User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illegal BoV's

Default Illegal BoV's

Hi Guys,

I have heard alot about how the atmo vented BOV's are illegal. But i see alot of WRX's and Skylines running around with them. Does any one know of anyone who has actually been pulled over for having a vented BOV?

Cheers

Chris

Whiteminx no long a go mentioned she got defected for having her Turbosmart BOV set-up atmo.

I got one as well set-up atmo, but im not letting ot go off all the time.

The Illegalness isn't the main issue here, because you are letting air out of the system that the car thinks is going into the engine, you get waaaaayyy too much fuel every time you change a gear, causing the car to pop and backfire most of the time. People get defected for having them all the time. They don't work as well as a plumb back. In fact, the only reason you'd install one would be for the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    The Illegalness isn't the main issue here, because you are letting air out of the system that the car thinks is going into the engine, you get waaaaayyy too much fuel every time you change a gear, causing the car to pop and backfire most of the time. People get defected for having them all the time. They don't work as well as a plumb back. In fact, the only reason you'd install one would be for the noise.
    you can buy a plumb back BOV which had a port on the oppisite side so you can make noise or you can put a bung in it and put the air back in the system its not real good for a car to use anything other then a plumb back if that is what they come out with stock as when you start the car or on idle not just between gears it'll fuel up much more then normal and can start causing damage to the cylinders etc by watering down the oil build up on the pistons etc causing the oil to burn and possibly for prolonged us might even cease the motor tho i've never seen that. BOV's are illegal but you have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time to get done for it. hope i've helped.

if its not stock all BOVs are illegal, you would have to get a BPV instead, they work better anyway and they dont make noise, MPS's come with them standard but they are plastic and they leak so they dont hold as much boost, you should look at getting a after market BPV thats metal

Default Re: Illegal BoV's

I've got the same bov as AL, but mine is setup as plum back. I was told that it is to do with your carbon offset is why aftermarket bov's are illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brackaus View Post
    I've got the same bov as AL
    Yes he is copying me

I sooo don't stalk...

Actually I though you had a different brand.

I think so far the only decent BOV around for the MPS has got to be the turbosmart dual port as u can have it venting atmo, recirculated or 50/50. From my understanding, the po-pos are more concerned with the noise it makes when it is vented to atmo (noise restriction rules?) than anything else really. I believe having an aftermarket BOV tends to hold boost better throughout the rpm range and makes a betta sound lol even on recirculated. But having said that, as long as ur not overly stupid with mods MPS's usually get "passed" as a normal 3 or a 6 anyway, po-pos usually keep an eye out for sky-rices, 180sx, s15, s14 etc etc ur grey import rockets anyway haha

A bypass valve is your safest bet. 100% legal and still sounds great with an aftermarket intake (just not as loud)

I have a CPE recirculating bov. No problems with it. I believe its the E.P.A. that nab you because it's a pollution problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    GFB Hybrid GT

Capable of full vent, full recirc or 50/50.
    +1 i have this as well and canot be more happier with it. had it on 50/50 for abit but was causing very little but not very often small pops from the exhaust. very audible as well so now iv changed it to full recirc and still very audible with aftermarket intake. still get alot of heads turning when i let it off
    CURRENT: 2009 VW Passat R36

PREVIOUS: 2008 Mazda 3 MPS

It's illegal to vent to atmosphere because your letting our unfiltered, compressed air out to the atmosphere. If something was to come out(say a small piece of metal etc), it would fly out at what ever the discharge boost is set at.

That's why it's illegal(In NSW anyways).

The turbosmart valve can be complete VTA, complete Recirc or 50/50. The only valve on the market that offers that kind of flexibility!

Quote Originally Posted by lazydog View Post

The turbosmart valve can be complete VTA, complete Recirc or 50/50. The only valve on the market that offers that kind of flexibility!
    Negatory!

MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

There was another model i saw but that was $600+.. it was a stealth one that you can manually change from 50/50 to 100 BOV or 100 BPV, by turning a knob :O

but $600 is too much i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Brackaus View Post
    There was another model i saw but that was $600+.. it was a stealth one that you can manually change from 50/50 to 100 BOV or 100 BPV, by turning a knob :O

but $600 is too much i think.
    Must have updated the site. I am sure its still available, from memory it was the same part as the last model WRX..

Eg - http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/archi...off-valve.html
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

so all this talk of damaging ur car if ur BOV is set to VTA..

true or false?

also wats the diff between BPV and BOV?

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 3mpsblack View Post
    so all this talk of damaging ur car if ur BOV is set to VTA..

true or false?

also wats the diff between BPV and BOV?
    by venting to atmosphere with a blow off valve, air that does not enter the inlet manifold when the throttle plate closes is not recirculated back into the system before the turbo, and vented into the engine bay instead

that means that for a brief moment, the engine will have a richer fuel mixture in the combustion process because the computer thinks there is more air in the system than there actually is. its probably more so a case of causing the engine to run rougher for that brief moment, and possibly foul the o2 sensor or the cataylic converter rather than actual engine damage

an exmaple is when you see a car reving out, and when they change gears, you hear that whoosh sound, accompanied by a pop from the exhaust, or even a flame

a bypass valve will recirculate the air back into the system before the turbo, so there is no difference between the amount of air in the system, and what is expected by the computer
    Last edited by kagerou; 23-02-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Well put, the same point I was trying to get accross further up in this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast