User Tag List

Thread: How Big is yours?

1. Default How Big is yours?

So now I've picked up my 3MPS which is hands down the best car I've driven. I'm out wheel shopping, how big a rim can the Gen 2's take I've read up on widths and offsets but not much info on sizes. Ideally I want something black which will look smaller so needs to be 19/20 inch but I have'nt seen any cars with 20's. Also i was advised that the 19's would increase rolling diameter by 2-3% will this affect scrubbing much? or is it mainly offset.

Blog Entries

20s fit on the Gen 1s no problem, unless it was lowered and then you had to roll the guards.

I did know it was a bit of a ride sacrifice....19s seemed to work well.

19's will fit and im sure 20's would fit also.scrubbing has alot to do with wheel offset.i have a gen 1 mps 3 and run 19x8 with 235/35 tyres with no issues,but i wouldn't know what offset they are.the orginal 18's were actually a little bigger in diameter than my 19's,i think it's because i run a 35 profile instead of a 40 profile,if it was a 40 profile it would be the same or slightly bigger than my orginal 18's.

4. Default

From what I have read are Gen 2's are a slightly different case to Gen 1's? If that is the case mines a Gen 2 so those examples would be better.
    Last edited by FatCat; 23-03-2010 at 09:19 AM.

Blog Entries

Since they are still fairly new, take it to a wheel and tyre place...I'm sure they will happily test fit some big wheels on it and see how fitting goes.

6. Default

Yeah I have been at the tyre factory all morning, they said they would give me around 1k for wheels and tyres as long as they are under 500kms so I want to get this done ASAP. I am after something in a 19x8.5 and black, my options seem to be limited...

1k? for almost new wheels and tyres? shit. People on here would offer you more than that surely

Exactly tufmps.

I am thinking it might be a cheaper way to get the next set of tires. I have heard the new tires by them self could cost more than that.

I could be interested.
    Last edited by BlueMPS; 23-03-2010 at 09:21 PM.

9. Default

Well as soon as I find a wheel I like, I'll give ozmps first grabs at them. Has anyone run 20's yet?

Great to see you luv the MPS. Recently seen 20inch Vertini's on a Mazda 3 sedan. The wheels looked great but just did not suit the car although it may have been the style of wheel rather than their size. Possibly on the MPS the 20 inch wheels would look better. I'm also looking at new wheels as soon as tyres need replacing and been tossing around going with 19inch but yet to be convinced the trade off for a much firmer ride is the way to go.
    If you do get the 19 or 20 inch remember to post some pix.

rounded up to 9 inches.

talk to pretti. she has 20's on her gen 2

13. Default

Talked to the guy at TTF and although these looked sweet on it.
    http://www.spinnerwheels.com.au/c3898980.jpg
    The ride would suffer with such low profile.

At the moment im tossing up between these three.
    http://www.lightningmotorsport.co.nz...95591flint.jpg
    http://www.1010tires.com/images/whee...h_lg_super.jpg
    http://www.actiontyres.com.au/Produc...nig_swurve.jpg

These are tempting but too busy not to mention expensive.
    http://www.quantumautosport.com/qas/...nniversary.gif

You can probably see the trend I like.

Nice taste, they work for me.

15. Default

I like this one

I run RX8-GT rims on my Gen 2.

They are 19X8 rims with a +50 offset and 225/40 tyres.

While this ends up being a larger diameter than the stock setup, it almost perfectly corrects the standard speedo error all Mazda's have.

At standard ride height these rims and tyres still have plenty of guard clearance and dont scrub at all.

Lowering would be a different story especially on the front, since the tyre is almost perfectly in line with the guard.

Having said that, you could probably get away with a 235 width tyre without too much trouble.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

My Mazda 3 MPS 2010 Gen 2 is running 19 x 8 Konig Swurve rims (45 offset) with Continental 235/35ZR19XL Sport Tyres - No rubbing on the guards or struts, no scrubbing and the handling is fantastic and ride comfortable. The original wheel on the MPS is 18 x 7.5 (45).
    I purchased from Bob Jane, Haberfiled, Sydney. I can highly recommend BJ Haberfield. They will provide reliable advice are helpful in researching rims for you and will even get samples for you to look at on the car (no tyre). Don't be put off by lack of display wheels they can purchase from a wide range of manufacturers/importers.
    Beware of the wheel retailers with the massive displays and the fully sick lowered monsters in the driveway. From experience they will sell you as wheel to die for in appearance but without any consideration for proper fittment.

The wheel diameter is not the critical issue, 19 or 20 will fit providing the other criteria (width and offset) are correct. The total diameter of the wheel and tyre assembly should not change significantly regardless of the rim diameter providing the tyre wall height is selected to suit the rim diameter. The diameter however will impact on the range of wheels that you will have to select from and a 20" rim will need a very low wall tyre which will impact on ride comfort and potential for rim damage due to ruts in the road. From my research (4months) there is not a great range to choose from in 19x8 with the proper offset without going to 2 and 3 piece wheels which cost a bomb.

The width and offset are critical. Too wide a rim plus too lower offset will move the centre line of the tire too far out and you will have alignment problems, scrubbing and you will feel it through your steering at high speeds. There is a mximum legal increase for the distance between centreline of tyre (track) posted on the RTA Web site.
    I tried 19x 8.5 (42 offset) on my car (BJ got a sample of a 3 piece wheel that I had selected) and it was great on the back but was just out past the rim on the front. Thus the 19 x 8 (45) that I am running. There is a very slight change in overall wheel diameter but nothing to worry about. I think the speedo shows vehicel speed at 1 klm / hour faster than actual.

I am a new member (1 week) I will post some pics soon.

Good luck