User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Downpipe!

Congrats Shins!! Told you the car will sound like an angry mongrel HAHA

Welcome to the CorkSport Club!

When are we going for a squirt? You might be able to catch me now!

Couldn't agree with you more... re the MPS Garage boys, they are on a good thing!

Blog Entries

I think you have 2 significant mods that I do not have....yet...

Roni is comming up in a week or two-that would be a good time to have that squirt?

4. Default

That was my wife's car, if I had one of my others here. I think it mite of scared you a bit, shame their off the road at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by AMV8 View Post
    yes i spoke to Daniel from MPS garage on their dyno day...very interesting went for a spin in Aarons car with the whole FMIC set up ....will definitely getting them to organise my mods

Blog Entries

What are they? Do tell...

Quote Originally Posted by shinslinger66 View Post
    OK...finally got my car back with the downpipe installed...this car is a ****ing beast!

What a transition this mod has made...it sounds totally animal now and goes so much better...very happy!

They took 9 hours to install and they wanted to charge me $1065! I advised them I was quoted elsewhere $550 for the install by experienced Mazda Modding Techs and they matched that price after speaking with the manager...

This thing rocks...

so with the corksport catback and the downpipe if i may ask how much did it all cost you,i know nothing about thius stuff but i been doing some research on the posts and from what i get the cpe is the shizzle,anyone know how much it would cost to get the cpe catback and the downpipe,and is it essential to get the downpipe,what difference does it make,forgive my ignorance lol:thanks:

Blog Entries

Luckily you are in Sydney- you can get the products and install from mpsgarage who and on this forum.

The big question now is: smoke?

Blog Entries

OK...got the CEL today...no smoke yet that i can see...or that any mates following me has told me about...

10. Default

On the CORKSPORT dp they should have installed the 2nd O2 sensor spacer, which moves it eliminating the CEL light.
    As for the smoking we do have a large capacity hi flow cat which mounts in the standard spot. Mazda's run 2 cat's when one's removed the other can't handle the load of waste causing smoke. The other cause is now the engine is flowing faster & spooling up quicker, There's a larger load on the turbo seals.One eye drop of oil will cause large amounts of smoke. The turbo issue Mazda know's about, its was recall every where but down here in Aust.

Quote Originally Posted by nath_2106 View Post
    so with the corksport catback and the downpipe if i may ask how much did it all cost you,i know nothing about thius stuff but i been doing some research on the posts and from what i get the cpe is the shizzle,anyone know how much it would cost to get the cpe catback and the downpipe,and is it essential to get the downpipe,what difference does it make,forgive my ignorance lol:thanks:
    I think shinslinger66 was quoted $550 for a full Turbo back system from one of MPS Garages partnered installers.

It looks like your's is a MPS 3, so I would imagine it would be the same or less because you only have to hook up one muffler!

The main difference from what I can gather is the quality and the CPE downpipe comes with a high flow cat. But i'm happy with my CorkSport System.. works a treat!
    CorkSport FMIC with Cold Air Induction, , Cork Sport Cat Back, CPE Standback with PNP, TurboSmart BOV, Custom Highflow Cat with CorkSports Downpipe,Pauter Rods, CP Pistons,ARP Head Studs, BIGGER TURBO COMING, Pre-ordered a Stage 3 CPE Engine.

12. Default

Hi Guys,

Also a newb to the forum. I have just got Aaron (MPS Garage) to supply me some rotors, and pads. Thanks for that. Had them fitted at Tunehouse, who were very friendly, helpful etc.
    It appears that the exhaust is next on the list, I've got to say I've found; catback, turbo back, downpipe, and dumppipe all to be a little confusing (the first two I get, where the others fit in has got me scratching my head).
    If someone has some advice on what to go for here I'm all ears, I'm presuming doing 'anything' is going to cost $500+ and presumably doing 'the lot' couldn't be more than $1500? (*he says cringing, with just one eye half open squinting at the screen*).
    Is it worth doing 'half a job'?
    Not that money is no object, but I guess this is where advice and experience come into it.
    And to throw one more curly one in: I do want to keep my car a bit of a sleeper, I'm not really into the thumping /droning/ drawing attention thing.

Thanks in advance!

I'll assume you're asking about the MPS6.

The down pipe which you've just read 3 pages about I think gives a bigger power gain than a cat back. Picking through the bullshit from various suppliers it seems a DP can yield around 15-25 kw and a cat back around 10-20 kw.

You can read extensively about cat backs on the MPS. They all seem to cause droning, which is an inherent characteristic of an in-line four cylinder, and most people find they're too loud.

Tunehouse do a cat back, which I've listened to and been in and it doesn't seem to drone. But it's $2k.

Don't let anyone tell you the stock mufflers are crap. They flow quite well and only rob about 4kw. They also do something that no after market muffler can do - they eliminate droning. The two mufflers together have a cross sectional area greater than a single 2.5 inch so there's not much restriction there.

The big restriction in the stock exhaust is the t-piece which robs about 14kw.

If you don't want the noise of a cat-back and you don't want to spend big on a DP, my advice is to replace the mid pipe with a 3 inch pipe into a low angle merge collector going out to 2.5 inch mandrel bent curves that step down to meet the flanges on the stock mufflers. Done properly, this has been proven to return the 14kw the t-piece robs and causes no noise issues. It should also be cheaper than a full cat-back because you're not spending on new mufflers and you'll only be about 4kw behind.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    If you don't want the noise of a cat-back and you don't want to spend big on a DP, my advice is to replace the mid pipe with a 3 inch pipe into a low angle merge collector going out to 2.5 inch mandrel bent curves that step down to meet the flanges on the stock mufflers. Done properly, this has been proven to return the 14kw the t-piece robs and causes no noise issues. It should also be cheaper than a full cat-back because you're not spending on new mufflers and you'll only be about 4kw behind.
    kmh, I guess this can only be achieved by custom made mid pipe? Where is a good place to have custom made 3" mid pipe?
    GROM iPod & Bluetooth car kit, ETS TMIC, HKS BOV, AEM CAI, Denso ITV-22's, CPE down pipe, Custom Exhaust tip, Hypertech tuned, Bilstein shocks with King Spring, CPE engine mount, CPE rear diff mount, Whiteline rear sway bar, EBC redstuff brake pad, DBA 4000 front slotted rotors, Prosport Boost gauge, JBarone Short Shift Plate

Mate that's a good question. The problem with custom exhausts is that you tend to get something that's easy to fabricate, not something that works well as it should. I haven't done this mod yet because I don't know anyone in NSW who could make it to the correct specification.

There was a fellow who used to make megaphones for me years ago. He was a master craftsman with exhausts but I lost touch and I think he retired. Perhaps I should try and track him down.

Do you think the CS catback mid pipe is a good Y piece? Looks more like a T piece IMO.

I attempted to install a CP-E downpipe today.. but i got to the bit where i have to access the 5 nuts bolted to the turbo...... and couldnt find a way to access them( miainly the 2 furthest right ones looking from the driver side).. can someone confirm it is possible to remove the stock downpipe without removing the exhaust manifold/turbo. This is a 07 mazda 3 mps.

P.S. I know all the guides and instruction pdf's out on the net say, you dont have to remove it, but does anyone who actually did the install themselves know if its true?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123