User Tag List

Thread: NSW: Harsher Penalties Under Consideration For High-Speed Pursuit Offenders

Default NSW: Harsher Penalties Under Consideration For High-Speed Pursuit Offenders

NSW PREMIER Kristina Keneally said this week that she is considering introducing harsher penalties for high-speed pursuit offenders.

Under current laws, drivers who fail to stop for police face a maximum jail sentence of 12 months. Ms Keneally said that a more powerful deterrent is needed. If enacted, the new laws could see offenders jailed for three to five years, regardless of the pursuit's outcome or whether anyone is hurt.

NSW Attorney General John Hatzistergos said the law would be similar to existing legislation in Queensland and South Australia.

"The evidence that we have is that it certainly has been effective in other jurisdictions - there's been drop off, particularly in Queensland in recent times, quite a significant one, and whether it's due to that law or a greater awareness of road safety is difficult to be able to judge," Mr Hatzistergos told the ABC.

"But in any event, the most recent statistics show there has been a significant drop off there."

The news comes after a New Year's Eve chase saw two-year-old Skye Sassine killed when two alleged robbers collided with the back of her family's car during a police pursuit in Ingleburn.

Ms Keneally said the new legislation would be known as Skye's law, in recognition of her passing.

In response to claims that the new laws would do nothing to deter offenders, New South Wales Police Association President Scott Weber said that simply banning police from pursuing offenders on the road would be unreasonable.

"Being a serving police officer and being out on the road there for 15 years and speaking to the highway patrol officers that go day in, day out, trying to enforce our traffic laws, they know as soon as you do that, and there's no punishment in regards to speeding away from police, or to committing a minor speeding offence, or going through a red light, it's just open slather," he said.

Ms Keneally will introduce the laws to parliament this month. Opposition Leader Barry O'Farrell said the coalition will back the changes when introduced.

"Today's announcement is welcome," Mr O'Farrell told AAP.

"It's worth reminding people that this proposal originated with a former highway patrolman in (opposition police spokesman) Mike Gallacher," he said.

"Frankly, the acceptance of Mike Gallacher's idea today is state politics as it ought to work."

[Source: TMR]
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Go for it I welcome it...

Me too - good idea.

Those oldies on the forum - Have you noticed that generally drivers are now slower than 20 years ago? (excuse the term of endearment).

When I first moved from Sydney to Central West NSW everyone, including myself drove at around 130 kph on open country roads. It is fairly noticable that most drive at the speed limit now - even a few K's slower (probably due to common speedo error).

It's funny now driving in Sydney, I am used to a 50kph limit through country towns - in Sydney I get overtaken by everybody.

Blog Entries

Will be interesting to see if it actually works...if people want to speed they will, there is no "ifs" or "butts" about it.

I honestly think they need to start showing some of the results of speeding to new drivers, show them some of the accidents and victims of what happens when you drive like a tool...that certainly slowed me up a bit, having a mate who's dad is a accident investigation officer and seeing some of those photos and hearing the stories definatly shocks the system a bit.

Problem is a lot of young people just have no respect or common sence, they would just see it as a joke and not care "that won't happen to me"
    but I agree, shock factor, though it won't work for everybody, will work for some, and that's better than none at all.
    But in today's world of political correctness there is no way anything like that will happen

I remember my old boss telling me that when he was a kid he was picked up by the police and taken to the morgue. Slowed him down

Good on em, about time they stand up

Why does everyone automatically think it is young people all the time?

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUNG PEOPLE!!! This has to do with people EVADING POLICE!

This is a good deterrent for would be thieves and getaway drivers etc. It Won't stop young people from killing themselves on the road.

What will REDUCE the number of YOUNG deaths on the road is more easily/readily accessible motorsports venues to drive thier cars fast in safe condiitons. I know i would gladly pay 200 bucks for 2 hours to fang my car around a track, as would so many others.

Speeding criminals need to be deterred from high speed chases and this is a very good move.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MPShiv View Post

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUNG PEOPLE!!! This has to do with people EVADING POLICE!

This is a good deterrent for would be thieves and getaway drivers etc. It Won't stop young people from killing themselves on the road.

What will REDUCE the number of YOUNG deaths on the road is more easily/readily accessible motorsports venues to drive thier cars fast in safe condiitons. I know i would gladly pay 200 bucks for 2 hours to fang my car around a track, as would so many others.

Speeding criminals need to be deterred from high speed chases and this is a very good move.
    Because prevention is better than a cure...better to get younger drivers and get them on a good driving road, bad pun I know, and not have them turn into what they are now trying to stop.

Like I said before...if people are going to speed and avoid cops they are going to do it no matter what.
    Not Gone...just "busy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino
    It's not blue screen of death Kent, it's Auora Blue screen of death

im all for this...ive seen about 3 times a few young drivers and im talking about 18-25yr olds still on their p's and theyve tried to outrun a cop. they are just digging themselves an even bigger hole by doing it. just stop take wat the cop gives them on the chin which wont really be that much in comparison if they try outrun them and get along with your lives instead of making it worse for themselves and putting themselves out of pocket by paying for court fees and even spending time in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by MPShiv View Post

Im with you there, harsher penalties for people who fail to stop, full stop.

Drama anyone
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

F&%K YEAH bout bloody time!!!
    This is not targeting speeding drivers just people who think they can out run the coppers. IF you run from the coppers you deserve everything that comes, so many bystanders and innocent people are killed by loosers that think they can out run the coppers..... if you have nothing to hide dont run!

Min 5yrs goal for people who fail to stop...and i dont care what their excuse is!

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    Because prevention is better than a cure...better to get younger drivers and get them on a good driving road, bad pun I know, and not have them turn into what they are now trying to stop.

Like I said before...if people are going to speed and avoid cops they are going to do it no matter what.
    That comment is a false interpretation of my point. Young people on the whole are NOT going to evade the cops. It is going to be criminals with something to lose and nothing to gain!! A young speeder is going to face the fines of speeding with little to no hassles. A thief with a prior conviction is going to evade the cops and kill lil miss/mr bystander with no worries at all regardless of age. This particular instance had NOTHING to do with P platers what so ever!!'

Prevention is certainly better than a cure. So lets get kids wrecking their 180sx's in a gravel trap rather than a power pole!! Lets get mps's over steering into a curb rather than an outlying tree!

FFS stop treating EVERY <25 yr old like a kid and give them a chance to mature in a safe environment. stop sutpid laws impinging on social behavior and rather start nurturing a love of safe motor sport fun.

Blog Entries

Sorry I probably did stray out of your comment, I just get rather annoyed as you do. They pidgeon hole anyone under 30 pretty much and assume we are all hoones but then don't give you an outlet to actually do what we want to do.

And they wonder why people speed and want to race when one of the countries largest watched sports is motorsport.

Smile Very good point !!!

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    Sorry I probably did stray out of your comment, I just get rather annoyed as you do. They pidgeon hole anyone under 30 pretty much and assume we are all hoones but then don't give you an outlet to actually do what we want to do.

And they wonder why people speed and want to race when one of the countries largest watched sports is motorsport.
    Well said hoons don,t usually try to out run police as stated it is criminals that try to get away from police they have much more to loose and a hoon can be any age I have some advise no matter how quick you car is it is slower than radio waves ,the two way always wins as a Innisfail Skyline GTR driver found out the hard way $3K fine and 4yr loss of licence . I all so agree that their is a shortage of venues for us enthusiast's but you guys at least have proper racing circuits in capital city's my suggestion to you guys is to take up kart racing or organise groups to hire kart venues gets rid of some of the adrenalin & frustration and its fun in a safe environment.
    Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

15. Default

Seems this topic has taken a few twists and turns. Here's my 2 cents worth:

Firstly, I do agree with harsher penalties for people trying to outrun the police. They are knob jockeys who deserve to have the book thrown at them.

However, some have raised the tired old subject of "speeding kills" blah blah blah etc etc and this is a subject that gets my blood boiling.

We sheeple have become so accepting of the media fed line on speeding that we fail to look beneath the surface at the real road statistics.

For instance, the Christmas road toll was fairly nasty this year. We saw state based police commissioners fronting frothing media pits hammering away the good ole message on slowing down and expressing their disgust at the resulting rate of death over the holidays.

The real facts relating to the cause of 90% of the Xmas accidents were directly attributed to fatigue and driver error at our rather pedestrian national speed limits or even less in some instances.

THE MESSAGE ON SPEEDING IS FORCED UPON US TO JUSTIFY WHAT IS ESSENTIALLY ANOTHER GOVERNMENT TAX - SPEEDING FINES.

Statistic from the US where the Dakota speed limit was increased from 55 MPH to 75MPH (approx 120kph) showed that the road toll actually significantly reduced. Dakota has a lot of distance between destinations (like Australia) and the lowering of arrival times coupled with the extra alertness that faster rates of travel cause in drivers had a definite positive impact.

In the Northern Territory where the limit was reduced from open speeds to 130kph, the death toll rose sharply. Fatigue, fatigue, fatigue.

There is talk of major highways like the Hume moving to a maximum posted limit of 90kph. Why? MORE REVENUE OPPORTUNITIES!

Our highways and freeways are getting better. The focus should be on driver education relating to driving to the conditions and strong consideration needs to be given to INCREASING the limits to reduce time on the road rather than decreasing them.

Seems so simple to me but there is never a collective voice pushing back against the draconian government who already blood suck the tax payer, even though they never invest YOUR money in worthwhile public infrastructure and then they justify putting their shaft in your chocolate starfish for a double dip in traffic infringements that don't reduce the road toll.

Interesting blog link here: http://www.delonixradar.com.au/blog/...arold-scrubby/
    Last edited by MPS 250 PLUS; 05-03-2010 at 08:03 AM.