not one our WA nickel mines is it

I'm with you on the fuel cell or another totally undeveloped technology that is yet to be announced! Hybrids do have a much higher environmental cost that is not disclosed, yet the media love them so manufacturers will pursue this technology until something else is flavour of the month!

For now let's put our focus into lighter stronger bodies, smaller, more powerful internal combustion motors would get my vote
    My thoughts : hydrogen. Not as a standalone fuel, but as a supplementary. Similar usage to LPG injection on diesels - more efficient, cleaner burn, more power from less fuel.

Hydrogen fuel cells can generate electricity from H2 as well, through a catalytic reaction.

Problem is we need an efficient H2 generation process for it to be practical, and an efficient storage method. metal hydride fuel cells are the most practical, but in recent years they've taken a back seat in terms of development; not sure why.

BMW did a H2 powered vehicle using a vacuum flask fuel tank with the H2 stored as a liquid, but that's just insanely volatile and I don't think anybody in their right mind would suggest that that's a good idea for mass production.

Chassis weight reduction etc os probably going to be the go. Perhaps we need to move to carbon fibre/composite structural components?
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.