User Tag List

Thread: Should i lower MPS6?King Springs?

Default Should i lower MPS6?King Springs?

Hey

just wondering if lowering the mps on king springs is worth it?Know it will look heaps better but how does it effect the ride?Much worse??Thanks

2. Default

I would wait until you can afford good quality springs and just live with the way it looks and the ease of getting over speedhumps, driveways, gutters etc etc for a while

Depends on your budget mate. Coilovers or adjustable suspension is probably going to be the better option for stability and handling. On the other side, a set of King springs are much more affordable. My mates got them in his MPS6 (pretty sure they're just "low", not "super" or "ultra low") I'm looking at getting them on my 6. The handling is greatly improved for the $ spent. It's harder, sharper, snappy around corners. As for the ride (I was concerned about it cause you see all those comofalcons bouncing around like crazy) its not bad at all. No annoying bouncing. If you want more info, chase up Toddy22587, I'm sure he'll be happy to answer your questions/quires
    Last edited by rogwick; 25-03-2010 at 04:12 PM.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

NO! More disadvantages than advantages - the only advantage is the looks.

As BB says, driveways, speed bumps etc become a driving hazard. As far as handling, mainly in the head. Low C of G works well on a track with slick tyres and perfect road surface - the tyres do the work. On our crap roads the suspension does the work. Good tyres help.

I bought some super low king springs off Shakepeare who moved on to coilovers.

I love them. The car looks great with the approx 30mm taken out of it, and the ride is pretty much standard. It handles a little better and it doesn't squat in the rear on heavy acceleration like standard.

For the $ they are a great upgrade. Thats unless you want to hit the track, then they probably aren't enough of a handling change compared to coilovers.

Depends on your driving style and budget.

Yes, dump here on make it sit on its ass King Springs would be the best choice if you dont wana go the coil overs path. .

All gen1 Mazda 6's including MPS are prone to front wheel alignment problems. There have been recalls, TSB's and all sorts of attempts to correct what is essentially a design flaw, but many cars still suffer. The most common problem on the MPS6 is inadequate front camber, resulting in the outside edges of the tyres wearing excessively and evil handling characteristics. I've lost count of the PM's I've had from members with this problem.

If your car suffers from inadequate front camber, there are currently three ways to correct it; lowering, adjustable ball joints, or eccentric bushes from Fulcrum. There is potentially a fourth option of an adjustable lower control arm, but development has gone quiet. The ball joints are known to fail and the bushes are expensive to install.

In my case, lowering the car with H&R springs increased the camber from POSITIVE!!! 0.1 to about neg 1.2. This has transformed the car. It now goes in a straight line for the first time in almost four years, it handles significantly better and my tyres last ten times longer.

Interesting thing about my H&R/Bilstein combination is that the ride is so much softer and more compliant, you'd expect it to handle poorly, but it sits flatter and cornering speeds are increased. Of course I now have to be very careful about where I take the car because the 6 has way too much front overhang which exacerbates the negative effects of lowering.

Just be aware that if you only change your springs you might expect the stock dampers to have a shorter life span.

You can get Bilsteins from Heasman's for about $250 each. They are in a class of their own and they're worth every cent, especially when you consider they'll almost certainly outlast your car. If you have the suspension in bits it would be a false economy not change the dampers at the same time.

Gone to Volvo

Thanks for all the info mate

Was wondering if it was the shocks or the springs that made the ride softer because i am really dont want the ride harder than it is now...would king springs and bilstein shocks make the ride softer?That is the combination i am thinking of going?Thanks

In my case it's almost certainly the combination of both. The King/Bilstein combo may or may not work the same, but in any case part of the magic of billies is their lack of harshness. The only limitation with the Billies is that they only suit a drop of no more than 1.5 inches, otherwise they'll bottom out.

I ran the H&R springs with Billies only in the front for a couple of weeks until I got around to installing the rear shocks. It was a surprisingly well-balanced combination. I'm not saying the Kings would necessarily give the same result, but if you want to save a few bucks, you could leave the rear shocks until later.

Gone to Volvo

10. Default

Go the coils.

If you get some Tein Super Streets you can electronicly adjust the ride.

My H&R's have been on my car for 3 years and no problems what so ever.

where do you get H and R springs from??How much are they?I am on gold coast?

THanks

Around $500 plus postage on MPSgarage. Not sure where else you can get them

http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/pro...t-springs.html

13. Default

works wheels have them for MPS6, when i brought my wheels they told me and the price was pretty good from memory too and they are a really good company to deal with heres website --->

Suspension - Call us Today!

hey kmh001...are your springs coilovers??Thanks

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    All gen1 Mazda 6's including MPS are prone to front wheel alignment problems. There have been recalls, TSB's and all sorts of attempts to correct what is essentially a design flaw, but many cars still suffer. The most common problem on the MPS6 is inadequate front camber, resulting in the outside edges of the tyres wearing excessively and evil handling characteristics. I've lost count of the PM's I've had from members with this problem.

If your car suffers from inadequate front camber, there are currently three ways to correct it; lowering, adjustable ball joints, or eccentric bushes from Fulcrum. There is potentially a fourth option of an adjustable lower control arm, but development has gone quiet. The ball joints are known to fail and the bushes are expensive to install.

In my case, lowering the car with H&R springs increased the camber from POSITIVE!!! 0.1 to about neg 1.2. This has transformed the car. It now goes in a straight line for the first time in almost four years, it handles significantly better and my tyres last ten times longer.

Interesting thing about my H&R/Bilstein combination is that the ride is so much softer and more compliant, you'd expect it to handle poorly, but it sits flatter and cornering speeds are increased. Of course I now have to be very careful about where I take the car because the 6 has way too much front overhang which exacerbates the negative effects of lowering.

Just be aware that if you only change your springs you might expect the stock dampers to have a shorter life span.

You can get Bilsteins from Heasman's for about $250 each. They are in a class of their own and they're worth every cent, especially when you consider they'll almost certainly outlast your car. If you have the suspension in bits it would be a false economy not change the dampers at the same time.
    What do you mean by "way too much front overhang which exacerbates the negative effects of lowering"?

Quote Originally Posted by esp22 View Post
    hey kmh001...are your springs coilovers??Thanks
    Answering for him He has Bilstein Shocks and H&R springs!

Quote Originally Posted by mazda6mps View Post
    What do you mean by "way too much front overhang which exacerbates the negative effects of lowering"?
    Front overhang is reasonably long, therefore when you go down a steep driveway onto a flat road your front end will scrape if you are too low!

I've lowered mine about 35-40mm with the coilovers and scrape occasionally, did have it lowered about 40-45mm and this scraped often so I lifted it a little

BTW back on topic, but the Kings I had were good and value for money they were excellent and served their purpose well i.e. lower the car 25-30mm without compromising too much in way of ride and/or handling. The coilovers are great from a handling and looks point of view, though the ride is very hard!
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

17. Default

he probably means that at stock height the overhang of the front nose (length from front of wheels) with the body kit and everything on it, the car sits very low at the front without much ground clearance despite the wheel gap in the arches and is already seriously prone to scraping on gutters, steep driveways etc etc.

By lowering it you get handling & cosmetic benefits and less wear on your tyres due to the effect on the camber but on the downside you add to a problem that already exists in a big way, with how much the car is already prone to scraping at the front.

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

took me so long to type chris already answered
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

18. Default

thanks, makes more sense now.

think that lowering will exaacerbate the rear diff housing bolts coming loose?

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post

[/COLOR]took me so long to type chris already answered
    No problemo Mel

Quote Originally Posted by mazda6mps View Post
    thanks, makes more sense now.

think that lowering will exaacerbate the rear diff housing bolts coming loose?
    Errh can't see why? theory on the bolts loosening was diff wind up from smaller than stock tyres (is conjecture from the service manager and not confirmed!)
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6