User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want more power

Angry I want more power

I Just got my mps 6. So far its got injen intake with pod. Goes well.i need more power

Get an MPS3

@ Al.

Have a look through some of the other posts over here -> MPS Modification Discussion

Good place to start would be a new intercooler and exhaust (or just dump pipe) and a tune!

AND!!

Welcome!

I can recommend doing the exhaust to a 6MPS. I have a turbo back exhaust and the power drop off that hits like a brick wall at 5500rpm is nearly gone.

I understand (and it's my next mod) that a flashtune (Chiptorque or similar) of the computer is another great way to easy power.

I personally don't like the front mount intercooler due to an increase in turbo lag which goes against the best feature of an MPS - virtually no turbo lag.

Hope thats a good start. Let us know what results you get.

Welcome.
    Red '05 6MPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin740 View Post
    I can recommend doing the exhaust to a 6MPS. I have a turbo back exhaust and the power drop off that hits like a brick wall at 5500rpm is nearly gone.

I understand (and it's my next mod) that a flashtune (Chiptorque or similar) of the computer is another great way to easy power.

I personally don't like the front mount intercooler due to an increase in turbo lag which goes against the best feature of an MPS - virtually no turbo lag.

Welcome.
    hi i also have a vl turbo with over 220rwkw i know heaps about vls but not much with the mps i just got 3 weeks ago. but yeah the ecu is on da card with exhaust turbo back . oh my mps has a turbo x blow off valve sounds ok but i want my turbo to flutter

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

Welcome.
    hi if i just get a turbo back exhaust do i have to get a tune

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Get an MPS3
    hi whats the max boost these engines can handle instock form bottom end

Up the boost and get a bigger zorst system !

Default Re: I want more power

The stock turbo isn't too useful over 18psi. The rods would be more likely than anything to let go.

Short answer...get a 600cc super sports bike!! My last bike (on a good lauch) could get you to 100kmph in around 3 seconds
    Other than that what those fellas said ^ ...cars are safer

18psi for the turbo, as already commented.

There is no proof that the engines "pop" at a certain boost level. I've run mine @ 22 psi (not std turbo) and still fine.

Basic mods are the go, intake, exhaust and finally a tune.

You don't need a tune, only for more power, unless you have an un-approved mod, i.e. oversize MAF housing etc.

Keep in mind the price of the upgrades.

The flash tune will set you back about $1250 and net about 20kw, and you can have the tuner adjust the boost inside the computer.

A turbo back exhaust will set you back anywhere from $2000-3500 and net 20kw. Put them together and you will get about 40kw extra.

Bang for buck a computer is cheaper, but doesn't come with the cool noise.
    Last edited by Penguin740; 25-03-2010 at 09:15 PM.

I would go zorst over computer any day

Has anyone considered just upgrading the turbo as their first mod. Will be less than you estimate of an exhaust and will deffinately give a lot more power.

13. Default

when you test drove it did you feel it needed more power ?

A turbo back exhaust will set you back anywhere from $2000-3500 and net 20kw. Put them together and you will get about 40kw extra.

Bang for buck a computer is cheaper, but doesn't come with the cool noise.
    Doesn't work that way in the real world - you won't get a net gain of 40kw. The old story, if you did all the mods that give you a small gain and add them up WOW!!!! - doesn't happen.

Thanks to Mpsix for starting this thread!

I bought a 2005 Black 6 MPS yesterday. (OH YAH! ) There are heaps of newbie questions I have regarding the car and how it works.

The first MPS I saw have a nice deep purr when on idle. It has 90,000km on the clock. The MPS I bought yesterday has 65,000km and is almost silent. It doesn't sounds like a turbo car. Why is that so? Both cars are stock. Is it because it has lower Ks on it?
    I like a bit of purr from the engine. I don't like loud exhaust as they attract too much attention on the road.

And does the car have a BOV?

1) That's how stock sedans targeting the over 30 non sti/evo market are meant to sound.
    2) It does have a BPV, which for all intents and purposes is the same as a BOV.
    3) The MPS you saw was probably modded or had a hole in the exhaust somewhere.
    4) If you want a fluttering sound, then you will want the HKS SSQV.

Also when people say this or that will add XX kw, people should also say where it adds it. Having an extra 20 kw from 3000-4000 rpm vs 20 kw at 5500-6500 rpm is totally different in terms of feel and driveability. Please don't use ricer maths.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Congrats on buying the car - MPS's are sleeper cars - they don't look all that different to their standard brothers and therefore don't get the unwanted attention.

The mps6 is a luxury car, highly underated but certainly adequate in the power area. Enough performance for the street.

After owning for four years I have fitted a corksport exhaust fitted - drones under load, but the car now has a sound - Standard I couldn't hear the engine, so smooth I didn't know it was running, I certainly can hear it now, but not loud enough to attract attention.

welcome to the forum good luck with the mods

Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Has anyone considered just upgrading the turbo as their first mod. Will be less than you estimate of an exhaust and will deffinately give a lot more power.
    No point in upgrading the huffer (turbo) cause your stock 2.5" zorst isnt the best flow out . .
    "THE PATH OF THE GTI-R IS BESET WITH PERIL BY THE INJUSTICES OF THE SPEED CAMERA AND THE TYRANNY OF OTHER DRIVERS. BLESSED IS HE WHO OVERTAKES THE EVO & STI THROUGH THE VALLEY OF HAIRPIN TURNS, FOR HE IS TRULY HIS CAR'S TUNER AND THE FINDER OF LOST HORSEPOWER. . . AND WE SHALT STRIKE DOWN WITH GREAT BOOST AND FURIOUS ACCELERATION ON WHOEVER DOTH ATTEMPT TO OBSTRUCT OR DELAY OUR OVERTAKING. . .
    BMW M3 Evo Coming to the R stable soon. . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast