User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st. or 2nd.

Default 1st. or 2nd.

When accelerating from a standstill, which is the quickest. Starting off in 1st. gear or 2nd. gear? Any comment more than welcome.

I reckon you would burn the clutch starting in second (if you were hammering it) I would say first gear in just about any car would be quickest, without getting technical

I am assuming that by "quickest" you mean a full power launch. I would have to agree with Rog that launching in 2nd gear would put more stress on the clutch as we both have AWD so the wheels wont spin (much) to relieve the stress on the drivetrain.

However i have never driven a 3MPS so i'm not really sure what would happen.

The 3MPS as the torque to take off even in third gear (I did it accidentally during my test drive) but I wouldn't recommend taking off from a stop in any gear other than 1st.

5. Default

start in 2st, get it from 1st to 2nd to 3rd as quick as you can where the real beast is waiting

from my experience best starts are in 1st, take her to almost 6,000 rpm and then drop into 2nd. This has worked for me and I have tried just about everything.

Thanks for the advice Betty and guys. I can only take it up to 5000rpm at this stage as I'm running in the engine after a few mods, and then it will have a dyno tune when I've done 1000ks. And theeeeeen I hope.

8. Default

what mods

Yeah I agree with BB, start it in first but then get out of it as quick as possible.

The only problem is by the time you are finished boosting in 3rd you are already over the 100kmph speed limit, lol

The following mods have been done by MPS Garage. Most of the products made by CPE. BOV. Down pipe. Turbo inlet pipe. FMIC. 3 pod dash mount with oil pressure, volt meter and boost gauges. Stand Back with harness. Barone short throw gear change. 4 Pauter con rods, {No. 4 was bent}. 4 new pistons, {No. 4 had a defect} and a CAI.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    When accelerating from a standstill, which is the quickest. Starting off in 1st. gear or 2nd. gear? Any comment more than welcome.
    1st gear to 6000 rpm, straight into 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    The following mods have been done by MPS Garage. Most of the products made by CPE. BOV. Down pipe. Turbo inlet pipe. FMIC. 3 pod dash mount with oil pressure, volt meter and boost gauges. Stand Back with harness. Barone short throw gear change. 4 Pauter con rods, {No. 4 was bent}. 4 new pistons, {No. 4 had a defect} and a CAI.
    Thats not a list of mods, thats a list that I had in my dreams lol.

Nice work mate, very nice.

I had my previous Gen 2 mps tuned. And would still recommend 1st gear take offs.

Mind you, with a tune, it will be a rush to get out of first before you hit redline lol.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

1 to 6,000 rpms and then straight to 3rd? I will have to give that a go! Never been a fan of skipping gears, I always figured they were there for a reason.

2nd gear launches are ok if you have had a tune, with over 400nm at the wheels, this is an acceptable process, but, with sticky tyres (ie slicks) and a very hard launch, it is a pointless exercise. I've proved this point at Willowbank.

What are you hoping to acheive from this?

Drags? Circuit? Traffic light GP?

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    2nd gear launches are ok if you have had a tune, with over 400nm at the wheels, this is an acceptable process, but, with sticky tyres (ie slicks) and a very hard launch, it is a pointless exercise. I've proved this point at Willowbank.

What are you hoping to acheive from this?

Drags? Circuit? Traffic light GP?
    Red light warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    I'm never drinking again

Quote Originally Posted by Transformer View Post
    1st gear to 6000 rpm, straight into 3rd.
    Does short shifting like this damage/put stress on anything? I've heard stuff about avoiding it.

I tend to hold 1st to 5500rpm or so, 2nd to 5000rpm and then 3rd. Haven't timed it but feels quicker than other methods I've tried.

Me I change at 3000rpm to 2nd,3000rpm to 3rd and straight 4th to 5th normal driving...
    Down hill start's from lights i normally start in 2nd......
    When i play never go over 4 -4500rpm in 1st & 2nd maybe 5000rpm in 3rd... on the track the same, I like to look after everything..

My 1st is a pain now if i want to move quickly
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Default Re: 1st. or 2nd.

Lol rino he is talking about launching the car not normal driving

Use them both, use first and rapid, then use 2nd and the jump point to 3rd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast