User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perth Storm Damage Help

Default Perth Storm Damage Help

My baby was badly hit, It is insured with AAMI for $35K.

I went to a 1st panel beater, and they said this will not be a write off
    as the repair cost is $13K!! (I think that’s very low). They explained they are too busy to repair for at least several months. Not happy.

I went to a 2nd panel beater, he said this is a write off, as pillar A is affected and potentially be structure damaged. Unfotunately he wouldn’t write me a cover letter saying it’s a write off.

I will be seeing assessor in 2 weeks time. I want it to be written off if the structure is damaged.

What can I say to the assessor to have the carwritten off?

thanks,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1302.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	2508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1303.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	2509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1304.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	2510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1305.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	2511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1306.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	2512  

2. Default

makes me sad to see that such a beautiful car damaged ... looking at it nearly every panel has hail damage, I think $13K is way too low an estimate.

Its hard to see the damage to pillar A from your pictures but isnt the damage all cosmetic not structural .. being a person with totally no idea ... I wouldnt think a car was a write off for damage unless either its structurally unsound or cosmetic damage exceeds a percentage of what the car is worth ?? If that is true I wouldnt think it would be more than say $25K worth to repair cosmetic damage

but anyway like I said I have no idea, but sure lots of people on here will have an idea
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Really sad - I hate to see cars damaged like that. Son tore the suspension out of his SP25, $13,000 damage to suspension plus some minor body damage, it was repaired. When he picked it up it drove better than new, a couple of days later noticed that one side had been painted and there was a ripple in the "C" pillar - sold it ASAP.

It's up to the insurance company, but highly unlikely to be a write-off, Ive heard of new roof panels/bonnet, boot lid etc being replaced in the Sydney hail a few years ago.

If it happened to me I would rather it be written off than repaired.

Sorry to see the damage must hurt, I agree with Rd415 I can't see them writing the car off with a value of 35k and 13k damage but I'm with you I don't know if I would keep it knowing what happen to the car...Good luck with it the storm surely did a good job of it

I shed a tear

I hope it all goes well with the repairs

Los,

I too am waiting for insurance to call me back
    They called a tow truck driver the other day and told them to collect my vehicle and take it to their holding yard
    However the insurance company never called me to discuss it
    So, the car will be staying with me until i can get in contact with them or they call me

Might be best to wait and see what the Insurance assessor says ?

Ouch man, I feel for you

I'm not an insurance expert, but postmandan is very knowledgeable in this area!

On the structure, again not a structural engineer (must be some here!) but this pic of the MPS 6 structure shows the A and C Pillar panels as part of the structure, I was assuming that to repair these pillars they would cut them, peel them off the chassis and reweld them when they replace the panel either way I'd rather not have the car back after this much repair work, but if they do repair it hopefully you get a decent paint job. Good luck mate

R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

hi, ive been a spraypainter for almost 15 years. i dont under stand how this could have ANY structural damage, its all cosmetic, and probably wouldnt cost as much as you think.
    Think how much for the panels... new bonnet, boot lid, gaurds, and theyll put 4 new door skins on. NOT whole new door shells. and a roof. Bonnet and boot could also get put down for second hand, along with the gaurds. although the bonnet might be hard to find 2nd hand cause its MPS specific. Thats if its 3 years old and out of warranty, thats what AAMI does. Make the assessor know that your very fussy and wont accept it any other way than perfect. there is a good chance he'll wright it off so he doesnt have to deal with you if you are unhappy with any repair work down the track. tell him you dont want it back. seee what he says. but being insured for $35000 wont help. for example, if they pay you 35k and get i dunno.... 15k for the car at auctions. its cost them 20k. versus the cost of a 13k repair.

Don't know if this has any relevance in Aus. but in the UK, Mazda are promoting their Mazda Accident Aftercare. Basically what it is is that your car is damaged and you can insist, by UK law, that Mazda recover the car and take it to a Mazda dealer for repair. The insurance company cannot dictate where the car is repaired. Mazda manage the whole process and even supply a courtesy car. They even assist with the insurance claim process. What is surprising that it is FREE. The big advantage is that you get your job done to Mazda standard with all new Mazda parts. Must help at resale.

Might be worth looking into in Aus.

Thanks everyone for the input. I really appreciate it.
    Someone from work told me he had his 3MPS being written off,
    I will find out more.

that brings tears to my eyes seeing that. onr of my worst fears of mine is hail on my car. hope u get it all sorted. all the best

Lovin' driving on the F3 every day!!!! NOT
    Blog Entries

Mate sorry to see. My wife had her Grand Vitara repaired a few years back and it was much worse than that. I would have to agree that I would not expect any structural damage from a hail storm.
    I think the amount of repairs they have to do and how close the assessor thinks the repair value of your car is to their limit will determine whether it gets written off.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by cotn View Post
    hi, ive been a spraypainter for almost 15 years. i dont under stand how this could have ANY structural damage, its all cosmetic, and probably wouldnt cost as much as you think.
    I would myself get mine fixed with new panels and would be happy if it were repaired to a high standard. To replace my MPS 6 now would not leave me felling too good - it is such a good car, and what would I replace it with using the measly payout I would receive it were written off.
    That said, I escaped the hail this time. Sad to see that happen to your car mate.

Quote Originally Posted by cotn View Post
    I agree with cotn, I don't understand how there can be much structural damage, unless what they mean is that replacing that part will then affect the structural integrity (cut and weld new panel?)

Generally if the vehicle exceeds 60-70% of what the vehicle is insured for then it's a write off. An experienced panel beater and family friend told us that. If the quote is coming close to that 60% mark, if I were you I would be considering pushing AAMI for the write off and get another 6 (original condition)

I've heard some bad things about AAMI (even though my MPS6 and mates MPS6 is insured with them) My words are; if you're getting a repair, look paintwork defects, dodgy work, the finish...etc (if you can nominate a repairer (i.e a mate, or somewhere you've gone before...do it) I've heard that AAMI cuts out things like sand paper, nominates second hand parts, basically anything to save them money, yet still claiming its a A1 repair. I've also heard some panel beaters knock back AAMI repair jobs because AAMI does not believe in repairing the vehicle to "industry" or "manufactures standards" (which is what most panel beats are proud of...working to those standards)

Anyone that can correct me or has experienced a repair job by AAMI that was exceptional then my comments above must just be some bad customer service or typical rumours, just felt the need to say it.

For your sake mate, hope your pride and joy gets either repaired or written off (which ever you prefer or which ever works out) hassle free

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Cars are 'sectional' so even if a car is in a serious colision, all they do is pull it straight first then unpick the damaged panels re spotweld new bits on such as pillars. That being said, if my car got hailed on I would be absolutely spewing! I wouldn't want it back either, hope it all works out for you.

Good luck with the repair mate. Hope you get the best possible outcome.

The guy at work had a 05 3MPS written off. The damages extended to indicators and tail lights as well. With 05 model, the market value was lesser $28-$29K and hence written off.
    MIne is 07 insured with $35K, I dont like my chances.

I feel your pain... My car also has got hail damage. Its been hard to have the time to leave work to get it assesed. (QBE). Let me know how it goes.. I dont beleive my car will be written off as I am insured for agreed value of 41k. Having said that one collegue of mine ( wrx STI ) quoted between 20-30k in damamge. Basically if you look at it there is most likely allot of cutting, painting and welding to be carried out to repair roof damage etc. Not to mention re fitting all internal linnings. Anyway keep me posted how it goes, vice versa....

Ouch... The damage is pretty bad.
    Good luck with AAMI.

Quote Originally Posted by Furion View Post
    Basically if you look at it there is most likely allot of cutting, painting and welding to be carried out to repair roof damage etc.
    Depending on the car obviously. It could only take a few hours to replace the roof. Some of them dont even get welded anymore. there is a glue they now use which is approved by the insurance companies and complies with crash testing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast