User Tag List

Thread: CPE CAI or Corksport SRI with turbo inlet pipe.

Default CPE CAI or Corksport SRI with turbo inlet pipe.

I want so badly to get this mod done on my 5 week old MPS but just cant decide between these 2!

Been almost a complete ignorant on the area is not helping either, pretty much relying on what I have read on each product but I would take a lot more serious what you guys got to say.

Seriously CANT WAIT any longer to get this mod done so pls! help me!

Corksport SRI-With turbo inlet pipe

CPE-CAI

Hi.
    I run a SRI no prob's, please read if you have not already CAI: SRI or not ? thread this may help you as well.

CPE is better designed, CorkSport has a turbo inlet pipe.

Over all much of a muchness, but how can you go past the CorkSport SRI for the $ esp when it comes with a turbo inlet pipe!

Been reading quite a few pros and cons for each product and so far it looks like Im going with the SRI+inlet pipe

There's a lot of misinformation out there but I think you made the right choice. I use a WRX SRI on my MPS with no problems except that it was over priced at $80.

Hi KmhOO1.
    I run a WRX SRI and can't say I have had any problems, my only concern is that I have been informed that the inside Dia is very important for Maf to work correctly.
    As far as over priced you did well I am too embarrass to say what I paid.
    I got mine from AVO Melbourne they are not cheap, they must of been laughing all the way too the bank. (It's only money can't take it with me).

Hi Jim. I hope I didn’t come across as a scrooge; I was just making the point that a lot of car parts are outrageously over priced and their performance benefits misrepresented.

Think about what you get with an SRI kit; a $30 air filter, a plastic or alloy adapter and a metal bracket. About $40 worth of stuff. You could buy those two parts separately and fab your own bracket and have an SRI for about $50 that works exactly like a $400 one. It irks me that some guys are being fleeced.

I think the most important point in the intake discussion is that early modifiers found there is no power to be made with these intakes on an MPS, we do it simply for the sound. An intake may also make a slight difference to throttle response, but that wont be measurable as increased power.

The results obtained on other cars with modified intakes are not transferable to the MPS and any manufacturer who puts up a dyno sheet claiming extra horsepower from an SRI/CAI on an MPS is talking out their arse in my opinion.

I’ve seen published statements that the stock airbox is very restrictive. But have the companies making these statement actually put a stock airbox on a flow bench and shown us the evidence that the stock airbox is restrictive and their product flows better? No. Instead they give us chassis dyno plots; ie utter meaningless crap that is evidence of nothing. Like I said, they’re talking out their arse and unfortunately a lot of young guys take this marketing hype on face value.

There’s also the problem of guys who perpetuate these myths because they have paid big money for an intake and they need to exaggerate the performance benefit so they can avoid admitting to themselves they didn’t get what they were expecting.

Nick gave a perfect example of the reality about intakes yesterday when he mentioned that his dads car with a stock airbox goes just as hard as his car with an intake.

So the question is, why pay $400 for an intake sound you can get for $50?
    Last edited by kmh001; 06-01-2009 at 12:16 PM.

8. Default

Generally the cheap parts are a copy of another.
    The parts that are more prizey, you are paying for the R&D on that product.
    Then on the other hand there are some brands out there that have been around for a while & think that their products are supreme over others, that charge what ever they want. They know people will pay for that brand.

I always believe you get what you pay for.
    If you can pick form a $50 part, a $150 part or a $400 part. Well I go for the part that's been designed for the car, I know it works so I'll pay a little bit more.

Copied parts are generally poor in finish. Use poor materials. There's no R&D & they rob the manufacturer's that took the time to design it & test it for these car's

I have a CAI on my mps and I never thought it was going to increase the power! however it did make a differance to the way the car feels the turbo lag felt like it was less and the power felt smoother . . . so much that on first drive after install I thought I'd f*#Ked the air flow or something because the power was so smooth I thought I coulnd feel the turbo kickin however after having on for a while it just feels a little smoother then it was before, although after reading KMH001's comments i guess it could be placibo effect from the hole in my wallet! I have also seen live dyno test on utube showing a power increase for the 3's are you saying it's all staged Bull$H!t????
    2006 Radiant Ebony Mazda6 MPS GG Luxury | AEM CAI |Gmax Enigma 18"x7.5 Toyo Rubber ! Kings Super Lows /
    [CENTER]

10. Default

The dyno sheet's are there to slow the different form stock to the product in question.
    Its a guide to what to expect form the testing on that product.
    If you don't believe it test it your self.
    I've been testing different products for over a 2 years now. Its not cheap & generally the sheets are correct.
    Yes, there is a lot of varieties that's where common sense plays a part.

Going from the stock intake to the CPE SRI on my 3 MPS, it will now consistently light up the DSC light with full throttle in 2nd (and sometimes 3rd) on a smooth road, whereas with the stock intake, it would only do it sometimes, mainly of rougher roads. The boost definately comes on harder and faster then before. I find it hard to believe that it is not making more power now..

Very interesting coments, thanks guys!

Hi Kmhool.
    Not for one minute did I think you were a Scrooge my reason for going to AVO and being ripped off, was I did not know about mps garage, call me old fashioned but I don't like given my details out to the US, credit card etc.
    But now I know about mps garage all is sweet.
    As their stock get bigger thing can only get better, so lets support them people.

All good points Jim, and I plan on spending lots of money with them too.

I just like people to be properly informed, not only so they don’t waste money but also so that educated market forces push developers and suppliers in the right direction instead of the fashion and myth driven wild goose chases that have delayed the development of good performance gear for the MPS.

Awesome sig kmh001, best sig I have ever seen!

Shame its a 6 though

Thanks dude. Shame I missed the competition. I reckon I would have nailed it with all the 6 votes

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Thanks dude. Shame I missed the competition. I reckon I would have nailed it with all the 6 votes
    Yeh you would have and Ive been working hard on recruiting some more 6'ers
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face