User Tag List

Thread: Stock Turbo

Default Stock Turbo

hey guys.. asking a couple of questions for a mps3 owner mate of mine who is a bit computer illiterate lol.. anyway, here goes..

have read on here that the stock turbo runs at 14.5 psi in 3rd and above... what does it run in 1st and 2nd when the boost is limited??

which leads me on to...what can we turn the boost up to on the stock turbo, i'm under the impression a tune will fiddle with other things but not actually change the amount of boost ?

will a boost controller fix this and can we disable the boost cut in 1st and 2nd..

If the stock turbo is no good to turn up the boost on what model garret replacement should he be going for?

thanks in advance for any help, cheers

- i think the boost in first is limited to 11psi and 13 psi in second, not sure exactly, but its around tose figures

- once the computer detects 18psi, then you will get boost cut, so you can technically dial up an aftermarket electronic boost controller to 17.9psi, though there are ways around this to enable a higher level of boost

- a tune will be able to increase the amount of boost the engine runs

- no you cannot bypass the boost restriction in first and second with a boost controller from what i have heard, but correct me if i am wrong

- the compressor maps show that it should be good for a slight increase in boost, but if you want bigger, any of these garrets will be good - Protege Garage turbos

I would stay away from turning up the boost with a controller alone.. they are a little prone to spiking stock anyways.. best to get a flash tune or a piggyback (XEDE or Standback).

As mentioned.. if it spikes for a second or so you will get boost cut.

I am certainly not the most technical person on here so ill shut up until someone who is comes along

if you put in an aftermarket electronic boost controller, then you wouldn't get any spikes at all as the replacement solenoid will respond faster to stop it from happening

there are now fancy electronic boost controllers (ebc) that dont require cutting up the harness anymore and are tuneable via the ecu as it connects to the factory harness

so no more cutting up the harness and tuning on that little screen on "older" ebcs
    Last edited by kagerou; 17-03-2010 at 04:56 PM.

The boost limit is able to be removed by getting a flash tune. Why you would want this is beyond me

18psi is the most the turbo is efficient to, after this it becomes heat.

You can boost past 18psi with a MBC (manual boost controller), but, you will need to either buy a boost cut defender (MPSgarage) or make it yourself (JAYCAR)

The smaller Garrett GT 2850 is slightly bigger than standard, although you'd need custom everything to make it fit.

Contact Allstar Tuning Systems
    They work on the Grand Prix Mazda race cars. They can help you with a hi-flow turbo and ball-bearing inernals.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.