User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CP-e downpipe questions

1. Default CP-e downpipe questions

Just wanted to confirm a few things before i bought it from mps garage.

1. Do both 02 sensors plug in before and after the metal cat with NO extending, and are their bungs in place or diy.

2. Has anyone had CEL's after install and if so what was done to avoid them.

3. Will it bolt up to cs catback exhaust, i presume so.

4. What would i expect to pay for install. around $200-$300?

5. smoke smoke smoke, any experienced after install?

Just checkin for peace of mind before i order and get a tune done...

Cheers

Hi Mate, I have one installed on my 6MPS

1. CP-E catted down pipe is supplied with both O2 sensor bungs and no wire extensions should be required.
    2. I have not had any CEL's after installation.
    3. If the CS catback bolts up to the back of the second factory cat then it should be fine as the CP-E down pipe replaces both factory cats with one hi-flow.
    4. Installation is a killer. have to loosen up engine mounts and lean the motor forward to get the factory down pipe out. I got mine done at the same time as some other mods so cant give an exact figure but i would allow min $300+
    5. Since the install i have experienced smoke at prolonged idle on a few occasions (once a month average). however it does not smoke every time... I took it to mazda as i am still under warranty but the car refused to smoke on the day. I am still trying to find the variable that causes it smoke sometimes and not others.

Hope that helped

3. Default

Cheers Toddy! Thats exactly what i'm after. Thanks for taking the time to message. I was mainly worried about the o2 sensors plugin in and no cel's.

Will probably get the cpe dump and cs catback and hopefully have minimal smoke issues.

Thanks again mate

get the ptp pill.. piece of mind for smoke

5. Default

We can guarantee no cutting of O2 sensor wiring with these DP's, just remove your old sensors & screw them back in. Both bungs are there.
    As for CEL's we can guarantee that as well with these, No CEL's form this install as long as it done correctly, we supply instructions with each pipe.
    The DP's will bolt up to any standard ( in length & SPD bolt centers) catback system, that gives you a large range of systems to pick from Corksport, CP-E & others.
    PM us & we can give you a price on installation.

Mine fitted up just fine. Bungs in place, no sensor wiring extensions needed. Done 10,000kms since. No CEL's. No smoke, even running 17psi boost.

Have no idea re fitting price as I fitted mine myself. Nor can I answer re CS exhaust link-up. My cat back system is stock. It's only flanges, gaskets and bolts anyway, and they can be modified if required. The CP_e DP has a flex section so the flange end can be moved a little to assist fit-up and alignment.

It's a nice tidy unit and performs well.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 29-03-2010 at 10:31 AM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

7. Default

Just ordered both from mps garage. Thanks so much for the info guys.

After having a look at the cpe dump their doesn't seem to be a flex pipe in their. As the motor on these move quite alot should i maybe get a flex pipe section put in or is it ok in handling the amount of flex the motor has?

There is a flexible connection in the CP-E downpipe. It should be able to deal with the torque-twist just fine. Haven't had a problem with it installed on mine.
    It will be right mate, you'll be happy with your purchase!

Image 1 is the MPS6 downpipe (flexible connection circled)
    Image 2 unknown downpipe (googled just to show you the flexible connection a bit better)

Hope that answers you question
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPE downpipe flex.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	2521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cpe_ms3_downpipe_large.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	2522  

I assume you're looking at the pic on the MPS garage website. The bulge you can see towards the back end is the flex joint. There is no cat shown on this down pipe but it will be located closer to the turbo end

I had the CPE DP on my mps gen 1. Cost me around $400 to install, and $500 to remove / and put stock one back on when i returned the car back to stock to sell it.

Never got a CEL, i think CPE put emphasis on their products not causing CELS.

Quote Originally Posted by jobo View Post
    Never got a CEL, i think CPE put emphasis on their products not causing CELS.
    Correct, however the mechanic that installed my DP mentioned that I got a CEL on first start up after installation. Turn the vehicle off. Restart and it was fine. So I think CEL cannot be ruled out 100% but I do not believe it is a big issue at all. Usually it will sort itself out after the first couple of fire-ups after installation (if needed at all) Also another thing is that the cat is still cold, might cause a CEL on cold start ups. Having a modified zorst, the initial sensor locations and design may not be 100% accurate to suit your modification, but I would say its pretty close. If you've restarted you car a few times and the CEL is still there, I would say its more of an issue.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

12. Default

Ah that all makes sense, i thought it was a flex joint. Cheers for that guys. Should get the cpe dp and cs catback just after easter!

I'll get some quotes for install and see how i go now i have some references.

cheers

Quote: "The install of the downpipe would approximately $350-400 depending on if any of the bolts/O2 sensors are seized, plus the fitment of the cat-back."

^ What the guy had to say about mine in an email at the place I had it done...to give an idea mate. If you're car has done higher kms, the bolts are more likely to be a mission to get off. My car had done around 21,000kms, the guy said it was no worries at all

The only real issue with the install would be the thread on the number 1 O2 sensor.

Just hope it doesn't cross thread or you'll be up for close to $500 for a new one.

15. Default

only $500. I might by 3 or 4 for spares.

Default O2 sensors

The trick is to be real patient taking out the O2 sensors. Use the correct (22mm) long sensor socket to protect the wires and to stop them from getting all twisted up. I released them from their connectors (under the inlet pipe and battery tray). That means you can set them aside safely while working on other things in the engine bay without fouling the delicate sensors.

Use tonnes of penetrating oil, CRC or INOX. Soak the threads before starting, for at least an hour. Apply some mild pressure on the socket to loosen the sensor. Add Inox. Gently re-tighten (lightly) and then re-loosen. Work it back and forth and keep adding Inox. Don't try to over loosen it all at one time, as carbon build up will cause you to force the thread and you will bugger it up. Eventually it will all come free and unscrew.

The turbo bolts came undone for me just fine even at 42,000km. Again, use lots of Inox and a good fitting socket. Getting the bottom nuts back onto the new CP_e DP is easy enough but tightening them adequately is harder, due to limited purchase and access room. I used a torque wrench to ensure correct and even tensions. It's easier to access some from underneath but you need a real long extension on your socket set. It's easier if the engine mounts have been disconnected and the engine leaned forward almost as far as it will go, as this creates more room between the back of the engine and the firewall. The gasket can be re-used if you haven't messed it up on removal.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 02-04-2010 at 05:14 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Hi All, As like kckortez I'm on the cusp of ordering a CP-e Downpipe. Can anyone recommend a Bris Vegas installer for such work?

Really great reading all the contributions, especially Doug_MPS6 line by line guide on O2 sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Hi All, As like kckortez I'm on the cusp of ordering a CP-e Downpipe. Can anyone recommend a Bris Vegas installer for such work?

Really great reading all the contributions, especially Doug_MPS6 line by line guide on O2 sensors.
    Allstar Tuning Systems

Unit 89, 193 South Pine Road Brendale http://www.atsperformance.com.au/

I got my CP-e DP delivered last week and it goes on this Thursday. I'm based on the Central Coast and have a local performance tuner doing the work. They also look after EcuTek so a tune might be down the track.

This is my first performance mod and to say I am excited is an understatement. I was going to put an SRI on first but they havent come in yet so the DP was next on the list.

So Doug_MPS6/2XS, the million dollar question...Do you like or love the CP-E install? Was it everything you hoped it would be? I just wonder whether it is better spending the money on a Ezytune. Or is the Ezytune so much more effective with those exhaust mods installed first. Thanks again for the advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast