User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noisey valves at startup - MPS 6, MPS 3 Gen I, CX7 2.3T

Default Noisey valves at startup - MPS 6, MPS 3 Gen I, CX7 2.3T

I took my 6MPS to get a check over it before I take in it for it's last service before the warranty runs out.

The mechanic noted the diesel like rattle at startup.

I always thought it was normal for this as the oil makes it's way to the top of the engine.

Do all MPS motors have a valve rattle at startup for the first 1-2 seconds before it goes quite? If it's normal then thats fine, but if it isn't then perhaps I need to look at the oil I am using or have the valves looked at.

I use Castrol Edge 5w-30 if that helps.
    Last edited by Penguin740; 25-03-2010 at 09:05 PM.
    Red '05 6MPS.

Hi Penguin, I have a 3MPS and it does the same thing. Not sure what that noise is though, but mine has done that since i bought it...

Hey mate, if still under warranty, get it to your Mazda dealer and mention you have noisy valves on startup, they will have to determine the fault with a cold start, if so then the VVT actuator needs replacing. There is a TSB for this, and it effected all pre April 2007 DISI engines.

FYI mine is an Oct 06 build and the problem was not apparent till around 50,000kms Mazda fixed this under warranty for me.
    Last edited by shakespeare; 04-04-2010 at 12:42 AM.

Mine too has noisey tappets on a cold start. I thought this was normal for the DSI

Here is the TSB Information for the VVT on 2.3 L DISI Engines, edited title to reflect nature of thread too!

Pages 2 and 3 attached as a PDF
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by shakespeare; 10-01-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks for the replys guys. Just in time too as it goes into Mazda on Tuesday.

I was getting a little concerned as nobody had replied.

I'll get Mazda to check it out.

The TSB refers to a "loud ticking noise". What I have is kind of chain type rumble which lasts for 1 to 2 secs after the car is restarted after a longish rest. It doesn't happen if I do a quick restart. I would call a "loud ticking noise" something similar to a noisy tappett which is quite high pitched. The noise I have is a medium pitched rumble.

I took the car to Mazda and they are going to cover it under warranty. Definitely worth getting checked out. Thanks for the info Shakespear.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin740 View Post
    I took the car to Mazda and they are going to cover it under warranty. Definitely worth getting checked out. Thanks for the info Shakespear.
    No probs, happy to help

Quote Originally Posted by foxy View Post
    The TSB refers to a "loud ticking noise". What I have is kind of chain type rumble which lasts for 1 to 2 secs after the car is restarted after a longish rest. It doesn't happen if I do a quick restart. I would call a "loud ticking noise" something similar to a noisy tappett which is quite high pitched. The noise I have is a medium pitched rumble.
    My noise was more of a rumble? maybe diesel like clatter for the first 1-2 seconds. Mazda needed a cold start to confirm it was the VVT, and it was and they fixed it for me. I'd take it in foxy and ask them to check it.
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    No probs, happy to help

My noise was more of a rumble? maybe diesel like clatter for the first 1-2 seconds. Mazda needed a cold start to confirm it was the VVT, and it was and they fixed it for me. I'd take it in foxy and ask them to check it.
    Have you noticed any difference apart from no start up noise?
    Will they fix it free if my car is out of new car waranty?
    Do you know what damage I will do if I leave it?
    Is the "fix" the one in the TSB?

Replies in Blue

Quote Originally Posted by foxy View Post
    Have you noticed any difference apart from no start up noise? Difficult to say, however at higher rpm, it feels like she's pulling a little stronger
    Will they fix it free if my car is out of new car waranty? If not too far out of warranty then they should fix it as it's a recognised fault. Advise them of the TSB number when you take it in.
    Do you know what damage I will do if I leave it? No idea anyone else know what damage leaving it alone may cause, maybe the actuator pin breaks therefore causing damage further in???
    Is the "fix" the one in the TSB? Yes

Thanks, you have been very helpful. This problem is not seen as an issue in the UK. I think that that is about to change.

dual mass flywheels combines with noisy clutch bearings are where my noise comes from...

push your clutch in.. does the noise go away... if so.. its normal..

Good luck

Doc

14. Default

My 07 MPS also had this noise on startup (either cold or warm startup). I heard Talldan's with the same noise not long ago as well... Seems theres a lot of MPS's out there with this issue. This has nothing to do with the throw out bearing, I always had my foot on the clutch on startup.

.. with my clutch pushed in (I never usually start the car the way btw) i dont hear anything overly stupid...
    But ill check it again

So, I heard this noise today, definately in the top of the motor, nearer to the cam gears. It really does sound like a diesel. It's like a dry/oil starvation sound.

17. Default

I'm convinced my old MPS had the same noise. I thought the timing chain was loose at one stage as it resonates from the left of the motor...

I will be interested to see if it does go away after Mazda does some work on the VVT (no word on the parts arriving from Melbourne yet....waiting....)

Doc, putting my foot on the clutch makes no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    So, I heard this noise today, definately in the top of the motor, nearer to the cam gears. It really does sound like a diesel. It's like a dry/oil starvation sound.
    Yeah it was a very unusual noise, like a modern turbo diesel start up rattle.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    Yeah it was a very unusual noise, like a modern turbo diesel start up rattle.
    Yeah that's what mine sounded like, it would disappear after a couple of seconds following starting. Now it's fixed no more noise!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast