User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noisey valves at startup - MPS 6, MPS 3 Gen I, CX7 2.3T

Just got this noise recently, car is at 60,000km now...

I really shit my pants when I heard it for the first time because it's f*cking loud.

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Hey Alan,

I would try and push for warranty on this as it is a known problem and a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was issued for this fault (see link below - post #5 has the TSB info)

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...-cx7-2-3t.html

Also I had mine fixed at Wood Bros under warranty (1 week prior to expiring) so they have done the work and should know the price as dealers have to claim back warranty work through Mazda Aust. Service Manager is John Kenton ask for him directly, be polite but confident in your request when you talk to him.

Cheers
    Chris

EDIT: Moved this to the VVT thread

Edit again: been 6 months and 10,000kms no more noise
    What do you mean by pushing for warranty? Is that like, asking for it to get fixed for free of charge because it's a known issue?

Jason Mazda quoted me $1000 to get this fixed.

As per manufacturer's warranty, yes.

Well known issues such as the VVT or the turbo are viable issues that can be brought up as a warranty claim, even out of the warranty by a week or two.

Obviously if you're well out of warranty then you have no chance and you'd have to suck it up. I have a 3rd party warranty covered with Harrier that is similar but only covers a certain amount of $$ towards a claim.

Paid $969, hope it was worth it

Noise came back...

Quote Originally Posted by High on PSI View Post
    Noise came back...
    Quote Originally Posted by High on PSI View Post
    Paid $969, hope it was worth it
    Obviously not take it back mate and ask them to fix it again!
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Taking it tomorrow, it's come back but it's not as loud as it was before I got it fixed

Mines at Melville Mazda now, costing $1210 to repair. I hope its gone big $ for a known fault from a factory level. i came across this recall from the states Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VVT%20TSB.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	11326

Only issued Jan this year. Im going to get it fixed then send this to Mazda head office with my bill and ask for my money back Pfffffttttttt or ACCC sounds good too.

improper timing of the car also can cause this also and the way that mazda specifies in the workshop manual is actually wrong as they don't say to loosen off the vvt actuator only the exhaust cam bolt when you actually have to loosen off both if you don't you will notice as you spin the crank by hand the chain will actually slack off then become tight over and over as you spin this causes valve noise at start up because the vvt needs oil pressure to work once the engine is started and oil is at pressure the vvt starts to work and take's the chain slack and the noise disappears all Crank and cam bolts and thrust washers should be replaced as soon as un-tightened as they are torque to yield bolt's and the washers are single use and both items are throw away units (you can get away without new ones but its not recommended)
    also on another note if it starts to develop a nasty knock (generally about the 80,000 - 100,000k mark) when its hot it means that you need a new timing chain
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Thanks for the Info. Only started with (diesel noise) a few months ago and gradually got louder and doing the research it came down to the VVT. Not noisy when warm at all, so i ithkn timing chain should be ok. I got rather indepth with Mazda regarding this issue and they admittied they deal with the VVT problem alot on our type of motor. I wont pick it up till i fly home next week. So i am hoping all the nagging lol i have done pays off. I jus5t dont think its fair that in North America its a factory recall and in Australia its not. So i do intend to take this as far as possible. My service log is perfect and i have always followed correct service and tuning requirements.

Heres hoping i get my way lol

Cheers...........................

12. Default Curious

Let me know how you guys go...
    I've had the noise for quite a while now, and am well outside of my warranty.
    I don't think it is fair that the US get a recall and we get nothing.
    If this is a Mazda fault I would like it fixed! Especially as it is a known fault

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaboy View Post
    Let me know how you guys go...
    I've had the noise for quite a while now, and am well outside of my warranty.
    I don't think it is fair that the US get a recall and we get nothing.
    If this is a Mazda fault I would like it fixed! Especially as it is a known fault
    Agreed. I don't claim to understand Mazda's corp structure when it comes down to such things, but it stands to reason that what is essentially a design fault in NA is also a design fault in AU... On the broad assumption that all 3 BK MPS and 6 GG MPS engines are manufactured to the same hardware spec worldwide, a recall-worthy fault discovered in one corner of the globe should be just as applicable in another.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    Agreed. I don't claim to understand Mazda's corp structure when it comes down to such things, but it stands to reason that what is essentially a design fault in NA is also a design fault in AU... On the broad assumption that all 3 BK MPS and 6 GG MPS engines are manufactured to the same hardware spec worldwide, a recall-worthy fault discovered in one corner of the globe should be just as applicable in another.
    You boys aren't alone. Nissan have done the same thing with the GT-R's in the US vs AUS. The US get a 5 year unlimited kms drivetrain warranty where we only get 3yrs limited to 100,000kms. They've also had recalls on a few things such as the dash cluster (led lights failing), TSB's on the transmission and bell housing which when changed out get an extra 3 years wty on top of the standard. The US boys also get an optional 3 year drivetrain warranty for USD$800 which also covers the $20k transmission, where as there is NO warranty extension even offered in AUS.... The thing I worry about is if any of the usual transmission faults occur outside of warranty (eg. solenoids, gaskets, circlips, shift fork, etc failures) I'll be left forking out $23k inc labour for a new transmission (because Nissan do not repair them) - even though the faults are well known and have been TSB'd in the US...

15. Default

Just incase someone is still looking for an answer on the not so loud ticking noise on cold start up. It's very common for hydraulic lifters to take a second to build up oil pressure and reach their full height. Without pressure they are shorter in length resulting in a ticking noise that sounds like a loose tappet. Generally gets worse as the Kms clock up. Not harmful to your motor in any significant way as they operate normally as soon as the pressure is up and ticking stops but still an annoying noise for the perfectionist who loves his car.

16. Default

Hmmm just read this whole thread.. My car (of all of 36 hours) def has slight rattle on cold start. Not there warm. 07 mps 52xxx. I remember at least one other car i test drove rattled a bit on cold start so i didnt worry about it too much but i think its worth looking into... Im not paying 1g to replace actuator to find out it is actually just a damn lifter tho

Quote Originally Posted by rocker21 View Post
    Hmmm just read this whole thread.. My car (of all of 36 hours) def has slight rattle on cold start. Not there warm. 07 mps 52xxx. I remember at least one other car i test drove rattled a bit on cold start so i didnt worry about it too much but i think its worth looking into... Im not paying 1g to replace actuator to find out it is actually just a damn lifter tho
    Repairing the VVT actuator issue will 100% resolve any lifter issue on your MZR.
    Last edited by Rayd; 21-01-2014 at 08:52 AM.

When you find the lifters let me know.

19. Default

Mine does the same... 2007 model mp3. if its 8 years old now and never been fixed will they still cover it because its there f up

20. Default

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Has anyone had this issue repaired recently? I have recently bought a 06 MPS and at just under 150,000 the VVT noise is quite significant at startup. Has anyone had catastrophic engine failure from this issue going un-repaired? If it's just noisy when it's starts and won't affect the engine I don't particularly mind.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast