User Tag List

Thread: Exhaust Intake then what? Tune

Default Exhaust Intake then what? Tune

I spoke recently (all beit breifly) with Ward when he was at CES Racing. He spoke of the recalled gearbox mount bolt, well, since then I have had the time to take it to Southcity Mazda, on Dec 23rd I took my recent aquisition in for a knocking type noise, 2 hrs later I'm informed that the gearbox bolt was broken, was recalled, but never replaced by the previous owner and as such is now requiring a new mount too. I was told that they were going to de-tune my new toy, pissed off, I decided to head straight to CES for a dump pipe, among other parts. I've fitted the dump pipe, made the exhaust myself (as a former employee of CES, why not.) fitted a K&N filter and then took it for a run. Now I have boost issues. Does anybody hit boost cut? It appears to be at approx. 20 psi. Is it a simple fix, or do I need a tune? Then that starts a new topic! I'll post that question in the correct forum. Thanks.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    I spoke recently (all beit breifly) with Ward when he was at CES Racing. He spoke of the recalled gearbox mount bolt, well, since then I have had the time to take it to Southcity Mazda, on Dec 23rd I took my recent aquisition in for a knocking type noise, 2 hrs later I'm informed that the gearbox bolt was broken, was recalled, but never replaced by the previous owner and as such is now requiring a new mount too. I was told that they were going to de-tune my new toy, pissed off, I decided to head straight to CES for a dump pipe, among other parts. I've fitted the dump pipe, made the exhaust myself (as a former employee of CES, why not.) fitted a K&N filter and then took it for a run. Now I have boost issues. Does anybody hit boost cut? It appears to be at approx. 20 psi. Is it a simple fix, or do I need a tune? Then that starts a new topic! I'll post that question in the correct forum. Thanks.

Yep boost cut happens when you hit 18psi for more than 2seconds.

2 ways to get around it: 1) map clamp or 2) piggyback/flash tune.

Option 1 is the dodgy way but it works and number 2 is the better way but is expensive.
    CPE CAI, CPE catted DP, Custom 3" exhaust, Heavily Modified KO4 turbo, Upgraded topmount Intercooler, Turbosmart Boost controller (set to 17psi), CDFP kit, Denso ITV22 spark plugs, CPE engine mount, N2MB WOTbox, Eibach prokit springs, Cobb adjustable rear sway bar, DBA 4000 rotors, Falken RT615 tyres.
    Car has made 212Kw's@wheels on Factory Mazda tune (Graham Wests dyno)

Thanks, I'm chasing up the tune ATM, just a little hard Xmas/New year public hols. most ppl are closed.

4. Default

Hey Troy,

Another reason why old Trev demanded I get the Xede..... Talk to 2000MN for the Piasini Flash (but that has other knock on effects - eg, the stock fuel pump may not cope with it) or grab an Xede (APC racing in Springwood are the best). Aussie Piasini V3 results havnt been really Dyno'd yet, but we will be doing that shortly with the up coming club dyno day.

FYI, E-Manage piggyback systems do not work on the MPS

Definately look into getting an appropriate rear engine mount. Recommend the Street Unit with 50 Duro inserts (the 60 and above duro are just too harsh), or the new CP-E mount with revised rubber inserts.

If you ever want to catch up for a beer mate and chat about upgrades, let me know ;-)
    Last edited by Wardski; 05-01-2009 at 09:37 AM.

^^^ Yes, but its in the states. I'll just have to get mine tuned here. Thanks anyway.

As mentioned, talk to Corey, or 200OMN for the Piasini flash, have it myself with the CPE full exhaust system and have never had any boost cut issues.......

MPS Garage have the first CPR PNP and Standback for the MPS3, just saw it when i had my car serviced last week.

They want some test cars, I would love to see if a MPS3 has the same results as me out of a standback!

^^^ Yes, but its in the states. I'll just have to get mine tuned here. Thanks anyway.
    My point was that noone knows exactly what parameters trigger a boost cut. Some people will say it's this or this, but like a lot of things to do with the MPS, there's still alot of things we don't know for sure. There are stock cars that experience boost cut in cold weather and tuned cars that are yet to experience it. CP-e are only treating the symptom and not the cause. Maybe in the near future, we'll have a better understanding of these things...maybe the Ukraines can do it.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj View Post
    My point was that noone knows exactly what parameters trigger a boost cut. Some people will say it's this or this, but like a lot of things to do with the MPS, there's still alot of things we don't know for sure. There are stock cars that experience boost cut in cold weather and tuned cars that are yet to experience it. CP-e are only treating the symptom and not the cause. Maybe in the near future, we'll have a better understanding of these things...maybe the Ukraines can do it.
    Thanks, I get where you are coming from, but as Aussies we need to resolve our own issues, for our own cars, the US doesn't always have exactly the same stuff as ours (octane/fuel etc). I appreciate you help though. Since fitting my HKS SSQ BOV today, I no longer hit fuel/boost cut in second gear, only in third and fourth now. Also, a flash tune isn't going to be sufficient for me, do it once, do it right is my moto. Start with the best I can afford, so I don't have to buy it anyway later down the track, thats why I'm getting either the Haltech Interceptor or Microtech LT-10, that way when I hit a wall (in modifications) it won't be the computer that I have replaced once already, it'll be some std. part that needs to be upgraded. I just got to research these things first before I commit myself to any money down.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Your 100% correct in saying a flash tune won't cut it, esp if you really want to push the limits of your machine.

I would strongly recommend you have a look at the CPE Standback as it was specifically designed for the Direct Injection engine. I did my research when i first started and the standback was far superior to the interceptor in regards to features and how it's tuned.

Not to mention it's pretty good bang for buck and you don't have to cut wires cause there is already a PNP available for it(makes demodding it pretty simple).

If you want more info, have a chat to Aaron from MPS Garage, he was the bloke that convinced me to go down this path, and i'm damm happy he did!
    CorkSport FMIC with Cold Air Induction, , Cork Sport Cat Back, CPE Standback with PNP, TurboSmart BOV, Custom Highflow Cat with CorkSports Downpipe,Pauter Rods, CP Pistons,ARP Head Studs, BIGGER TURBO COMING, Pre-ordered a Stage 3 CPE Engine.

Will do, thanks lazydog.

13. Default

Thanks, I get where you are coming from, but as Aussies we need to resolve our own issues, for our own cars, the US doesn't always have exactly the same stuff as ours (octane/fuel etc). I appreciate you help though. Since fitting my HKS SSQ BOV today, I no longer hit fuel/boost cut in second gear, only in third and fourth now. Also, a flash tune isn't going to be sufficient for me, do it once, do it right is my moto. Start with the best I can afford, so I don't have to buy it anyway later down the track, thats why I'm getting either the Haltech Interceptor or Microtech LT-10, that way when I hit a wall (in modifications) it won't be the computer that I have replaced once already, it'll be some std. part that needs to be upgraded. I just got to research these things first before I commit myself to any money down.
    I know when I had mine tuned at APC with the Xede, anything over 19 psi was causing lots of issues. I reckon if you got it properly tuned with a piggyback (either one) you'll eliminate it

Thats what I need to here, properly tuned with a piggyback will eliminate it, thanks, I don't need more issues arising down the track from not fitting the right part at the start.