User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leather care

Any further advice on good car leather care products?

This is a new experience for me (new car) and the products available from our sponsors are different to those listed here 2 years ago.

Thanks!

Hi countrychic

Take a look at Optimum Protectant Plus https://www.zas.com.au/product/432/o...lus_504ml.html

The finish on this product is a nice satin look that keep the surface looking "new" rather than an unnatural glossy finish that some others produce. It also has a new car smell to it which people like.

The great thing about Protectant Plus is that you can use the one product to clean and dress all surfaces like dashboard, plastic and vinyl trim rather than having separate products for different surfaces.

That is an awesome price too... @ZAS is it really as easy to apply and use as it sounds?

Quote Originally Posted by RADAZ6 View Post
    That is an awesome price too... @ZAS is it really as easy to apply and use as it sounds?
    Just spray on, wipe off. Can't possibly get any easier!

Quote Originally Posted by ZAS View Post
    Just spray on, wipe off. Can't possibly get any easier!
    is this suitable to use on external plastics as well? Not talking about the headlight poly but more the black plastic trims

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    is this suitable to use on external plastics as well? Not talking about the headlight poly but more the black plastic trims
    Absolutely unpainted plastic comes up nicely

Quote Originally Posted by countrychic View Post
    Any further advice on good car leather care products?
    After tripping around the world a few times via internet search, I came up with so many contradictory 'pieces of advice, evidence, etc' that I went back to the car manual. That says I just have to use a leather care product. SUPER!

While visiting a relative I nabbed their Oakwoods Leather Care Wipes (to clean) and Oakwoods Leather Hydrating Cream (to ... condition!) and tried it out on one seat. The leather conditioner gunked up the perforated holes in the seat cushion (I have a 2015 model Mazda) but otherwise it maintained the satin finish of the leather. Oakwoods uses 'natural oils and waxes'.

Then I tried out the IKEA Absorb LeatherCare Set on the remaining seats. The cleaner is 'soap and water', the conditioner is 'paraffin oil', ie 'mineral oil'. This suspension did not clog up the holes in the seat. But I think I can now tell which parts of the seat are the fake-leather. They went kinda streaky before I buffed them, presumably because fake leather cannot absorb oil.

Neither can violate the Mazda warranty as both are leather care products. Both say they protect against UV. The IKEA Absorb product did remove a bit of colour with the conditioner, noticeable on the cloth, rather than the black leather. I will give them 3-6 more months and see if I notice any difference between the treated seats.

Everyday Leather Wipes – Oakwood Household Product Range
    Leather Care Hydrating Cream – Oakwood Household Product Range
    ABSORB Leathercare set - IKEA

Edited to add - I am not recommending the IKEA stuff. Whether the cleaner or the conditioner, one left the black leather with white streaks 24 hours after curing. I ran over the seats again with the Oakwood everyday wipes which cleaned it up.
    Last edited by countrychic; 25-01-2015 at 09:19 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123