User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Limiting power in 1st and 2nd

1. Default Limiting power in 1st and 2nd

I was reading that the power of the 3MPS is limited in 1st and 2nd gears to help stop torque steer. i imagine there is some switches on the gearbox to let the ECU know when it is in 1st or 2nd. has anyone bypassed these or does anyone know if it can be done? i want full power in 1st and 2nd.

I will bring some tools home on monday and have a look to see what the deal is, and will post my findings if there are any.

Cheers

very keen to hear about your findings

Thats a very good question.

I would imagine there are, but I dont think anyone has ever investigated it from that angle.

If you find something interesting, feel free to let us know

From what I have read/heard (can't remember where maybe MSF) but the boost is limited by the ECU in 1st and 2nd as part of the torque steer controls Mazda put in. A Cobb AP with one of their maps allegedly removed this not sure if you could make it switchable for drags and stuff? There'll be some MPS 3 owners here who would know a lot more
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

I thought part of it was also that with 2WD all you would do is smoke your tyres if you had full power. Would be interesting to see how liveable it would be.

I dont know much about gearbox's but i dont think there would be a switch to let the ECU know which gear its in (apart from reverse to turn the lights on). My guess would be that it uses engine RPM and speed to calculate which gear is selected.

Yeah that is very possible, and simpler as well.

Be interesting to see what comes out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    I dont know much about gearbox's but i dont think there would be a switch to let the ECU know which gear its in (apart from reverse to turn the lights on). My guess would be that it uses engine RPM and speed to calculate which gear is selected.
    you are correct..

I personally dont mind the boost limiting as the car is quick as is..

what i hate is the boost cut then your steering angle sensor is triggered ie more than a fir degrees turned on the steering wheeeeel

The boost limit can be removed via the ECU. Chiptorque can do this for you if you need.

There is also a boost limit on the steering angle, as also stated.

10. Default

does the boost limit on the steering angle exist in the MPS6 as well ?

The cut of power when steering wouldnt it be part of the DSC system?

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    The cut of power when steering wouldnt it be part of the DSC system?
    I don't understand why bother trying to get more power out of 1st & 2nd, Please explain makes no sense, I struggle for traction with 235 tyres in those 2 gears
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    I don't understand why bother trying to get more power out of 1st & 2nd, Please explain makes no sense, I struggle for traction with 235 tyres in those 2 gears
    Switch back to 14psi then
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Default Swas

Quote Originally Posted by Ranton View Post
    you are correct..

I personally dont mind the boost limiting as the car is quick as is..

what i hate is the boost cut then your steering angle sensor is triggered ie more than a fir degrees turned on the steering wheeeeel

The SWAS is easy to remove without disrupting the 1st-2nd boost reduction. I have covered this before.

I ran without steering angle boost/torque reduction for more than a year, works well.

Search is your friend. If you can't find the info required I will provide details
    Last edited by magoo; 28-03-2010 at 11:34 AM.
    08 VW GTI PIRELLI DSG - 1 OF 400
    S3 HEART WITH 229 kw OF APR GOODNESS

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Switch back to 14psi then
    I still drive on 14.5psi Al used 18psi twice and leave dsc on you know me I don't press buttons, I jump in and drive you showed me how to re-adjust the dash light when the lights were on during the day

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post

Exactly ... I dont get it either
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Exactly ... I dont get it either
    Thats why you are a MPS6 driver so... slow is okay
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

18. Default

MPS6 doesnt need to be limited in 1st and 2nd gear dear Al ... cause it can handle the power

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    MPS6 doesnt need to be limited in 1st and 2nd gear dear Al ... cause it can handle the power
    You tell him BB

You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

I think we need limiting in 3rd gear on some days!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast