User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To: Clutch Adjustment MPS 6

Default How To: Clutch Adjustment MPS 6

Posting a link for this , as i have done the clutch adjustment, feels a lot better with the releases, but it's personal prefence. more info about our cars.

How-To: MS6 Clutch adjustment - Mazda Forums

I might give this a try on the weekend just to see wat difference it makes.

Thanks for the link

I wasn't really expecting much but it really does make a difference. its worth the 5min to test it out

I'm curious what does this do for you?

It smoothed out the clutch release action. As i have a 11/05 build MPS6 with the original "grabby" clutch this made a big difference. Although i have had the car for a while now and didn't really mind the feeling of the clutch i thought i'd test this out. It moves the friction point of the clutch a bit closer to the floor where the clutch pedal spring has a more linear spring rate..

I'm not sure if that makes sense but give it a go and see what you think.

I did the clutch adjustment about the same time I complained to the dealer about the clutch. It was some time before it was decided by the dealer to replace the clutch and some time waiting for the new parts to arrive.

The adjustment worked so well that I contemplated not getting the new clutch installed. Rarely stalled the car after the adjustment - much smoother and precise.

Hmm might try it out then, cheers

Since you guys are trying it, I might give it a go. Just makes me a little nervous that the car would be more girlfriend-friendly. The way it is now...she can't drive it!

I did this mod last year and it made a world of difference - could probably go another turn to optimise...

The main aspect of this adjustment is that it makes the leg action more "natural" in dropping the take off point lower down.

How far did you guys actually move the stop bolt in? I am going to have another go at this tomorrow. Btw a tip for those going to try this if you are going to mark the bolt with a marker make sure it doesnt just wipe off *sigh*. I am really struggling to get in their properly and first go I don't think I moved the actuator rod in far enough. Took it for a quick drive and didnt notice any obvious clutch burn and it does feel a bit better now.

Going from memory, about 3 turns on the stop bolt. It brought it more or less level with the brake pedal. The push rod adjustment is fiddly because of where it is. This is where a 10 year old child is invaluable. The adjustment on the push rod is much smaller than the stop bolt. The important thing is to make sure that the pedal, at rest, is not pushing the push rod otherwise you will wear the clutch. The amount of free play should be tiny (pubic hair). Basically, if you can move the push rod sideways slightly then it is not hard up against the pedal. If you can't, then the pedal is pushing.
    It is definitely a question of "trial and error". As soon as you have got it feeling right in terms of the operating arc, like any other car, check for no clutch slip or clutch drag.
    Best of luck, makes it much better.

I moved mine in 2 full turns and that seemed to work good for my car

Seems to me that having a clutch that is "un-girlfriend friendly" is possibly a good thing.

BTW, I have an '05 model with original clutch and don't mind it at all. It's short and sharp and that's the way I like it. And without wishing to appear supercilious, I dunno how people can stall a motor with it, unless they aren't really aware of what's going on.

Clutch free-play adjustment would normally be undertaken at prescribed service intervals anyway, unless some folks are not following their service handbooks.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Well I think I've gotten it pretty good now. For those of us more technical is there anyway to know if you have reduced it too much?(clutch not fully disengaging) Short of grinding when you change gear is there anything we should be looking out for?

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but is there a "How to" for adjusting the clutch on a MPS 3 ?
    I tried the search but to no avail. Is it the same as a MPS 6 ?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ribaree View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but is there a "How to" for adjusting the clutch on a MPS 3 ?
    I tried the search but to no avail. Is it the same as a MPS 6 ?
    Cheers

Bump
    Anyone ?
    2007 3MPS - Aurora Blue

its the same as the MPS6

Ice

Thanks
    I'll give it a go

19. Default

I just had a look at my 2007 mps3 setup and it looks nothing like your photo :-( screws are not there... Guess it cant be done??

The AWR engine mount kit helped SOOOOO much with the way the clutch feels and engages, even after adjustment mine was a bit tricky due to the spec stage 3a clutch but after the mounts were installed it became easy to engage, the take off was better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast