User Tag List

Thread: Warning: Choose your workshops carefully - 3 gauge mount and a big headache ..

Default Warning: Choose your workshops carefully - 3 gauge mount and a big headache ..

Not sure if i have this in the correct section
    Please move if need be
    Thought id give you all a heads up of the drama' si have had with my 3 gauge mount and the install
    The gauges work fine and fitment was all good but the worksmanship was terrible
    Ended up with coolant leaking, lopsided Tein coilovers, oil leaking and grease pissing out from somewhere

I have cut and pasted most of this from across the road, this is how it has panned out etc:

So first we get some pictures:

More in the album below:
    Stuff pictures by swEet_3_SP23 - Photobucket

So i leave this open for discussion whilst i wait to sort out a time to get it to Mazda to see what the deal is

Alot suggest it being the cv boot because it appears to be a grease and not oil
    I also listen to all the bad jokes about what else the dark coloured substance could be

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So i eventually get it to Mazda and back to the original workshop to have coolant lines fixed and tightened and the Tein adjusted, havent driven in for a week or 2 and missing that whole "zoom zoom" feeling and this was the next entry:

OK guys and girls

Update:

Coolant leak fixed, for now
    Was to do with the plumbing i had done for the gauges etc

As for the oil
    I have been told its the oil filter housing that needs replacing
    $200 and a couple of hrs to do it
    Apparently the grease that i could locate, if "just left over / old stuff"

So im a little bit pissed off about this because i only had my car serviced 2 months ago .. and i havent been driving it that much

So can anyone give me an idea how the hell the oil filter housing fails ??

Enigma, has just told me that could have hit something underneath near oil sump ..

Whats everyone think ?
    Am i getting ripped off and taken for a ride ?

Again left open for discussion and im recommended to get the car into another workshop to see if the housing really needs replacing

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Car gets booked into the workshop that has only been around for a few months, they did all the work on my Bro's RX8 and he hasnt had any issues

Next entry :

Ok so the car wont be going back to Mazda anymore
    Have just got everything fixed and will take it back to the new workshop in about a wks time to check all has held up well

So the grease has come from the cv boot not being clamped back on with metal clamp - someone decided that cable ties would do the trick - so thats where all the grease was coming from

All the plumbing from the oil for the gauges seems to have been the cause aswell as an old o ring on the oil filter housing not the housing unit itself

The fittings that were used for the oil plumbing, didnt have any thread tape on them so naturally thats where the oil was coming from. To top it off the fitting were only hand tight ..

Lesson for the day: Always check over the car once you collect it from the workshop ..

Will get some photos up later and will give you an update when the car gets checked over in about a wks time

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry about the long winded post
    Looks like i have found a workshop i can trust
    I actually spent the whole time around the car whilst the work was done

Now i just need to get the car back in for a check over to make sure everything is ok

Lesson learnt: If possible get the workshop to show you ALL the work they have done, even if the car is still up on the hoist or in bits
    I wasnt able to check the oil fittings myself because they were at the base of the engines and we had to get it onto a hoist to see the mayhem

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Heres the final log at this point:

I got a follow up car from Mazda, a representative etc asking me if my car went in last Friday, convo went like this:

Mazda:Hello Matt, did you car go in for the repairs the other day ? Or was it re-booked etc
    Me: Ah no, i canceled the appointment because i have the car sorted etc
    Mazda: Oh really, how, i thought we had ordered correct part etc
    Me: Nah, the workshop that fixed it had checked on the part and it was fine, turns out it was caused by another problem from another workshop
    Mazda: Ah right, so i will just send this part back then
    Me: Yeah

The actual person i was dealing with at the service centre was pretty pissed off though, and i said to him that i understand that BUT the part that was ordered and quoted to repair my vehicle was not needed. He couldnt really say much more after that hehehe

As for the comment about going to your "own mechanic" , the hardest part is trying to find a reliable and decent workshop

The place im going to, has only been open for a little while, so its pretty easy to get the car booked in and the mechanic knows what he is doing because of the previous cars he has owned etc.
    Last edited by RED3VIL; 15-02-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Where is NASA

Quote Originally Posted by 2000MNLESS View Post
    Where is NASA
    hehe so true. i cant believe he hasnt commented on this thread yet. sounds like u got all the problems found early and saved yourself a lot of cash
    HKS cat back, CES SRI, DENSO Iridium cold plugs,MZR Shifter Base Bushings... more to come! got the mod bug!!!

Blog Entries

Yeah I find most dealers don't take too much notice of aftermarket parts until they pull them apart, which I think is BAD

I heard about what had happened to NASA's car
    Yes i am very lucky .. if it was for the coolant leak i wouldnt have found the rest of it

i had a problem with a service department telling me there was nothing wrong with my car, i could hear a knocking on hard take offs. After removing and installing the engine mount myself with a replacement CPE one I found my stock mount was torn and causing the noise.....
    I took the broken one back to them once it was off the car!!
    i dont trust those service dept either!

7. Default

Man, back yard boyz strikz againz.. So glad I had APC Racing do my tripple gauges. They did a perfect job.

Peoples, this stuff aint for the backyarders. Take it to a racing professional, or at least someone who is familliar with the 3MPS!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    Take it to a racing professional, or at least someone who is familliar with the 3MPS!!!
    You would assume Mazda would be familiar with it hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by RED3VIL
    So the grease has come from the cv boot not being clamped back on with metal clamp - someone decided that cable ties would do the trick - so thats where all the grease was coming from

sorry to break it to you, but nowadays when you buy replacement cv boots, they usually come with cable ties rather than the metal clamp

its due to poor workmanship that its leaking rather than the cable ties

i'll fit them with cable ties and never had them leak unless the boot was damaged

FaRk, you got burnt. That looks like dirt/oil So yes CV shafts sounds good

lol nasa got grounded for 3 months... 10k payout, new block ta very much

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nasa View Post
    lol nasa got grounded for 3 months... 10k payout, new block ta very much
    Please explain. . . confusion much ?

Quote Originally Posted by kagerou View Post
    sorry to break it to you, but nowadays when you buy replacement cv boots, they usually come with cable ties rather than the metal clamp

its due to poor workmanship that its leaking rather than the cable ties

i'll fit them with cable ties and never had them leak unless the boot was damaged
    Yeah i was told that the new kits come with plastic
    If i was the one doing the work though, i would have changed the clamp over

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gensei View Post
    hi everone first time on a forum forgive me if i stuff it up just bought late 2007 mps with 20000 ks feels and sounds a bit rough on left hand side front like a rumble when braking and cruising any ideas or is it just me
    Must have put the tripple gauges on your brake pads... Only thing I can think of related to the installation of the tripple gauges that would cause a rumble when braking

Could be anything from warped discs, to blown bearings or cv joints. May even be failed shocks or loose end links.

Take it to Mazda and road test it.

Um Mods .. ??

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by LILZLR View Post
    Please explain. . . confusion much ?
    they guys who i used to install have insurance, warranty etc, i complained, they agreed, they made a claim to there insurance!
    that payed for a new block and install! no probs since
    '
    'BRISBANE AUTOSHINE' MOBILE CAR DETAILING
    1300 35 65 95
    0406 427 269
    antony@autoshine.com.au
    www.autoshine.com.au
    GIFT VOUCHERS AND CLUB DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE**

Just an update on this
    Gauges seem to be running fine
    I have my doubts though
    I think their may still be a leak somewhere, i may need to replace some pipes alter on down the track because somebody couldnt cut them straight or clean

i do most work myself.. take my time ask questions first 99% of teh time have had no problems! touch wood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when i do get someone else to do the work i like to be there to watch..

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

when i get my pride and joy tuned i cant be next to her .. i hope ur problems clear up or fix comes quick worst feeling when ur car doesnt feel right
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........