User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: turbo upgrade suggestions

Default turbo upgrade suggestions

HI all. looking a turbo as i think mine might be starting to go. i was looking a hybred not looking at huge power gains. would be happy with 30-40kw or more on standard boost. At this stage no tune, i have few bolt ons tho. would i run into problems? what should i look for? looking at a T3/T4 k04...suggestions

cheapest option and probably the one that makes sense for you is to rebuild and hi flow your standard turbo. IF you get something larger you are going to have to spend big $$ on new rods, pistons, perhaps sleeves..........im not too sure about whether the standard mps box is up to the strain of ridiculous torque either either.

Give Allstar tuning a call. They do the Mazda racecars for Grand Prix Mazda.

They can upgrade the std turbo with bigger internals and ball-bearings.

Allstar Tuning Systems

I have a 28/76r and haven't needed much, just manifold, DP, inlet and, OH!, a tune. The g/box can handle it, but, can you afford a new motor if it blows?

Stick to the std turbo. Best value for money option.

I second 2XS Luke, give them a call the gains are where you want to be with the upgrade for around the $2000 price point don't quote me on the exact figure....

I would like a gt2860rs disco potato but Im sure the exhaust housing is different and not sure mods to make it suit original type mountings

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    I would like a gt2860rs disco potato but Im sure the exhaust housing is different and not sure mods to make it suit original type mountings
    The MPS has a unique exhaust housing inlet and outlet. It doesn't match anything else.

3 options:

1: Upgrade the std turbo (Hi-flow) to retain any mods (DP etc)

2: Upgrade the turbo (30/71 etc) via the USA (exhaust housing to suit)

3: Any other upgrade will require new exhaust manifold, DP and inlet.

Option number 1 is probably the best way to go, number 2 may require further mods to keep the car running correctly. I have heard the wastegate hole is too small to be used properly.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    The MPS has a unique exhaust housing inlet and outlet. It doesn't match anything else.

3 options:

1: Upgrade the std turbo (Hi-flow) to retain any mods (DP etc)

2: Upgrade the turbo (30/71 etc) via the USA (exhaust housing to suit)

3: Any other upgrade will require new exhaust manifold, DP and inlet.

Option number 1 is probably the best way to go, number 2 may require further mods to keep the car running correctly. I have heard the wastegate hole is too small to be used properly.
    This has been corrected by ATP and they are now porting the heck out of the IWG.. which on all accounts seems to be working.. no boost creep reported on the new turbos

Doc

Thanks guys for all your input. anyone know of a good local business around newcastle (or close too) who will high flow the standard turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    Thanks guys for all your input. anyone know of a good local business around newcastle (or close too) who will high flow the standard turbo?
    You could try....
    PBE Dynotech
    or
    Blacktrack Performance Dyno Centre

they may be able to help with the turbo, or recommend someone that will.

Just wondering about the seals , there is a lot of discussion about upgrade or moding k04,
    Mazda3Online :: ProtegeGarage :: MazdaRX8Online - Your Source for Mazda Performance
    which is the best option. what i am really asking is what choice elliminates the original defect.

bnrsupercars.com

either stage one or stage 2.. they are not cheap. But they come with 12 months warranty, are balanced. If I were to replace my turbo.. and didnt want to go stupid. This would be my choice.

Doc

THanks doc
    The one thing i would like to see with these turbo's is some real time data (bnrsupercars.com)
    Have searched through google but keeps coming up bnrsupercars no other links
    I don't want to go stupid K04 spools up quick@that's what makes these cars.
    Like the turbo 2XS is running or GT 2871 which spool up quicker and still got rpms to whin'd up with,
    But like mentioned before you need to replace parts to work properly so the full turbo kit upgrade in GT2871 $2500 US and the GT 30- is like 2800$ and you carn't just get away without all the parts.
    That's before shipping cost.
    Wondering Doc if you got links to comparative data for the Bnr turbo's. They really seem to be the best choice.
    Before i go to chip torque and get a flash.
    Also thanks for the links for the FMIC - diy.
    Well there got the goods when it comes to mazda's http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...hp?t=123743738
    Last edited by IN4M3; 07-04-2010 at 03:43 AM.

Mazdaspeed 3/6 K04 Hybrid turbocharger 330WHP!!! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 / Mazda Atenza Forum

there is some light reading for you.. enjoy mate...

Stage two (or 3 when it comes out) looks the goodies

thanks to all who have given great replies to my post. It has been very helpful plz keep it comin! .. im sure everyone here is getting something for this thread!.. cheers too all

welcome..

Unless your building this thing.. keep with the "stock'ish" turbo..

GT30** and GT35** are going to drastically increase the chances of your rods getting lonely in there, and popping out to say 'hi'..

farout im keen to do this sheyit to my ve hicle when i finish paying it off in a few months. will have about 2k a month extra that i can spend on it instead of paying off a car loan. woohoo.
    love life

maybe put some of that 2k away for a house my friend...

when I was 21.. I was given some good advice.. just thought id share it

but the other sde of me says.. yeah.. stage 3 brn

damn mod bug

I am still waiting for a response from BNR.
    I've been a member of the mazda6club for some time as well and posted on the forum over there.
    used a few of there links for OZmazdaclub HOW TO's
    Ok , i am a bit impatient and want to get my bit's and pieces whlie the going is good.
    I even sugested to bryan that there could be a GB from this forum , posted links to forum.
    i get the impression that if there was the possibility for a GB that members would be interested.
    Srry luke for high jacking thread but it is all about me..... heh
    I think the 3 crew and 6er's would show some real interest
    Wanted BNR stage II/III

.. I suggest you try calling him

Good luck

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast