User Tag List

Thread: Mercedes-Benz New 5.5 Litre Twin-Turbo V8 Engine Revealed

Default Mercedes-Benz New 5.5 Litre Twin-Turbo V8 Engine Revealed

MERCEDES-BENZ HAS released further details of its new 5.5 litre V8 engine. Codenamed M157, the new engine is set to replace the 6.2 litre V8 currently doing service in the AMG line-up.

Featuring direct-injection, the new smaller-capacity twin-turbo-charged V8 produces 400kW and 800Nm of torque, bettering the naturally-aspirated 6.2 litre engine's 390kW and 630Nm of torque.

The 5.5 litre V8 engine's maximum power is available at 4400rpm, with the huge torque figure coming online between 2000rpm and 4500rpm.

An even more powerful version of the engine will be offered, with power jumping to 420kW and 900Nm of torque thanks to the AMG Performance Package.

When the new engine debuts in the next-generation S63 AMG (a name change to S55 AMG might be in order), it will be paired with Mercedes' seven-speed MCT transmission, already available in the E63 AMG.

In the new S63 AMG, Mercedes-Benz says the new engine offers a 25 percent improvement to fuel consumption, using just 10.5 l/100km. The 0-100km/h sprint is covered in 4.5 seconds - one hundredth of a second faster than the current model.

Weighing in at 204kg, the new engine is based on the new M278 twin-turbo 4.6 litre V8 engine that Mercedes-Benz is also developing, which will make its way into the new CLS and S-class models.

[Source: TMR]
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

2. Default

Do u think i could do an engine swap... but then again, i would have to admit to having a Merc part in the car... naahh... I'll just stick with my teeeeny-weeny donk!

Still... nice one! A conservative approach by Merc... going fro 6.3 L to 5.5 L.

How long is it before they go AMG hybrid? hahaha

900NM..., thats double of what my MPS has WOW!!!!!

that is a damn cool engine. would love to see them dump that into a compact sports model. power to weight ratio would b insane hehe