User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 litres to 2.3

1. Default 6 litres to 2.3

Hi all,
    just sold my 6 litre V8 SS for a brand new gen 2 MPS....
    wow! what a car! I now drive everwhere with this huge grin on my face, very similar to my new grill. Happy to be part of the club and looking forward to a few mods and advice from everyone. Cheers.

to OzMPSClub!

Great to hear you love your new ride.

It's good to see that with 4 less cylinders, it still has the acceleration power that you had in your V8!

What colour? Post up some pix!

G'day fillo and welcome! Glad to see you came round and purchased a superior driving machine!
    V8's can be fast, but for 6.0L I would expect so! I always think of a typical commofalcon V8 as "fast" but not "quick" if you know what I mean...

Have you got any mod's already planned for your new ride? And...what colour have you got?

Welcome to the forum mate. SS to MPS hey. That's some swap. Contrats on your purchase. Enjoy!

Welcome and enjoy.. For some reason there is more satisfaction beating a V8 in a 4 pot than beating a 4pot in a V8.

You will leave them wondering how a mazda 3 whooshed past

Blog Entries

Great swap. Welcome to the forum!

8. Default

Cheers all,
    yeah not you usual swap but one test drive and I was hooked!
    Acceleration pull through.....wow!!
    The v8 was fast but that size engine only comes into its own at speeds not fit for our roads - wasted!
    There is something very satisfying about the look you get when reality hits that a mazda has just blown their doors off..!
    Looking for some mods....advice please.
    Colour is velocity RED.

An SRI (short ram intake) is most peoples first mod. Greatly improves throttle response and induction sound. Best bang for buck to get you started. Exhaust would be your next step then a tune perhaps.

I assume you mean performance mods? Depending on your budget, typically you would be looking at a decent intake system, either SRI or CAI its up to you. Maybe a look into a FMIC, (consider your entire intake system and where you wanna go with it and how much $ you have in mind first). A BOV may be on the cards. An exhaust system, (getting the cat-back is up to you as I am not sure how much is to be gained by increasing the piping and getting new mufflers, mainly just for sound) a downpipe (or RP) will give you a decent increase. The main power gain is getting the ECU flashed, again depends on your budget! Handling and suspension-wise, a set of decent springs, or for something a little more special, a set of coilovers, would be nice.

A few other things which the guys might suggest (or correct me on) but typically those are the typical things done on the MPS3 or MPS6 to give her a little more pull and sound!
    Last edited by rogwick; 29-03-2010 at 01:34 PM.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

First and foremost mod is an SRI like the MZR ones (pm DISIMS3). Makes a whole world of difference to the sound (can hear the turbo spool and even with the stock BPV it goes "whaampssshhh" haha) and gives it a lil kick aswell. After this you could look into a turbo inlet pipe, FMIC, cat back exhaust but all of these are far more expensive that na SRI for very similar gains.

Enjoy the beast though, cause i know i still have a stupid grin every time i drive mine!!

12. Default

Thanks for the advice.
    Question from the amateur - I noticed with air intakes there are the 'short' ones close to the engine and then theres ones on longer pipes that look to go down into the grill or near the road.....what are the benefits/differences?

I don't believe there are any major differences in performance between The SRI and the CAI. Some could argue that the CAI (hence the name) has the ability to filter cooler air, being located further away from the engine. Then again, when the vehicle is moving forward, cool air is rushing into the engine bay via grilles any way...I would say the SRI would be easier to remove/service considering its location in comparison to the CAI. In any case, both filtrations are better than a big air box and a panel filter. Also makes changing lights a lot easier cause you don't need to remove the intake to get to it.

Comes down to personal preference really. There may be a difference in noise. With your passenger window down I would not be surprised if the CAI was a little more louder than the SRI, due to the SRI being located under the bonnet (not that it matters) *Noise is also dependant on what type of TIP you got, stock, silicone or aluminium.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by rogwick; 29-03-2010 at 02:51 PM.

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

What are the recommended brands for CAI for MPS6?
    Also does anyone have CorkSport MPS 6 Power Series Front Mount Intercooler Kit with Cold Air Induction installed?

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    *Noise is also dependant on what type of TIP you got, stock, silicone or aluminium.
    Do you mean by the exhaust tip?

Default Re: 6 litres to 2.3

For the corksport kit checkout mpsgarage.com.au last I checked they had one on their 6mps

Hey there...... welcome to the Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    Do you mean by the exhaust tip?
    TIP = Turbo Inlet Pipe.

Onyx, TIP = Turbo Inlet Pipe

I've got the COBB Tuning Silicone pipe installed on my MPS6, there is also the corksports Aluminium TIP and the 3" transitional silicone CP-E TIP available on MPSgarage. The TIP is the member between your intake and turbo. The stock plastic piece seems a bit restrictive.

I don't know many recommended brands that would easily fit an MPS6 other that the CP-E CAI. I have it installed on my MPS6. It's actually on special at mpsgarage at the moment. The fit is pretty good, but, you will have to modify the mounting plate a bit to dodge your refrigerant A/C pipe run (the CP-E CAI was designed for the US Mazdaspeed6)

Can't help you with the CorkSport MPS 6 Power Series Front Mount Intercooler Kit

M P S

Quote Originally Posted by MPShiv View Post
    First and foremost mod is an SRI like the MZR ones (pm DISIMS3). Makes a whole world of difference to the sound (can hear the turbo spool and even with the stock BPV it goes "whaampssshhh" haha) and gives it a lil kick aswell. After this you could look into a turbo inlet pipe, FMIC, cat back exhaust but all of these are far more expensive that na SRI for very similar gains.

Enjoy the beast though, cause i know i still have a stupid grin every time i drive mine!!
    Put an MZR brand SRI one on my car on the weekend and am loving it. Best bang for your bucks you can get.

Welcome to the MPS world!

20. Default

Welcome and congrats on your new car and downgrading from a gas guzzler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast