User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips & Advise on MPS 6

Default Tips & Advise on MPS 6

Hi all,

I have decided recently to leave the Honda clan and sold my Civic VTi-R Coupe about a week ago. It was a good car and have served me well.

I've been looking around for my next car (a more civilised car, more power, more class) and found good reviews on about MPS. I've a couple of selection I like and was hoping to get your 2 cents of advice. The cars on my mind now are 2005 MPS 6, 2004 RX8 or 2004 Audi S-Line. Mates have been telling me to get a Golf GTi but that's way too common on the road. And the fact that it is hatch, doesn't cut out for me. I'm over the 'hatch' period in my life.

Anyway, I'm meeting a 6 MPS seller later today. I was wondering what I should be looking out during the inspection and test drive. I heard that the 6 MPS clutch is kinda 'heavy' and not suitable for quick shifting.(?) Also that the ride suspension is stiff when driving on urban road. And also noise in the cabin(?).

How much does it cost for a normal servicing and a 100k servicing for a 2005 6 MPS? What are the other recommended performance parts that can be added to the car?

Well, that's all I can come up with now. If you have any other advices, suggestion or information about it, it will be awesome!

Cheers!

Soon-to-be-MPS-owner-(maybe)

If you're after power, class and exclusivity then a MPS6 will suit you fine. GTi's aren't bad but like you said they're a hatch and also FWD. There are a couple of threads on common problems/faults that you should check out on here in regards to the MPS6. Have a read of those to get some idea. If you're going to be modifying the exhaust (Downpipe etc) watch out for white smoke (search forum) and turbo seals problems. It seems to be a common problem or design fault on Mazda.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...nty-fixes.html

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...solutions.html

As for the clutch, yes it is a heavy duty clutch being an AWD setup and can be grabby. It takes a bit of getting used to, but quick shiting, I find is not a problem at all! The suspension is stiffer than vehicles I've had previously, but I think its great comparitively. The MPS comes with sports suspension standard but does have a fair bit of body roll. Get a set of springs or Coilovers and it sits flat and tight around corners.

I find that noise in the Cabin is quite acceptable. Depending on tyre selection of course, I don't hear much noise. Infact, I've got a 300W RMS subwoofer and it's nuts when your in the car, but when you step out and close all the doors and windows you can only hear a small base. I would say the dampening/firewalls etc are the best I've had in a vehicle so I doubt you would find much road noise...unless you're looking into BMW quality and $$

Normal servicing depends on where you go I guess. It will always cost more to go to a Mazda dealer. $300min for a service with them I think. Some mechanics might go somewhere around the $200 mark for a minor. If it's out of warranty you might consider doing the minor's yourself at about $70. As for 100K service I can't comment on the cause I've only clicked 20K. I do know that there is a timing chain (not a belt) so that shouldn't need replacing like some vehicles.

Be sure to check out "MPS garage" for Performance Parts, I've got all mine from them.

http://www.mpsgarage.com.au
    (google MPS garage if link doesn't work)

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Thanks for your great tip and advice, rogwick! I didn't know that MPS uses timing chain and not belt! Which year model of 6 MPS do you own? 20K only! Wow! Weekend car?

I read the post by Swallowtail on the problems he had with his MPS and it makes me wonder how often does those problems occur on 6 MPS.

What are the other things I should look out for during the test drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    Thanks for your great tip and advice, rogwick! I didn't know that MPS uses timing chain and not belt! Which year model of 6 MPS do you own? 20K only! Wow! Weekend car?

I read the post by Swallowtail on the problems he had with his MPS and it makes me wonder how often does those problems occur on 6 MPS.

What are the other things I should look out for during the test drive?
    I think he might have been unlucky.

I have an 07 built MPS and have had no real problems. I was told by a dealer that some exhibit a resonance or "rumble" at around 100Km/h and has proven to be hard to get rid of. Mine doesn't have it. Other than that there's not much else other than what rogwick has already said.

Happy hunting.

5. Default

yeh I havent had too many issues with mine either you wont be dissapointed thats for sure

The clutch is heavy duty but NOT heavy. I have the original clutch and have no issues with it at all. I prefer it nice and direct. It's either on or off and fast shifts are fine. The car does use a timing chain. The sinuous belt is just to drive ancillaries. You might find some tailshaft tremble and rumble around 100kmh on the overrun in a higher gear. Don't worry about it unless it is plainly excessive. I believe it is a centre bearing or mount as I have had other cars (e.g V12 Jaguar Sovereign) with the same issue. It's not a problem in my car. Best way to get a quiet cabin is to get away from the Crapstone tyres fitted as stock. My tyres are perfectly quiet in contrast. Check for turbo smoke after idle. Low km cars should be OK. I have 40,000km on mine, with Dump-pipe, and zero smoke. Suspension or mounts might squeak a bit. It'll tighten up on a service. Check the rear diff mount for any cracking; some guys here have had them crack. Don't worry about loose brake pads audible as a click when manoeuvering back and forth.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Thanks guys for your information!
    I'm off to meet the MPS seller now and hopefully this is it!!

Newbie (non-turbo driver) question: white smoke @ exhaust (???) Is this turbo related?

Thanks!

No worries! I've got an 06 Model MPS6. I purchased it in September 2009 with 13,000kms on it. I'm planning on purchasing another motorcycle so that should ease off a few 1000 kms a year in addition to its already low mileage. I use the car daily, I've put 9000kms on it since I bought it, so not too bad.

As syd_Chrome mentioned I think Swallowtail may have had some bad luck! I don't think these typical problems occur too often. If you're purchasing from a dealer, the vehicle should come with a dealership warranty. I've read that mazda's are great engines but occassionally experience overheating issues. The MPS engine has forged internals stock so I don't see overheating being a problem within the MPS range. One thing that I have had first hand experience of in my ride is a clicking noise when going over bumps/entering drive ways etc. I think it may be suspension related so next time I get a service I might mention it and they can tighten the bolts. Another problem my mate has experienced is "white smoke" after installing his down pipe. There are a few threads on this and I believe the problem lies with the stock turbo seals leaking. Any other problems I haven't experienced personally but the forums are an excellent read

...NOTE...if you're planning to drag or launch it, take off DSC (Traction Control) I've read on forums of people snapping drive shafts etc cause the vehicle is applying the ABS system (to get traction) and you're pumping around 400Nm tourque to get moving. In addition a guy in the US planted his foot in a high gear at low RPM and a con rod went through the block due to too much torque at low RPM....apparently

The "rumble" that Syd_Chrome mentions (from what I know/understand) is a coupling which is attached to the drive shaft as part of the AWD system. Pulling the hand brake up to the first click converts the MPS6 into FWD. The coupling is part of the AWD setup and creates a pulsating rumble noise which is noticeable at around 100kmph. Try clicking the hand brake up on "click" to see if there is a difference in feel. You can feel it if you sit in the rear seats. I don't think it is a problem, most MPS6's do it. My mates got the same car and it does the same thing

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Great advice there If it was in another section I would thank the posts
    Welcome Onyx and good luck!

^^ What he said

I don't think I need to add anything more other than a Welcome and good hunting for your MPS 6, if you have any questions am happy to help!
    Cheers
    Chris

White smoke is held to be turbo related, when the seals fail and bleed spindle lube oil into the exhaust. It is often exacerbated by addition of a dump pipe (DP) mod, due, it is believed, to differential pressure either side of the seals. Refer other threads. That's why I added FMIC and DP at the same time, to eliminate that issue. It hasn't become one, so far.

I can add some more info on the drive line resonance. It's caused by a combination of free play in the upper drive train and the diff coupling operation.

The diff coupling operates off a square wave control signal at a frequency of roughly 20 hz. That means it engages and disengages 20 times per second. The diff coupling is a good way of eliminating the centre diff in a AWD platform. However it's also a good way to introduce resonance.

If you have the resonance it will peak at 103kmh in 6th gear. Below 80 and above 120 kmh it wont be noticeable. A difference in front to rear tyre diameter of just 2mm is enough to bring it on if the other conditions exist.

The simplest solution on cars that resonate is to install the diff switch and switch off the rear diff when cruising at highway speed.

There are only three cars that I know of that have had the resonance resolved. Two are in Germany and the third is mine. Unfortunately the solution is to replace the gearbox, which is where the problem-causing free play exists.
    Last edited by kmh001; 17-03-2010 at 07:39 PM.

Gone to Volvo

Hey guys!

Thanks for your info! Looks like there are a lot I need to know bout this car. Diff switch, traction control, turbo, etc. I guess I will be spending much time on this forum!

I went to test drive the MPS yesterday. And I must say I am impression with the car. It's the MPS with leather pack. Being a 5 years old car with 90,000km on the engine, the overall is good except for multiple stone chips on the bonnet. The owner has not mod the car and is pretty much stock. The engine has a nice deep sound to it which I love.

The clutch was heavy but manageable. I did not find any problem with shifting the gears. The owner looks a bit concern when I was redlining 2nd to the 3rd gear along the suburban streets (My bad! I don't drive like a lunatic normally). The brakes are responsive and engine brakes works well when drop back to 2nd. The overall ride level was comfortable!

Question now is... How much would you pay for a black 2005 MPS6 (leather pack) with 90,000km in mint condition?

I would say the value of the vehicle would fall somewhere around $26,000 - $29,100 (based on redbook est) obviously without taking into consideration of Registration costs, condition, tyre replacement/wear. A fair few turbo cars need to have the turbo's rebuild at 100K, not sure if this is the case with the MPS. Many of the guys on here have replaced the turbo or had some sort of work done under 50,000kms, so I would say keep that in mind or look into it.

Just for your info my 06 MPS6 I purchased with 13,000kms on it for around $33K (non-leather-light weight spec!!) was in as-new condition. Being a black car, I would tend to inspect the car for a good 5mins for scratches (I believe they tend to show more on dark vehicles)

If you're redlining gears, you'll probably notice the car experience a significant drop in power at high RPM. If you look into intakes, exhausts, TIP etc, you can eliminate that drop-off at high RPM a fair bit. The stock intake is quite restrictive

M P S

I only red-lined the car a few time on a circuit. Peak of the very flat torque curve is around 5,000, so its a bit of a waste of time wringing it out much beyond that, especially in an un-modded car where the airflows are beginning to be compromised by restrictive intake and exhaust. Day to day I rarely see more than 3500rpm, and I don't drive like a granny. My average fuel burn is 11-12 l/100km around town, but will rise to 13 in heavy going or with a more active driving style. Open roads at sustained limit speeds are giving me an easy 9 - 9.5.

Although I enjoy my car a lot now, I would have been entirely happy to keep my car un-modded and found it has more than enough grunt to see almost ever element of any reasonable competition retreating in the rear view mirror, and without caning it.

It's a very smooth torquey motor and pulls happily from low speeds in relatively high gears for just loafing around and as long as you don't want max performance under 2500rpm when the turbo starts to have effect.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

16. Default

yeh I would say about $27 - $28k for the car...I have a black one and pay once a year for a good professional detail to help it keep looking good. And I totally agree with Doug the car has plenty of grunt to bring a smile to your face stock, maybe change the rims to wider ones and get some nice tyres on there and you will be as happy as a pig in mud

Yah... The seller I saw yesterday wanted $27k for his MPS. I would pay for it at that price if he fix up the stone chips on the bonnet.

The more I read on this forum and learn more about the MPS, the more I'm liking the car! I prefer a black over the rest of the colour range. I might be seeing a 06 MPS sometime next week. Looks really clean. The thing is that it is silver in colour and it is close to the 100k mark.

I believe I will be happy with the stock engine performance and will stay stock for awhile. After spending so much money, it will leave a big hole in my pocket so performance parts will not be happening anytime soon.

But just out of curiousity, how much different do you get from the mods you done on your MPS? What are the gains like by changing the intake? I noted on MPSGarage that they have a complete CAI system by Corksport. Does anyone have one install? Has anyone rebuilt or purchase a new turbo for their 6MPS?

Oh! Something just pop into my mind. Are there any difference between the different year model of MPS? They all look the same to me.

18. Default

talk them down to $25 or so get the bonnet respraed yourself and maybe front bumber might have chips too and other bits touched up.

Only difference in year model as far as I know is the 05 model head unit does not play MP3's and some other slight difference in shapes of some pipes in engine bay ... theres a thread here someplace asking the very same question

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Heres the link http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...do-i-have.html
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Yeah, as Blackbetty said the 06 (or newer) models have MP3 capabilities, and there are some minimal alterations on the Intake manifold and BOV connection, they must have chosen to revise it for some reason. I only know cause I got an 06 and my mates got an 05 and we noticed it when comparing the two.

I've got a CAI at the moment with a K&N filter and I can notice a difference at high RPM. The car feels more aggressive. It wants to keep going past 5,000RPM not whimp out sort of like the stock. Some of the other guys have SRI's installed. I can't comment on the feel/performance/sound but I would image it would be much the same as a CAI, personal preference I reckon. The SRI would be easier to service and maintain. You don't have to take the wheel guard off!

A few guys have dyno sheets claiming they have an increase of around 4-8kW with the intake. All I know is it's definitely not slower, feels like it has more grunt and sounds awesome

M P S

The gains for an intake alone are minimal to non-existent on an MPS because the stock intake is not nearly as restrictive as aftermarket parts salesmen would have you believe. The factory team Targa cars use a completely stock intake including airbox and make plenty of mumbo.

However it makes sense to have an intake to realise the full potential of other mods if you do them.

The main reason to do an intake is the noise. If you do nothing else at least put an SRI on it. With the standard airbox fitted you wont even hear the turbo and that's just wrong.

Regarding how you use the engine, if you're coming from a Honda you'll be used to using high rpm because Honda's use mathematics to make power whereas the MPS uses torque. I'd suggest you recalibrate your right foot to keep the engine down in the 3000 to 4500 rpm range where it works best. You'll actually go quicker if you stay below 5,000 rpm. The peak power rpm is determined by the camshaft profile so regardless of whatever mods are done, if the cams are stock, you'll never gain anything going over 5000 rpm other than to severely shorten the life expectancy of the engine.

Gone to Volvo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast