User Tag List

Thread: Smelly exhaust fumes

Default Smelly exhaust fumes

Hey guys I just Drove my car to the gym and back on the way back had a bit of a funtime in it lol, well when I got home the exhaust fumes smelt... Like sort of plastic but mostly smells like shi* aha but there's no smoke? I've read the stock cats could actualy hide the problem? Someone have the same issue as me or am I just worrying bout nothing?
    Sorry for the long post thanks in advance

Did you allowed the car to idle for a while?....from what i read the smoke disappear when you on the move but once you are stationary a period of time then smoke present itself.

If smells like burning plastic then Im afraid it will be the damned turbo

I let it idle for about 2
    minutes tomorrow I'll take it for another drive and let it idle for like 10 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Matto View Post
    Hey guys I just Drove my car to the gym and back on the way back had a bit of a funtime in it lol, well when I got home the exhaust fumes smelt... Like sort of plastic but mostly smells like shi* aha but there's no smoke? I've read the stock cats could actualy hide the problem? Someone have the same issue as me or am I just worrying bout nothing?
    Sorry for the long post thanks in advance
    As long as there is no smoke - NO SMOKE-NO PROBLEM
    The smell is probably "Rotten egg gas" can't remember the chemical name. It is caused by over fuelling in the cat - which is simply caused by the engine cleaning out after a bit of a thrash (quick drive)

Sulpher Dioxide gas
    Last edited by rd415; 25-03-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Chemical name

Yes yes smelt more like rotten egg but a hint of plastic in there I think I'm nt sure I was tryin to rly smell it and gave up after yacking hahah

Excuse the bump, coming across the same problem after installing a BNR replacement turbo (S1). Is there a fix?

- cp-e dp
    - bnr S1
    - cs TIP

Doesn't matter if it's a spirited run or a city crawl - still reeks. Am I alone?!

Cattless? They stink

Catted!

The only thing I can think of is if there is a bit of burn off from some Threebond I placed around the turbo oil return pipe. Pipe to engine connection had a hairline split we couldn't see by eye but the liquid gasket worked. This was at least 3 months ago though and now it's progressively worse and noticeable after every drive - it used to be a sporadic thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    Cattless? They stink
    Better than the eggy smell!

...but more harmful.

I too am starting to have this issue on my 6MPS. Albeit it seems to have sprung up in the last couple of months (being winter). Have tried differnet fuels - Ultimate, Vortex and now VPower all seem to give the same smelly result regardless if I'm driving hard or like miss daisy.

Could the cooler weather be making this (normal?) smell more evident or is this a sign of a bigger concern ie. cat going bad etc?

Probably something burning off.. cooler weather will probably cause it to overfuel a little more, hence the smell.

12. Default

I recently have this happened. Smells of sulphur/rotten egg after some spirit acceleration.

I haven't switched to other fuels from the ones I usually use but I did switch my engine oil to Penrite 10-40 Everyday Plus semi-synth which has higher sulphur content than the other oils.

So I guess is it could be this oil that is burning somewhere in the system possibly from the turbo seal leak. Wish I had an oil catch can to eliminate it from oil vapour...

Sulphur/rotten egg smell indicates the cat is shagged.

14. Default

Thanks bd. Would a bad cat smell rotten all the time instead of only when being flogged?