User Tag List

Thread: Potential 3 MPS owner/enthusiast

Default Potential 3 MPS owner/enthusiast

Hey,

First post

I'm seriously considering purchasing a second-hand 3 MPS.

I'm now working full-time and can afford to spend a bit extra than say 12 months ago so now is the time..

I've been looking around and I've narrowed it down to the 2006 or 2007 3 MPS. I have a few questions regarding these cars:

1) How much should I pay? I would prefer it if the car had under 50,000km
    2) When looking at a MPS, taking it for a drive etc, what should I be looking for? I'm not too familiar with the MPS at this stage so suggestions are welcome. Are there any common faults?
    3) What have people found re fuel consumption?
    4) I will be looking at improving performance at some stage. Probably not straight-away. I wouldn't know exactly what should be done - who should I see regarding performance upgrades (in Melb)?
    5) What are the best bang for buck mods? Will fuel consumption increase a lot?

Thanks

Chris

I don't know about the answers to your specific questions but I think one way to ensure you're buying a car which has been loved and cared for and possibly already had some mods done is to buy from someone selling through these forums...take a look in the for sale section.

Chris welcome to the forums.

Give FrankieMPS a pm as hes looking at selling his MPS. 2006, im pretty sure under 50k kms and has a few mods already (and has original parts included). very tidy and looked after (hes a mechanic for a competitior brand) but selling as he's got bikes and wants to chuck them in the back of a ute rather then fitting a tow bar to the MPS. enough souding like a salesman

fuel consumption - depends how heavy your foot is, if your conservative you should easily reach 500km a tank (50l capacity i think).

nothing really jumps out i think for the test drive, just make sure it drives straight and no strange sounds on bumps

Welcome, and to echo above I'd grab one from someone on here as a first preference to something random. Any niggles should/would have been sorted and you may get some free go fast bits too.

Well as an owner of a 2006 model...

And after 130000kms..

All i can say is ....if you treat it right..it will last forever.

My fuel consumption is in my signature..

Depends really how you drive it...highway driving will bring great figures....short squirts and go fast runs...not so good but thats the same with all cars.

Only real problems....is suspension creaks...change your oil every 5000kms and you will have no problems.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Thanks everyone for your help

hey chris welcome to the forum. good luck on your mission to purchase an mps. u wont regret it

I somehow stuffed up the thread title.... should read "3 MPS".

Hey Chris,

I fixed your title mate, unless you'd like it to say 2MPS

Welcome mate and good hunting for your MPS
    Cheers
    Chris (another one!)

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Hey Chris,

I fixed your title mate, unless you'd like it to say 2MPS

Welcome mate and good hunting for your MPS
    Cheers
    Chris (another one!)
    Thanks for that.

Cool Mps rehab for turbo junkies u can checkout but u can never leave!!!!

ToOZMPSClub enjoy

Col

Another question.... what's the difference between the sports version and regular version (generation 1).

I think leather seats and BOSE sound system? There would be other differences probably.

headlights/washers,shiny alloys

welcome

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chris387 View Post
    Hey,
    :

1) How much should I pay? I would prefer it if the car had under 50,000km
    2) When looking at a MPS, taking it for a drive etc, what should I be looking for? I'm not too familiar with the MPS at this stage so suggestions are welcome. Are there any common faults?
    3) What have people found re fuel consumption?
    4) I will be looking at improving performance at some stage. Probably not straight-away. I wouldn't know exactly what should be done - who should I see regarding performance upgrades (in Melb)?
    5) What are the best bang for buck mods? Will fuel consumption increase a lot?
    Hi Chris. I am a new MPS owner as well (my first Mazda). Here's my comments on your questions.
    1) If luxury model ~$25k
    2) Smooth turbo kick in. Transmission should be tights, no smoke.
    3) 10 per 100
    4) No point. The car cant put down the existing power, unless your looking for all out top speed. You taking it to the track?
    5) SRI or CAI would be best.