User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Painting Rims

Kepp us posted as to how you go!
    Will be interested to hear either way

oh and got to decide if i do it with tire on... lol taking it off will be better but tricky as a trip to tire shop will be needed ? and something to sit it on while i paint .. eeek

with tire on u wont get a very good finish at edges i feel....

looks like i will be running the space saver for a while.. haha

Buy a crap rim from the wreckers to try it on. Cost you like $10. Try it on this first to get your confidence.

Painting with the tyre on isn't that different to not having them on, they're only wheels. Just mask up the tyre face well, down into the bead. Make sure you haven't used tyre shine for a while. Leaving the tyre on will allow you to do the whole lot at home and save you the cost of remove and refit of the tyre.

Wet sanding will keep your sandpaper clean from grit and paint. Check my rims in the "Rims : What have you done" section. I painted the rims with the tyres on.

Shadow chrome is different to black. More like a transparent silver over black.

Are you using Enamel, Acrylic or 2k paint.

Enamel: Cheap, strong but can be very messy. Straight from the spray can is easiest.

Acrylic: Better, usually requires a top/clear coat to finish. Generally sprayed from a gun, Requires air compressor etc. Mix colour and thinner.

2k (or 2 pack): Best, strongest, but requires mixing of colour, thinner and hardner. Most durable of finishes. Also most colours require a top/clear coat.

Most factory rims are powder coated then sprayed these days. My RX8 rims were a pain in the arse to remove the powdercoat then try to polish. The centre caps are removable.

Edit: I'm working backwards, read here then the wheels section. lol PaulG.
    Last edited by 2XS; 02-04-2009 at 07:21 PM.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Have a go yourself. I did mine a while ago and has held up surprisingly well. It did take me a while i must admit, but I’m glad I’m had a go at it.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/how-t...ting-rims.html

You have to take the tyre off tho, it’s a pain in the arse, but you’ll never get a good finish on the lip otherwise.

Have fun a let us know how you go.

noice.. looks pro... think i will do it... missues on shift work... if i time right can do while away.... do two a day...

but i don't see any evidence of beer ...... lies i tell you !!

decided going to do it !!.... will get supplies next week and see how we do... this pic sold it to me !!

^^ that looks HAAAAWT!

8. Default

That is SO what I had in mind when thinking about "stealth" modding my car...

Black out badges, remove trim, black rims... then decide if I want to pinstripe the car with matching red to the seats... maybe stick some red neons/LEDs under the car.. oh the dreams....

Best of luck with the rim spraying. I think I'd buy a 2nd set of MPS rims to paint though, keep my MPS Sports rims standard.

maybe stick some red neons/LEDs under the car
    oh dear....

try ozhonda forums.....

lol....

damn ricers...

i kid i kid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12