User Tag List

Thread: Mini user guide for ipod integration kit

Default Mini user guide for ipod integration kit

Hey I thought i'd make a mini guide on my experiences using the ipod integration kit and the iphone. I knew before buying my MPS that there were lots of incompatibility reports and not working as intended posts. I did decide to get Mazda to throw in the ipod kit for free cause I wanted to play with it and after picking up my 09 3 MPS yesterday here's what I've managed to do with it.

09 Mazda 3 MPS Luxury with ipod integration kit
    iphone 3GS

Bluetooth on and connected iphone/car
    ipod adapter plugged into iphone

^both done at the same time

Phone charges - 61% to 78% during a 45 minute drive home in traffic
    Playing music - via ipod selection NOT BT audio
    Select album/song/artist/genre etc - Use the up and down arrows of the DISC selector and it chooses which category you want to sort by. Use the up and down arrows of the FOLDER selector and you make a selection within the category you have just selected.
    Display song info - hit the info button (cant remember if that was it) and it scrolls between artist/title/album/playtime.
    Call via bluetooth while listening to music - press the pickup button on the steering wheel and you can then make calls. Called home during my drive and spoke to the mother worked well. Music is paused at this time. Pressed hang on the phone call. Music continues where it left off.

This is what i've managed to do so far. Add your thoughts, comments and questions.

I did not have to set up any playlists or anything like that.

Funnily the manual for the ipod kit has a massive list of which ipods it supports and states it doesn't support the ipod shuffle, 3rd gen ipod and iphone. I have the iphone and the 3rd gen ipod! Will test ipod later but I dont really see the point cause the iphone does everything and charging works! And I do not have a firewire to USB charge converter.

Cheers

Good guide and good news, I was a bit worried after reading all the reports of people having problems but what you describe is pretty much the perfect solution, maybe they upgraded their controller hardware without updating the manual?

One question, can you still use the iPhone itself to control which song plays back or do you relinquish control to the head unit/steering wheel controled?

They may have updated it so you may get an older model also?
    Now the manual clearly states it doesn't support the gen 3 ipod and iphone and I have now tested my gen 3 ipod and it does work in the same way.

The ipod will have a mazda logo and you lose control to the head unit and steering controls. The unit sits in your glove box so you wont be able to fiddle with it anyway! If you want to control it using the iphone you can use bluetooth audio and just have the unit as a charger as the iphone you maintain control.

Good stuff, I also heard this morning confirmation from dealer that the 3.5mm AUX IN still works with iPod kit connected, can you confirm that?

mmmm ok so you want aux connection so you can use ipod to control music but the ipod kit just to charge the ipod?

when you plug ipod into ipod connector kit you lose the AUX option on the factory headunit so i dont think you can

without anything plugged in you get FM1 FM2 AM AUX BTAUDIO as your mode options
    when you plug in ipod/iphone it becomes FM1 FM2 AM iPOD BTAUDIO

Sort of.

What I want to be able to do is be able to plug my iPod in to the iPod adapter and use the wheel control etc, which can be done.

But I also want the option to be able to plug in another random mp3 player using the AUX IN 3.5mm connector, regardless of if there is an iPod connected via the adapter.

From what you say it seems like you can use the AUX IN as long as you don't have an iPod connected, correct?

To summarize:

1) You can use the iPod Adapter to plug an iPhone/iPod in and control all functions via the hear unit or steering wheel
    2) You can use the AUX IN to plug any external audio device in via 3.5mm as long as nothing is connected to the iPod adapter
    3) You can use the BTAUDIO to connect an iPhone and the iPod adapater to connect an iPod at the same time
    4) You can use the BTAUDIO and AUX In at the same time
    5) You can't use the AUX IN and iPod connector at the same time

Does that sound about right?

Just tested 3.5mm aux, ipod and btaudio and you can get all three at the same time! So yeah you can very much do whatever you want. However if the iphone is ipod connected and BTaudio connected, somehow if you do a switch from ipod to btaudio then back to ipod the audio will no longer play from the ipod connector and you have to disconnect and reconnect to regain control. I think it's the phone changing audio output to bluetooth and somehow the ipod connector cant regain control.

I do find the audio quality from BT superior to ipod connector and aux though. Am I just imagining that?

Default Re: Mini user guide for ipod integration kit

The audio from the Bluetooth is louder so it might sound a little different bit I hates how the iPhone Bluetooth would connect after I plugged In the iPod cable, I had to jailbreak my phone to remove the a2dp!