User Tag List

Thread: Mazda reportedly adding brake override systems to all future models

Blog Entries

Default Mazda reportedly adding brake override systems to all future models

Filed under: Safety, Mazda

2010 Mazda6 - Click above for high-res image gallery

According to a recent report, Mazda will be installing brake override systems on all of its models in the near future. Whenever that happens, the brake will automatically get priority over the accelerator in a situation where both of them are simultaneously depressed. Nissan already has such a system installed on most of its cars, and Toyota has already pledged to do so. As far as Japan goes that leaves companies like Honda, Mitsubishi, Subaru and Suzuki in the "Undecided" column.

A Mazda spokesman said the company wasn't aware of any unintended acceleration issues with its vehicles anywhere in the world that would necessitate such a system. This really looks to be a proactive move, since the estimated $50-per-car cost of the brake override will be much less hurtful than having to recall an untold numbers of cars... and you'll be paying for it, anyway. The company doesn't have details yet on the specifics of implementation, but it will eventually apply to every car the company sells.

Gallery: Geneva 2010: Mazda6

[Source: Automotive News - Sub. Req.]Mazda reportedly adding brake override systems to all future models originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 09 Mar 2010 15:32:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Why not have a BIG disable/ panic button on the dash????

That sucks

More Nany State..

I hated that about my Drive By Wire VW it would cut power when i mashed the brake.. grrr ala left foot braking

For those involved in motorsports this is going to be an issue
    As for the average joe though, its good to see they are taken safety measures etc

Looks to me like a solution looking for a problem. I've driven millions of kilometres and never ever had an issue with "unintended acceleration" - even when driving automatics, where I use both feet.

It's a skill easily learnt (forklift drivers use both feet all the time), although some people can't seem to transition from a manual to an auto and not apply clutch level pressures to the brake, resulting in unintended crash stops. :-)

I reckon people should be properly taught and learn to drive and not be given some of these silly electronic nannies to save their inept skins, although such facilities as TCS, DSC and ABS I don't believe fall into quite the same category as various lockouts such as this, and auto headlights and rain sensing wipers.

I know where the wiper switch is thanks, and am perfectly capable of determining when and how I want the screen washed. I might choose to leave it because of dust on it and I don't want a scratched screen. I never saw a system make that kind of decision before.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RED3VIL View Post
    For those involved in motorsports this is going to be an issue
    As for the average joe though, its good to see they are taken safety measures etc
    If it's a manual, then associating the clutch with the brake override should solve that issue? i.e. toeing to downshift would not necessarily be effected. If clutch is in, there's no requirement for a brake override of the throttle?

It seems to me that this is a pre-emptive response to concerns over the cruise missile events that toyota is currently wearing the flack for. So manufacturers are doing something to assure the market that this will not happen with their vehicles.
    Last edited by Nexus; 10-03-2010 at 06:39 PM.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.