User Tag List

Thread: which mazda 6 MPS do i have?

Default which mazda 6 MPS do i have?

sorry for hte noob question...but im just curious...
    how many diffrent version of the MPS6 did mazda release?

i purchased a 2006 model (apparently...i suspect it could be 05 model but licensed 06)
    but im not sure if its a Series I and GG or whatever other symbols they came out with

is there any particular way to tell?? without openning the bonnet (as im not near my car at the momment)

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    sorry for hte noob question...but im just curious...
    how many diffrent version of the MPS6 did mazda release?

i purchased a 2006 model (apparently...i suspect it could be 05 model but licensed 06)
    but im not sure if its a Series I and GG or whatever other symbols they came out with

is there any particular way to tell?? without openning the bonnet (as im not near my car at the momment)
    I thought they were all GG Series 2?

From memory on standard 6's the rear lights changed between Series 1 and Series 2.

There's 2 MPS's, ones with leather and ones without. The ones with leather have sunroof and premium bose stereo.

I've got a 2006 Series 2 MPS6, my mates got the same car (same colour even) which is a 2005 MPS6. We've noticed a couple of revisions made to the 2006 model, so yeah I think there is a slight difference.

The 2005 model has a cover under the engine, my 2006 does not (someone could have forgot to put it back on though?) and the cast iron pipework where the BOV is mounted is a different shape. My BOV sits more 90º my mates 05 MPS sits more-a-less 45º to the block.

There was quite a few changes on the standard 6 between 05 and 06. They made it a 6spd, changed the lights (front and rear) the grille, the dash to piano black, also the wheels and spoiler

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

5. Default

the engine cover should still be on your car mate no difference really Johnny ... might be one thing the later models might play MP3 on the stereo where as 2005 defiantely doesnt

And I thought you could see which year model yours is by checking the compliance plate in your engine bay

lol!!

yeah i have no access to car at momment to check in engine bay

mine is 6speed manual...has 6 stacker but no mp3 logo(havent tried to play mp3 stereo yet)

the plastice pannels are grey marbley type finish.

guess i just have to wait to open bonnet up.

on another note...what does "GG" stand for?

As Rogwick said the pipe that runs between the intercooler and the intake manifold is slightly different (nothing major) and the series 2 plays MP3's... That's all I can think of.

Sounds like its a series one if it doesn't have a MP3 Logo

9. Default

there is no series 1 series 2 etc etc, if you cant play MP3's sounds like you have a 2005 they are all 6 speed manual, all have same dash trim, all have 6 stacker ... youve either got a 2005, 2006 or 2007 model

thanks for clearing all that up. i looked at about 9 mps6 before i picked mine, could really tell any diffrence between them.

anways i checked under the bonnet (an i now know where all the important stuff is) and can confirm that i have ae DEC 05 build.

i missed out on the mp3...ill have to look at getting one of the carxlink thinggys...but cant seem to find any place in oz that stocks them apart from ebay.
    any one know of any sites?

2005-2007 MPS6 are all the essentially same except for the very minor mods already referred to above. There were only two versions offered each year, the options being either velour trim or (leather trim + Bose stereo + moon-roof). You should have the under-pan shroud. Some twit has left it off. It helps control airflow into the engine bay and under the car, reduces form drag and keeps your engine clean. I could care less about whether mine has or hasn't got MP3. I prefer the sound of an engine on-song.

12. Default

Is there a difference with the headlights or are they all the same on the 6 MPS