User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Test drive CX7 ~ Disappointing

Default Test drive CX7 ~ Disappointing

Hi All,

My wife and I are looking for our next car to be on the scene around August.
    We need a car that can handle a potential future family, be enjoyable to drive long distances in, be able to tow my 5m boat, be capable of driving in snow/icy conditions and then sandy/soft condition once or twice a year, versatile, all round fun car to own...oh yeah mrs wants an auto

We were deciding (mainly on looks and on paper specs) between the MAZDA CX7 Luxury sports activmatic and the Subaru forester 2.5 XT Premium sport shift.

After crawling through both cars playing with all switches and gismos, annoying the sales men on spec's and limits etc we took the cars for a test drive which included taking them over 100km/h, a few quick launches and then through some twisties, hairpins and up hill roads...our results;

We started off by taking the Forester for a test drive...
    Car was 250km old

Pro's
    +Punchy 2.5L boxer engine which really pulls hard over 3000 rpm
    +well appointed - HUGE sunroof, big screen for sat nav and reverse camera etc
    +Good looks
    +fun car

Con's
    - not very comfortable front seats ~ felt narrow and slippery
    - audio system good but not great
    - felt a little boaty... body roll (but ive been told this is easly fixed with bigger sway bars and strut brace.
    -

Next was the Mazda CX7 Luxury under 100km on the clock

Pro's
    + MAZDA
    + looks
    + great mazda build
    + cheapest
    + minimum body roll felt allot tighter than Forester

Con's
    -drive ...turbo lag and lack of get up and go really surprising (to have fun must stay in boost and then that was limited due to auto GB)
    -crappy feel when really pushing hard...can feel the front slip and then push drive to rear wheels...ecu seemed confused
    - dash bland - many buttons (too busy), tiny sat nav/reverse camera
    - overall feel...car feels like a really big car...mrs said it felt like a tarago!
    -Tiny sunroof

We walked next door to mazda and had a quick squizz at the Mitsubishi OUTLANDER VR-X V6 3.0L (not that we even considered an outlander at all)

WOW this was a surprise.... the build quality looked ok, the appointments were many, large screen sat nav and looked quite good

Pro's
    + V6 engine
    + looks good
    + Evo X drive train
    + great audio/visual set up
    + cargo area well set up

Cons
    - its a Mitsubishi
    - crap colours
    - drives a little like the CX7 until you activate the evo drive train then it felt like the Forester but also consumed more petrol.

I have to say I was very disappointed in the CX7 I/we expected more... it just felt big slow and dumb....compared to the Forester and Outlander...yes it looks great and does have the great mazda build quality but it didnt have it where it counts...missing the fun factor.
    In contrast both the Forester and the outlander felt quick & sporty ... a car you enjoyed squashing the right peddle to the floor and but once you had your fun drive it normally again....just waiting for it to beg you to push it hard again.

Before I make my final decision ill take all cars out on another test drive...a longer one....really seeing what the cars feel like.

Are there any other cars I should look at in this class?
    MAZDA 3 SP23 : XFORCE : EIBACH : WHITELINE : AUTOEXE : CORKSPORT : KMAC : TWM : AFX :SCANGUAGE 2 : XHP : KUMO : CARBON PRODUCTS : AERO BODY STYLING : BLAUPUNKT : INFINITY : TOMTOM : SPARKSECRET.COM : MONZA : AERPRO : JBS Customs : FHRX EARTHING KIT : DYNAMATT : UNIDEN : RFI : iPOD : STINGER : REDLINE Tuning :

SUBARU FORESTER MY10 XT-P
    : TCP AUTO : HYPERFLOW : PERRIN : WHITELINE : STi : BREMBO : BEATRUSH : TURBOSMART : LENSO : PULSE RACING TUNE @ 182 AWKW

Forester mate. You wont be disappointed.

Other than that, maybe Nissan Murano?
    Dad looked at it, but we decided the subie was a better option.

Holden Captiva????

Have you considered the Diesel CX7?

No sun roof but it is a manual.

The CX7 and the Forester are pretty different vehicles. I just traded from a CX7. I didnt even think twice about choosing it over a Forester for what I needed. I found the CX7 turbo to be fine. The Forester is a very very good car but the CX7 looks much classier and is more comfortable for 4 people. It handles well and has plenty of power for its size. I came out of an RX8 into the CX7 so it took a lot of convincing for me to get comfortable with it..but its a lovely cockpit and you sit up that bit higher than a Forester. Its not an X5 or anything but people do comment on what a nice car it is all the time. It was a nice comfortable car that both myself and my partner could enjoy driving. Great zippy easy driving in busy traffic. Big wide front seats and cabin to relax in. Good BOSE stereo. It really grows on you and makes sense after a while.

In the future I would love to get another CX7. It all depends if you want a station wagon or a sporty SUV type of ride.
    Last edited by nzjono; 21-03-2010 at 11:41 PM.

6. Default

Andy what about the Volkswagon Tiguan supposed to be a very nice car ... or could u possibly instill the manual love in here and look at the diesel cx7 ?

the salesman stated the CX7 Diesel was slower than the petrol...yes the torque is greater but slower over all....it was also lower in included options like sunroof.

I might go took at a VW tiguan today

We both have manual cars at the moment but the rational behind an auto is the next car will see the start of a family and driving a manual witha screaming baby/tot thats turning it on could be a little hard....it what the mrs wants.

BUT saying that if we find a good 2nd hand car or a get a great price on a manual it will not be discounted from the options.

Across all models im also looking into mods (once a modifier always a modifier)

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

are there any pro or advers reviews on any of the below models?

Forester XT?
    http://www.themotorreport.com.au/104...ad-test-review

CX7 Lux?
    http://www.themotorreport.com.au/398...fwd-base-model

Outlander V6?
    2010 Mitsubishi ZH Outlander First Drive Test | The Motor Report: Auto News And Reviews

even Tiguan
    http://www.themotorreport.com.au/489...stralian-debut

or good local forums/sites to find best mods?
    Last edited by A Pirate; 22-03-2010 at 08:37 AM.
    MAZDA 3 SP23 : XFORCE : EIBACH : WHITELINE : AUTOEXE : CORKSPORT : KMAC : TWM : AFX :SCANGUAGE 2 : XHP : KUMO : CARBON PRODUCTS : AERO BODY STYLING : BLAUPUNKT : INFINITY : TOMTOM : SPARKSECRET.COM : MONZA : AERPRO : JBS Customs : FHRX EARTHING KIT : DYNAMATT : UNIDEN : RFI : iPOD : STINGER : REDLINE Tuning :

: TCP AUTO : HYPERFLOW : PERRIN : WHITELINE : STi : BREMBO : BEATRUSH : TURBOSMART : LENSO : PULSE RACING TUNE @ 182 AWKW

8. Default

Last edited by blackbetty; 22-03-2010 at 08:53 AM.
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

second link was an interesting read thanks Mel.

10. Default

Have you considered a 2nd hand X3 3.0d?

They come with the 3L diesel. Which is a beast of an engine in the bigger heavier X5. I can only assume it would haul ass in the X3.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher_13 View Post

They come with the 3L diesel. Which is a beast of an engine in the bigger heavier X5. I can only assume it would haul ass in the X3.
    Hell yeah these things are awesome....i have a secret obsession with them especially the X5 Mmmmmm

Last edited by MISSMPS; 22-03-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A Pirate View Post
    We both have manual cars at the moment but the rational behind an auto is the next car will see the start of a family and driving a manual witha screaming baby/tot thats turning it on could be a little hard....it what the mrs wants.
    I'm all for the "Happy Wife, Happy Life" philosophy but the above doesn't make sense, if a baby is being a large enough distraction that you can't drive
    a manual car, it's probably time to pull over and give them a while to settle.

In fact, I find the temptation to futz around with a kid in the back seat is LESS while driving a manual than an auto, which ultimately makes it safer since you shouldn't really be doing anything with your hands while moving other than driving.

Jus' sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher_13 View Post

Ive seen generally scathing reviews on this model. I think this one sums it up pretty well.

Savagely disappointing compact SUV that will leave hoardes of trusting buyers trying to figure out how BMW got it so wrong. Rides like a pogo stick on a cattle grid.
    a pogo stick

The second hand X5 would be a better bet but in the $30 to 40k mark you willbe looking at older very high k models that will just spell huge money as things will and do go wrong. Also they make you look like a Real Estate Agent...and on the Gold Coast thats not a cool thing at all...
    Last edited by nzjono; 22-03-2010 at 11:59 AM.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nzjono View Post
    Ive seen generally scathing reviews on this model. I think this one sums it up pretty well.

a pogo stick

The second hand X5 would be a better bet but in the $30 to 40k mark you willbe looking at older very high k models that will just spell huge money as things will and do go wrong. Also they make you look like a Real Estate Agent...and on the Gold Coast thats not a cool thing at all...
    You need to make sure you link to the review so we can see if they are completely negative about the car or if that is the only thing they don't like. For example they could be down on everything and be saying the engines are useless when every other reviewer says they are magic. Then we can judge the review on its merits.

I am looking at a second hand X5 BMW and was on the cards but i was hoping to go new too (best mates dad is a dealer principal and has one coming in soon for a good price).

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by A Pirate View Post
    I am looking at a second hand X5 BMW and was on the cards but i was hoping to go new too (best mates dad is a dealer principal and has one coming in soon for a good price).
    My old man has a 2006 BMW X5 3.0d that has done 100,000km+ and has had no issues what so ever.

okies I took 2 more cars for a test drive today both cars under 50km old.

The 2.4L (4cl) Outlander

Pro's
    + Cheap in cost
    + still has the looks
    + 5/10 factory warranty

Con's
    - Tinny sounding engine
    - CVT gearbox is not very nice - feels like its always undecided
    - basic model is BASIC and feels plasticity
    - Cheap in interior build
    - After driving the V6 this car is spoilt
    - $7500 price to bring up to luxury standard of VR-X

Then as suggested I had a look at the VW Tiguan
    I opted to take the diesel for a spin and I was pleasantry surprised again...

VW Tiguan was a 103Kw 2.0LTD

Pros
    + Solid build
    + Quiet Diesel
    + Good torque from engine and had the get up and go...better than the CX7.
    + felt nice to drive
    + Park assist where it steers itself...strange feeling BUT parked very well on its own.

Con's
    - Dearest car
    - Everything is an option
    - expensive services ~ every 15000km or 1yr
    - too many gizmos could get fiddly
    - electric hand break
    - light steering wheel at slow speeds and heavier at higher speeds felt very strange!

I may have to give the CX7 a second chance and take out the Diesel since the tiguan was much better than first thought.

CX-7 deisel is much more powerful, but car is heavier, and it only comes in manual.

No auto option as the mazda box cant handle the torque.

insurance with AAMI top cover 0 accidents/claims rating 1 for life:

XT forester - $960
    V6 Outlander - $1024
    Cx7 - $1141
    Tiguan - Must call no internet quote

I think the thing to remember is that everyones view and internet reviews are fairly subjective.

I guess you will know the right car for you when you are driving it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast