User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noisey valves at startup - MPS 6, MPS 3 Gen I, CX7 2.3T

Thanks for the info, mate. Will be taking the matter up with Mazda UK.

Panic over. Normal noisy top end of MPS, particularly injectors. Would still advise members with noisy start up to have it checked out before warranty runs out. If there is a problem the remedies can be very expensive.

VVt fixed under warranty by Centenary.

Thanks for the help guys.

Picked up our 6 from Mazda today havent seen it for a week
    VVT fixed and an engine mount also on the last day of warranty
    still is a little noisey i thought it would of all gone away

So mine has started to do this now, it seems like a common issue:

Tech service bulletin: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...-bulletin.html

Mazdaspeedforums: Rattle on Start - Mazdaspeed Forums

For those that dont have a msf login, this is the video from that thread:

My car has 58XXXkm on it and is now six months out of warranty, should be interesting to what they do.
    Has anybody had to fix this out of warranty and had to pay for it?
    Last edited by VGP; 26-06-2010 at 04:53 PM.
    ^^^The message is up there stupid^^^

my car has started to do this too...

7. Default

Not good.... The older these 2.3ltr DISI engines get, the more I feel Mazda have some pretty fundamental reliability issues to deal with down the line.

I'm not sure what the Japanese do, but Australians tend to hold on to cars for between 3-5 years (mostly dependant on what period of time their loan/lease runs for...)

Warranty or not, Mazda have a legal responsibilty to repair (at their own expense), any bulletin / recall issues that might arise, for the life of the vehicle - so do not take NO for an answer!

I had a talk t the head mech at mazda here in town. said he will ring mazda and see if they will do this under warranty, since my car is 6 months out

If this problem was to arise with a car which has mods i.e SRI,TMIC,TBE do you think that they would still repair it?

Yes. Mine had TBE, SRI, lowered springs. Mazda was fine with it as the mods were not related to the vavles. It does sometimes depend on the service manager but shouldn't in this case due to the technical service bulletin about this fault.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    If this problem was to arise with a car which has mods i.e SRI,TMIC,TBE do you think that they would still repair it?
    Yes. Its a known fault, just like the turbo....

12. Default

I just came across this sticky. I have a new GenII MPS 3 with 4000ks on it. Mine has been doing this since new and I thought it must be normal ????

Have people had this succesfully fixed by mazda, warranty or otherwise (post April 2007 build)? Mine sounds exactly like the you tube video ^^^ on cold starts...
    Last edited by 3MPS; 07-08-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Mazda said they will fix mine because my history of both my cars . I JUST NEED TO GET MY ECU BACK so i can drive it in and get it fixed!!! Does anyone know if mazda have to flash the ECU after the install?

Default VVT Actuator Repair in Perth

Hi Guys

I brought a 06 mazda 6 MPS, everything was fine for the first three weeks of owning the car until last week when I started up my car it sounded like a diesel engine starting up. Did some searching around on the forum and it sounds like i have a VVT Issue. So called up Meliville Mazda and got them to look at my car and they confirm it is a VVT issue and the car is 5 months out of warranty!

So i called some mazda dealers to get a quote
    Meliville Mazda was asking for $2000 to fix the issue!
    WoodBro Mazda doesn't have a price cause they never done it before.
    Jason Mazda - $1500

Also the guy at Meliville says when they fixed it they had a number of known cases where the VVT fails again.

Now just wanting to know if any of you guys in Perth had fixed they VVT issues at which dealer and did the noise come back?
    Also how much you paid for it to get fixed?

Thanks
    Alan

Hey Alan,

I would try and push for warranty on this as it is a known problem and a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was issued for this fault (see link below - post #5 has the TSB info)

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...-cx7-2-3t.html

Also I had mine fixed at Wood Bros under warranty (1 week prior to expiring) so they have done the work and should know the price as dealers have to claim back warranty work through Mazda Aust. Service Manager is John Kenton ask for him directly, be polite but confident in your request when you talk to him.

Cheers
    Chris

EDIT: Moved this to the VVT thread

Edit again: been 6 months and 10,000kms no more noise
    Last edited by shakespeare; 26-08-2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Added info
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Angry Knockback BY MAZDA

Hey Guys

Thanks for your help shakespeare
    I've took my car to woodbros mazda and it is confirm by them as well it is a VVT issue. Woodbros was kind enough to try to ask if we can get the car repair under warranty with mazda as a "Good Will" gesture. Unfortunately i got knock back again!

So since shakespeare taken the car to woodbros i decided to get a quote. Woodbros is going to do it for $1500 and i'm book in next week for it to get it replace. *fingers cross* the noise will never come back!!

Thanks guys for all your help!
    Going to donate to forum as a token of my appreciation

17. Default

yes i have this noise, assumed it was normal

I've had the VVT actuator replaced still had the "death rattle" on start-up so after leaving my car with Mazda for a week it was determined that the timing chain tensioner was faulty causing timing chain to loosen overnight/ whilst parked up for a few hours this results in a diesel sounding rattle for about half a second.

Mazda claims this was the first time it has happened to them with a 2.3 DISI engine here in Western Australia which I find very hard to believe as these engines are used across a few different mazda models so surely a timing chain rattle has occurred at some stage over the past 4 or 5 years since these engines have been in use.

They did say in 99% of cases once they replace the VVT actuator the rattles go away but I've lucked out and ended up having to replace the actuator, timing chain and tensioner arm.

Just keep this in mind if you guys have to go through this process as I got seriously dicked around by Mazda so tell them straight up to check the Actuator, timing chain and tensioner at the start for any potential issues as they just play dumb and expect their customers to pick up the tab for their "lack of experience" and the time they waste trying to work out what would appear to be a basic fault.

19. Default

Yes this is another job i am about to tackle on my 6MPS, Will do the chain and slides while i'm in there. Anyone know the best place to the parts for this job?

just found this thread as i mentioned to that my car was making a rattling noise on startup to the service department at melville mazda last friday.
    the said it was the VVTI which would require stripping to assess further...$1800

and that my RHS engine mount has collasped.

im hoping my 3 year extended (3rd party) which the service person spoke to the company on friday afternoon. car is booked in next week. so fingers crossed for me.

and yeah the noise is exactly the same as the one on that youtube vid. other than that car seems fine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast