User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turbo lag?

Default turbo lag?

hey guys, have made the decision to get an mps 3 against all logic that's telling me I need to get a commercial vehicle...but i can't help myself. I have to have one.

Will be buying privately to try and save a few dollars and just have a quick question about turbo lag, test drove an 06 mps3 a few weeks back and it nearly ripped my arms off torque steered to the left in first, then ripped hard to the right when i snatched 2nd (loved it) and just kept trucking without any delay after the gear changes no lag or hesitation..

Drove another one yesterday and it was a completely different animal, didn't seem to torque steer at all and there was a little bit of delay from the turbo after changing gears, very noticeable in 3rd, shifting out of 2nd at 6k into 3rd into what seemed like 1-2 second delay (really noticeable compared to the first one i drove) before it was back on boost and steaming ahead again.

The first one i drove i had 1 passenger and the 2nd one i had a full car

This is the car I want so i guess im wondering is this lag between gears and less furious torque steer in the 2nd car purely because of the extra weight on board?? or could there be something wrong with the turbo? I have head from another mps owner that mazda has an update version of the ecu map that may be updated onto some cars at servicing, maybe this could have something to do with it?

really keen on this car but just want to make sure its all normal any help would be much appreciated, cheers !
    Last edited by kpmcs; 25-02-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Personally I notice a difference with just one passenger onboard sometimes. I'd go for another drive in it by yourself to see + there could be other factors involved. The first car might have been filled with premium and the second regular unleaded? Air temperature difference may be a small factor. Did either car have any mods that you know of?

thanks for the feedback mate, taking it for another spin by myself would probably answer my questions, just a fair drive and didnt want to go all the way back without coming home with it or waste the owners time. but i guess i should!

cheers for the pointer on fuel i didn't think of that so might quiz her about that too, car definatly is'nt modified, 1st one might have been but doubt it it was dealer used..

The computer firmware version could be a factor as well. Mazda 'upgraded' mine last time it was there which made it *feel* much less aggressive.

Dunno about a 2 second delay shifting from 6k though... You'll want to shift before 6k most of the time anyway as after 5500 theres nooooo poooowwwaaaa

I know exactly what you mean, its not the instant hit of boost when the clutch is let out.

I still dont know if its the electronic throttle easing the power back in, protecting some of the engine mounts, or simple turbo lag.

Considering the relative size of the factory turbo, but compared to a friends evo (i know, different car, different turbo although less displacement) that has a cable accelerator, I'm leaning towards ecu.

yeah cheers VGP those are probably the words i was looking for, no instant hit of boost when the clutch is let out.. not as if the turbo has to spool up again.. probably is the 'upgraded' ecu easing the power back in to dull the effect of torque 'ripping' the car side to side after a change under hard acceleration, if thats the case how the hell do we get mazda to put it back the way it was!!

Lag lol the lag is minimal that I have noticed but as tim said try another one Torque steer is something you get with a FWD with a bit of power at the wheels but its fun . .

kpmcs, good hunting for your MPS, you'll love it once you get it

hey fellas im not having much luck so im appealing to anyone on the coast who want's to volunteer a joy ride lol (you can drive, ill get out of it what i need to know from the passenger seat) in an stock 06 mps so i can compare notes???

Quote Originally Posted by kpmcs View Post
    hey fellas im not having much luck so im appealing to anyone on the coast who want's to volunteer a joy ride lol (you can drive, ill get out of it what i need to know from the passenger seat) in an stock 06 mps so i can compare notes???
    I'm on the coast and just bought an MPS maybe I could help if I have some time.

SOLVED! spoke to friend of a friend who turned out mazda service rep for a couple of dealerships in Brisbane and he confirmed the lag between gears is the updated ECU map, which changes the power curve and the way its delivered to try and combat the torque steer, its just done as part of routine servicing apparently, yet to find out when it was actually released but once its been upgraded by mazda there's apparently no going back unfortunately.

Obviously affecting some cars (namely the ones with "full service history") and not others...
    Last edited by kpmcs; 26-02-2010 at 09:40 AM.

That's rubbish hey. They could ask people if they want the upgrade. We all love torque steer here right?

I personally love it. 2nd gear, shift into 3rd and you're punching on with the steering wheel.

Can always go for something like an XEDE or similar ECU flash (all though the XEDE is a piggybacker if I remember right..) to fix that problem. Also gain more power... But is a bit lame that you have to do that to fix something that shouldn't be messed around with

I had queried mazda on this previously but they denied any knowledge...Interesting

yeah apparently chiptorque have a cure, but obviously thats gonna cost money you shouldnt have to spend, then again the cars arent actually any slower or producing any less power on the new tune just a bit more civilized in its delivery which makes it seem a little less fun, personally i liked getting my arms ripped off

The "new" tune is because the excessive torque delivery breaks mounts. The updates are to combat to failure rate.

I was informed that, If I wanted to keep my warranty, I would need the update. No update, No warranty, straight from the Service Manager.

Tempratures make quite a difference to performance. If you have been driving around, stop, start, quite a bit they become quite laggy (so to speak) just like most turbo cars. Which makes it very difficult to compare two cars on different days.
    Like most of us, you will get used to the torque steer very quickly, i now really only notice it when accelerating hard on a rough road.

Interesting that Mazda may be finally admitting to what the ecu updates are doing. According to my service book, Mazda has only touched mine for its first service. The rest by another mechanic, and now i do all my own services. The only other possible time it could have been touched is when it was traded in, but there is no service history of that

Good luck with your purchase, they are a great fun car
    Last edited by bd581; 28-02-2010 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    The "new" tune is because the excessive torque delivery breaks mounts. The updates are to combat to failure rate.

I was informed that, If I wanted to keep my warranty, I would need the update. No update, No warranty, straight from the Service Manager.
    Yep ive heard the mount reasoning before, presumably because of the lash snatching the next gear causes under full pelt - in this case would also be affecting the beloved "chrips" between changes, but as has been said before mazda should have updated the mount, NOT the torque delivery.. i dont think its right to be selling one set of performance figures then just go changing them, quite obviously its they've taken the cheap way out

car i noticed it on was driven straight to an area where it could be opened up so temperature should not have been a factor that time around, if youve had your car services elsewhere then you probably missed out on the update (unless it was traded back into an actual mazda dealer your car might have copped it then)
    Last edited by kpmcs; 28-02-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post

I guess the update is alot cheaper that the cost of R&D to make better mounts.
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast