User Tag List

Thread: Mazda Motorsport working on a 2010 Mazda MPS 3 Race Car

Blog Entries

Default Mazda Motorsport working on a 2010 Mazda MPS 3 Race Car

While the previous generation Mazda3 MPS race cars have earned their reputation at beating competitors at numerous motorsport events, such as three class wins at Targa Tasmania and a class win and two top ten finishes at the recent 12 Hour Bathurst endurance race, the new-generation Mazda3 MPS is starting to take shape.

The new 2010 Mazda3 MPS has been on sale since June last year and has taken the MPS badge a step forward in all regards. Although Mazda Australia is yet to confirm the specific events in which the new generation Mazda3 MPS racing car will compete in, Mazda Motorsport chief Allan Horsley said developing a racing version of the new model was a no-brainer.

“Given the improvements made to the New Generation model and the success of its predecessor, there is no doubt we’re going to have another competitive little car on our hands.” Horsley said.

Little else is known about the Mazda3 MPS racing car at this stage.

[Source: Car Advice]
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Given the fact that it gets the power to the ground better, and suspension tweaking, they could produce a real weapon!

Ironic how it has non-xenon headlights, yet has washes in the bumper?

It will be good to see what tweaks they do to it, as I understand the Gen1's they race have had very little work done. Correct me if I am wrong, as I'm sure someone will.

From my understandings the targa rules mean the cars are much closer to production cars than the production race cars (the guys who spoke to the team at bathurst might be able to elaberate on that)
    The tarmac magazine test between the targa and production car showed little improvement in straight line speed, but a bit in handling, tyres, and suspension improvements i would guess.
    I've also seen that production race evo lancers are producing significantly more power than targa spec evo's.

Somewhere a long time ago i think i read that Mazda had decided to stick with supporting targa over production car racing because of the rules

this is awesome

Nice can't wait to see them zipping around Tassie, have to get there one year for the Targa!

hmm why would they use the old mps3 wheels on this??
    dan how can u tell it doesnt have the xenon headlights?

Quote Originally Posted by Maginty View Post
    It will be good to see what tweaks they do to it, as I understand the Gen1's they race have had very little work done. Correct me if I am wrong, as I'm sure someone will.
    That's pretty right. I think I listed the mods in an earlier thread not long after our hot laps in the targa cars at Canberra. Mods were fairly limited. Engine was completely stock and still had the standard airbox but there was a big exhaust and an Xede tune.

Most of the effort was in the handling department with a substantial roll cage to stiffen the frame and of course R series tyres. I think they had coilovers but I can't remember for certain and the diff was wound up so tight it could barely go around tight corners.

Inside there was a rally computer, race seats, harness and a suede covered steering wheel (no air bag).

That's all I can remember. Not much in terms of mods, but there was a lot of "preparation" in the cars to make them what they were.

Gone to Volvo

Blog Entries

I wonder if its covered by warrently if the mods cause problems with the car

Quote Originally Posted by STEALTH_MPS View Post
    Because the headlights on the car shown have orange in them. Whereas the Xenon are all clear.

Quote Originally Posted by STEALTH_MPS View Post
    Probably a set of R spec tyres sitting on those rims that they had lying around, no point in wasting them.

For it's public racing appearance you'll see the current wheels.

hmm didnt know that about the xenons.

Smile Gen 1 wheels !!!

[QUOTE=STEALTH_MPS;93849]hmm why would they use the old mps3 wheels on this??

When most race cars are in the workshop usually they put wheels with old worn tyres on as not to cure or damage new rubber I think .
    Col