User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil catchcan Gen 1 mps3

Default oil catchcan Gen 1 mps3

Hi everyone,

jus thinking about an oil catch can alot lately and was jus wondering if any1 can help me with some info?

prices? how to fit, easy or time consuming?

fitting instructions maybe or some direction if ther has been threads created on this topic befor, coz i havnt had much luck finding any.

benefits and how they work etc.

does it replace the PCV valve or does it still use the stock one.

Thanks, KARL

I'm no expert on this so someone please correct me if i'm wrong. There are two breather lines coming from the valve cover, one goes to the intake manifold (through the PCV vlave) and the other goes to your air intake pipe. An oil catch can can be installed in series with either or both of these lines. Its purpose is to extract the oil and other waste products from the blow by gasses and prevent them from being recirculated back into your engine. If the oil in the blow by gasses is not removed it will lower the octane rating of your fuel and line the insides of your intake piping and intercooler with oil and muck. I'm not sure about the installation as i have never attempted it before.

There is a few on ebay for about $65. Not sure if there is much difference between an ebay OCC and a brand name one.

You will still need the PCV valve as this stops boost pressure from the manifold entering the crank case.

The attached PDF is a bit long but has a lot of info.

Hope this helped
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Toddy22587; 28-02-2010 at 01:30 AM.

Nice find on the article.

I had one fitted for Jamboree. I didn't notice any difference in intake oil etc. I've since removed it.

An OCC is only really any good if you are starting to have oil concerns. A decent/excellent PCV is the main issue.

If you do decide to get an OCC, make sure it has internal baffles. An open internal one will do nothing.

Have a search for "oil catch can" (Including quotations - this will search for the whole string, not each individual word )

Here are a few results - hope it helps.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/group...ch-can-gb.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/intak...catch-can.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...y-fit-one.html

Cheers
    Justin
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

thanks heaps every1, lol yeh i didnt try putting the search in quotes

thanks for the writeup toddy helps alot

No worries... The only reason i had this information is because i've been thinking about getting a catch can myself.

well there is a person who sells complete saikou michi oil catch can kits for the mps, website is Performance Automotive Engineering - Home

currently waiting for him to give me a price on freight to australia

this kit reuses the factory pcv before the can, plus adds another factory one after the can

When he gives you a price please let me know.

Thanks

To fit an occ in the correct location, i.e from the PCV on the block, under the intake manifold is a pretty big task.
    I had a crawl around under there some time ago, and it pretty much involves working blind with your hands contorted to some amazing angles, it can be done, and has been extensively documented on some of the US forums, some have even suggested that removing the entire intake manifold, although more time consuming, makes the job a lot easier.

11. Default

well there are two locations where the OCC can be mounted, with one being easier than the other, though the easier method does not work with a CAI

hopefully it should be easier when done on a hoist, but the main issue would be getting access to the actual PCV and the associated hosing with your hands, rather than running the oil hoses

but i will definitely be getting one and installing it myself

Oil catch can's are an awesome and easy install in any engine bay, they help stop/prevent blow by, keep extra oil out of where it isn't needed.

And also good for troubleshooting engine issue's Have a look at Cols positioning (YOU LOSE) its a nice neat set up. .

Quote Originally Posted by kagerou View Post
    well there is a person who sells complete saikou michi oil catch can kits for the mps, website is Performance Automotive Engineering - Home

currently waiting for him to give me a price on freight to australia

this kit reuses the factory pcv before the can, plus adds another factory one after the can
    yeh lemme kno too mate. im keen for a GB if we get enuff interest
    --- CPe DP + Custom 3" Stainless CBE --- Turbo Timer --- CPe CAI --- Turbo XS BPV --- CPe 75 Duro Rear Engine Mount --- 2XS SSP ---

14. Default

hey guys,

got a reply from matt at pa engineering.

the cost of delivery for sydney is US$27 for USPS priority mail and $34 for USPS express mail to sydney nsw for one kit, so pricing may be slightly different for different states.

i will be ordering an option 1 kit via express mail because it has tracking.

i didnt ask him about a group buy, so will be paying US$155 for the kit
    Last edited by kagerou; 09-03-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks for the update

16. Default

By Far the best way to do it is first to remove the Plastic one off the block & seal it up.
    Then weld in two breather lines in each side of the head. Drain it back into the sump & have a fresh air breather as well.
    But most guys wouldn't spend that money on a oil breather system.
    I will post some photos of my motor when it closer to being finished.

Just my 2 cents

17. Default

well i finally got around to installing the pae engineering oil catch can option 1 kit on friday

did it in the garage with just a small workshop jack as all you need is just enough room to get under there, and if you have a trolley, it would make the whole process a lot easier, and comfortable

anyway, removing the original hose isnt so much of a problem, just have to be careful not to damage the plastic pcv valve. the only real issue is getting the hose onto the pcv valve, but once its on, the rest is really basic

took me about 90 minutes since i didnt want to rush, and i had to muck around with finding the right way to run the hose into the approximate location of the pcv valve so i could get it on

will empty the canister this weekend to see what it has filtered

but if anyone wants a hand installing the kit, let me know

sweet man keep us updated, maybe hook us up with an in depth guide glad u got it done, maybe stupid question but did it come wif all the stuff needed to fit?

Hey Ben,

Id be interested to see this, and pics?
    Did you mount it up top, or down below?

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 3mpsblack View Post
    sweet man keep us updated, maybe hook us up with an in depth guide glad u got it done, maybe stupid question but did it come wif all the stuff needed to fit?
    hey,

the kit includes all the hoses, hose clamps, nuts and bolts to fit the can and attach the piping

it also includes detailed instructions with pictures on what you need to remove and fit, along with how to run the hoses

it even includes zip ties to hold the spring type hose clamps down to make it easier to attach the hose to the pcv, and for securing the hoses to the engine

in other words, everything you need, and more, is included in the kit, all you need is to provide your own tools

recommended if you dont want to muck around and make up your own kit, or not sure how you want to run the hoses and attach the canister

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Hey Ben,

Id be interested to see this, and pics?
    Did you mount it up top, or down below?
    mate, considering where you live, it would be quicker for me to come around and show you then it would be for me to take photos haha

currently the canister is amounted below the intake, just under that silver metal section with that sticker that says not to touch because it may be hot

after 912km of driving, just over 700km were on the highway

thats a 600ml bottle, so at least 20ml of something

Last edited by kagerou; 13-04-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast