User Tag List

Thread: Gold Coast/QLD bad weather cai question

Default Gold Coast/QLD bad weather cai question

Hey, i know this may sounds strange, but i have an aem cai and with the bad weather lately, ive been somewhat paranoid to drive my mps...anyone else driven?and did they experience any problems with their cai/maf/hydrolock issues?just trying to see what type of intensities the cai can handle...

hopefully will get a shield on there next weeked

Thanks guys

My brother was driving his pulsar in typical gold coast summer afternoon rain and hydrolocked the engine, which was totally destroyed by deformation of pistons, con-rods and crank.

I even had water short out the MAF sensor in the MPS when driving in rain with the stock airbox before I installed an SRI.

You definitely need to be careful. It's worth noting that the water wont get into the intake unless it's draw in. So stay off the boost and keep the rpm low when you're driving in rain.

Any combustion engine will make significantly less power when it's raining anyway, so it's a waste of time asking it to perform in the wet.

Gone to Volvo

3. Default

I have a CPE CAI with the pre filter on and have been driving everyday around SE Qld in this weather and had no problem. You do have to be careful going slow through puddles etc but I may have just been lucky?

I went through an auto carwash last night. It had an underbody sprayer. Driving off with my shiny clean Mazda 3 MPS and splutter splutter engine light on. Im running a CAI. Tried the hairdryer on the pod but it didnt help. Idled it down to my local Mazda service center this morning. They spent 10 minutes removing the tubing etc on the CAI and emptied out the water and bingo all is fine again. They even did it for free as Im due in for a service next week.

In any event it shows how exposed these CAI can be. Im definitely looking at some shielding on that left hand side under the wheel arch. If only they had inverted those air flow slots the other way.

Blog Entries

It all depends on how you drive in the weather...I had my CAI fitted when we had the floods and MASSIVE amount of rain and not a problem at all.

You just have to be aware that you had to avoid puddles where you can and just drive a little more cautiously through any water.

Shield will help and so will a pre-filter.

Ok to drive guys but stay well away from Flowing rivers or water over road, water above halfway up your door is bad for your interior, motor and safety of you

Just be sensible guys. .

Smile Good advise !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LILZLR View Post
    Ok to drive guys but stay well away from Flowing rivers or water over road, water above halfway up your door is bad for your interior, motor and safety of you

Just be sensible guys. .

Yes guys listen to LILZLR he's a FNQueenslander

Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

Yeah, you tell em Col, these BRissy boys havent seen flooding like we get up here, but this climate change looks like it's changing that for em

Quote Originally Posted by LILZLR View Post

Just be sensible guys. .
    Thanks Cpt. Obvious

Even slight ponding on the road is enough for a CAI to pick up.

Just buy an SRI and be done with it
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    I'm never drinking again