User Tag List

Thread: TMR - 2010 Mazda 6 Road Test and Review

Default TMR - 2010 Mazda 6 Road Test and Review

IT KICKED OFF Mazda’s ‘Zoom-Zoom’ campaign in August 2002: that was the strikingly-styled first-gen Mazda6. Back then it introduced a new sense of dynamism to the medium car sector. It was a good performer, if a little coarse, and the MPS AWD Turbo was a scorcher.

The 6, and in particular the zesty 3 that followed it, have been global success stories for the Mazda brand.

But we all know that the gravest danger for any model with a bit of sporting elan is that the next generation arrives bigger, fatter and overblown, and too often with the very characteristics that made them appealing smothered by excess.

That could have been the story for the Mazda6. Yes, the second generation was bigger and fatter – but it was also better.

The third-gen, we’ve just driven it, is better again. Sure, its straight-line performance is nothing special, there are not a lot of kilowatts punching away under the bonnet, but its strength is in its dynamics and refinement.

And, after all, the 6 has never pretended to be a road-rocket - that’s been the preserve of the MPS.

No, Mazda’s 6 is about on-road balance, responsiveness, precise handling and with enough under the toe to satisfy the discerning driver. Its essence is that slightly annoying but very effective ‘Zoom-Zoom’ thang.

The subtle updates on the 2010 model, especially the revisions to the suspension geometry, are genuine improvements to an already good car. Does it now shade the Accord Euro? That’s a question for a longer test.

But after some spirited kilometres at the wheel in both the ‘Activematic’ auto and six-speed manual (the auto in Limited guise and the manual the top-spec Luxury Sports), Mazda would seem to have most things right dynamically.

Like the first and second generation models before it, the 2010 6 is an enjoyable steer in a very smart looking package.

Inside, things are also smart. The power-adjustable seats (added across the range) are good in both up-spec and down-spec models; the dash display and controls are well laid-out, and the piano-black and metal highlights set off an appealingly styled interior.

In even the entry models, it feels classy – expensive even – and is a large step up (to these eyes) from the Mazda3.

Of course, the 6 is shooting for a different demographic: “28 to 34 year olds… white collar males while still appealing to older and female buyers” according to Mazda’s pre-release guff.

Certainly the coachwork will appeal to any demographic. While only a practiced eye will pick the external differences between the new model and the old, the 6 remains a style leader in its segment: its edgy but nicely balanced lines are both individual and – most would agree – unusually stylish in a mostly humdrum segment.

The lines of the wagon, in particular, work very well; something that will not be lost on family buyers with an eye to style.

Of course, anyone can build a handsome car, but fewer get the on-road experience right.

The Drive

From the wheel, the now cheaper 2010 6 (thanks to Mazda passing on the benefits of exchange rate movements) certainly lays down the gauntlet to others in the sector.

The improvements to the updated 6 make a sharp handler, sharper. It will take a very good car to better the 6 for dynamics.

With reach and rake adjustment to the tiller, and those electrically-adjustable seats across the range, it is easy to ‘get set’ at the wheel.

Of the pair, manual and auto (the manual-only diesel will not arrive until next month), the six-speed manual feels the most lively off the line.

The clutch feel, and precise shift action through the six-speed gate, feel ‘right’. It is a slick box, centres nicely between third and fourth when being rowed along, and is the pick for the sporting driver.

The Activematic auto, a five-speed, is shaded a little by higher-tech DSGs in the market, but is no slouch. In the new model, it feels a little sharper – a little quicker to kick down than the previous-gen model we were driving just two weeks ago.

The auto has a nice feature: a ‘slope control’ function that selects gears according to the upward or downward slope of the road, or the curve and driver’s intent. This all-but eliminates ‘hunting’ on upward inclines and puts the right gear underfoot when pushing through the apexes.

Luxury and Luxury Sports models also get paddle shifters on the steering wheel in addition to the centre shift (which, incidentally, has the more logical ‘tip forward’ for down-shifts, ’pull back’ for up-shifts).

We had the six-speed manual for the more challenging sections of the drive. On the hunt, when stretching out the rev-band, it is a bit of a hoot – nicely composed, swift, and, above 5000rpm it sings with a very nice brattish rasp from the MZR 2.5 litre petrol ‘four’ up front.

With 125kW@6000rpm and 226Nm@4000rpm, it is not over-endowed with kilowatts nor Newton metres. To really hustle, things need to be kept in the sweet spot above 4000rpm; do that, and the 6 will happily pick up its skirts.

The nicely weighted shift helps, so too the sharpened steering feel. There is a little understeer evident when pushing hard, but otherwise turn-in is good if not razor edge.

We had the tyre-walls scrubbing a couple of times but that was under serious duress (and there is a fair mass in the 6’s spacious dimensions).

The only let-down is the lack of torque; this can find the 6 wanting on long inclines or when overtaking. There is nothing much under the foot below 4000rpm; mashing the pedal provides little result.

Drop down a couple of cogs of course and things suddenly brighten up, but some drivers will be looking for a few more ergs than the 2.5 litre up front is capable of.

That’s where the diesel comes in, but it won’t be available for another month (and a diesel is not everyone’s cup of tea). More to the point, don't bother waiting for a diesel auto, because there won't be one - manual only I'm afraid.

The greatest improvement with the new 6 though is in refinement. Mazda engineers have revised both front and rear suspension geometry and damper settings

The result is not only a demonstrable improvement in ride comfort (with good initial compliance), but NVH, and, in particular, road roar is significantly reduced.

The rear suspension now features more rigid mounting bushes which has really quietened things down, especially on coarse-chip surfaces.

It was a bit of an Achilles-heel of previous-gen models – the 6 was always noisier than the Mondeo which shared essentially the same platform – but for refinement the new model is now arguably at the head of the segment.

PAGE 2

[Source: TMR]

2. Default

how hot does the wagon look inthe first pic

Blog Entries

Its starting to grow on me for sure!

Diesel 6 Wagon and chip it. MPS - AWD

5. Default

I can share a few things about the 6 wagon, and a few tidbits about the diesel models.

1) The wagon I drove the other day was a great luxury machine, and coming from a Gen 1 3MPS, there wasn't a blind spot to be had. Full leather interior, fantastic climate control and other mod-cons all made the ride as luxurious as it could get. Even the door liners had a nice leather touch to them (even if it was faux leather).

2) It comes in semi-auto trans only, so, as mentioned above, not the most powerful machine on the road, but fill the boot with gear, chuck the family (or mates) in and go cruising down the highway and it'll hold its' place nicely. Driving through the Reefton Spur was interesting, and even with a motion-sick passenger from Mazda besides me, we got through with magnificant handling, very unexpected given the overall dimensions and weight of the wagon.

3)It's a wagon! Living outside the suburban fringe, most people have 4X4's for a purpose, either towing, work, or going offroad regularly. I work in a relatively prestigeous area of Melbourne, and see many 4x4's being used as single child family machines. Reason? Space.... I argue the point, "Why not a wagon?" as they are often more economical, are visually less obtrusive and have better characteristics of driving akin to a regular car. I am pro-wagon in a suburban setting, and support not only Mazda in this venture, but I am taken with the prestigue feel of new 6 wagon and the looks.

4) As for information on the diesels across the 3, 6 and CX range, I have been told that although great drives (and the 3 turbo diesel is a real beast, just shy of the 3MPS), they aren't suited for short trips or stop-start traffic due to residue deposits in the exhaust over time. If I was a country driver and in the car for over 40 mins per trip with minimal stopping, then it would be perfect, but around the 'burbs.... I would pass due to longer-term issues.

I thank OzMPS for extending the invite to me, and I thoroughly enjoyed the trip. I hope everyone else found it entertaining and informative, and also liked travelling through the edge of my home town of Cockatoo.

I can verify that Dr Teeth, is the expert on the 6 wagon.

We could not get him out of it.

Thanks to the guys from Mazda Australia for the day and Rowan and staff for the invite.

I think that there are photos around so at some stage they will be put up.
    Last edited by BlueMPS; 19-03-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Default Fun day

I would agree with Blue, we could not get the Doc out of the Wagon.

We started with the CX7 TD and I found it such an easy drive. Good power delivery, quiet (hard to tell it is a TD other than at start up) and it handles really well for a tall car, sitting flat through corners and with a good feel at the wheel. A friend has the Gen1 CX7 and loves the drive but hates the fuel bill, with the TD I think they have found the right balance between power and efficiency. Usual great Mazda finish and it now has the same sat nav as the gen2 3's.

We then jumped into a new 6 classic and other than the journos that drove it the day before killing the clutch it was a similar experience to the CX7. A bit more body roll and an overall more sedate feel in the suspension, but it is a family car. Personally I found the seats in the classic a bit soft and lacked the support I am used to in the MPS or the feel of those in the CX7. I am sure in more up market models they are better. The dash has everything you need neatly laid out like all Mazdas including climate control which is pretty good for what is almost the base model. But they have not added the Sat Nav like they have in the CX7 and 3s and according to Mazda Guru it wont come in until the next model.

Blue and I finished the day in the titanic CX9 and other than taking a bit of time to work out where the Handbrake was, it was a breeze. You know that you are in a big heavy car but all the soccer mums will find it easy to get used to. It has the touch screen stereo/sat nav/reversing camera in the centre of the console which is great and I think can be added to the new 6 at some expense. I wish they put it in my MPS like they have in Japan

Anyway, it was a fun day and I'll try to get some photos up over the weekend.

A big thanks to the Mazda Australia crew for their hospitality, generosity and bravery for giving new cars to 3 MPS drivers to play with. It was nice to meet people from other Mazda clubs as well.

Thanks to OzMPSclub for the opportunity.
    Last edited by Maginty; 20-03-2010 at 08:21 AM.