User Tag List

Thread: MPS 3 Gen II Clutch Friction point moving?

Default MPS 3 Gen II Clutch Friction point moving?

Hi all
    My 09 3 MPS is about a week old now and I may be imagining it but it seems like the friction point is progressively moving further out? The demo car I drove and when I picked up the car new I remember the friction point was like an inch or so off the ground. Now it feels like it's around 2-2.5 inches out. It's done just under 400km total so far, obviously I'll get it checked out around 1000km service but is this normal?

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Have you actually measured it to make sure its the clutch pedal moving itself?

Better to double check before you take it to Mazda and then they say it hasn't moved.

If it has moved I would imagine it might be the car settling in but I can't say I have heard this before.

Well the clutch pedal seems to be in the same place. Haven't measured it but it's just the feeling that I'm releasing noticeably more from what I remember just last week before I get anything. It's due in 600km for the first 1000 check up anyway but yeah was just wondering if that was normal settling in. Apart from that the car is running fine. Just adapting to the new friction point! See what mazda says when I take it in I guess.

Hey mate, updated the title of the thread to reflect the nature and moved to Tech Talk

Leelu? was also recently commenting on similar in their intro thread.

Maybe try and get another MPS to drive or get someone else with MPS to drive yours

The friction point has progressed more inthe last few days and is now at the top of the clutch. The clutch I assume is now slipping as it is losing power and 3rd gear revving to 5k gets me to about 60km/hr? Service booked in to Mazda on Monday. 490km on the odo. Pretty sure the clutch is shot now pretty much been driving around like I'm riding the clutch?

Sounds like a worn clutch,what did mazda say?

Quote Originally Posted by hng View Post
    Hi all
    My 09 3 MPS is about a week old now and I may be imagining it but it seems like the friction point is progressively moving further out? The demo car I drove and when I picked up the car new I remember the friction point was like an inch or so off the ground. Now it feels like it's around 2-2.5 inches out. It's done just under 400km total so far, obviously I'll get it checked out around 1000km service but is this normal?

Thanks.
    Hi,

I have had this exact problem with mine. It's a December build and has done just over 4,000kms. The friction point on mine definitely changed. I can pinpoint the exact day it happened and thought it definitely didn't feel right.

I took it in 2 weeks ago to get it checked out and was told everything was normal. I have had to change the way I drive the car and am definitely not as smooth on the gear changes as I was and I also feel like I'm riding the clutch a lot.

I am interested to hear what they tell you. I have also just spoken with my sales guy, who used to be a mechanic. I actually meant to ask him about this and didn't get around to it. His advice was that the new Mazdas have a progressive clutch pressure plate. They have built them now with a sliding pressure plate that compensates for the clutch wearing. I'm wondering though why more of us haven't experienced this if it is "normal"??
    Last edited by Leelu; 02-03-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Futher info

Surprised that your clutch wore out so fast, that is very quick.

With my Gen 2 I did notice that the take up position on the clutch is very changeable, and seems to move around a bit.

Was a rather odd feeling.

...I've got a GenII with 6,000km on the clock and not noticed this.

Maybe I don't have a sensitive foot.

Then again, I can deffo tell the clutch difference getting into my housemates SP25 over my MPS...

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanDan View Post
    ...I've got a GenII with 6,000km on the clock and not noticed this.

Maybe I don't have a sensitive foot.

Then again, I can deffo tell the clutch difference getting into my housemates SP25 over my MPS...
    I hear you there! I drove my flatmates 2004 Mazda 3 Maxx Sport the other night and felt like a learner driver! The gearstick felt so far away too!

15000 KM on my clutch and it is fine and dandy. I don't think you have worn out the clutch perse, maye something wrong with the clutch springs inside??

Hey guys
    Mazda took a look today and did the 1000km service with 490km on the clock. The verdict: it's normal.
    They said new mazda's will adapt to a new friction point and there's nothing wrong. I am really skeptical about it still though but will pick it up later and see how it feels. It had definitely moved at least a foot and I am very surprised that amount of movement is 'normal'.

"With my Gen 2 I did notice that the take up position on the clutch is very changeable, and seems to move around a bit."
    That doesn't sound like fun considering I get quite natural with my car and don't like to think about how much to move my left foot each time, but rather just do it!
    Like when this first started happening I kept rolling backwards and absolutely baffled what was going on with my driving I didn't notice the friction point move until I thought about it.

But then again if it's normal I must have been absolutely dreaming that it was losing power. My mate said maybe they fixed it and didn't wanna say something was wrong =O