User Tag List

Thread: Royal Purple Max-Gear gets my Vote

Default Royal Purple Max-Gear gets my Vote

As the title suggests.

Royal Purple Max-Gear 75w90 gets my Vote.. after much researching and pm-ing people all over the Intergoogleweb people are running this particular GL4/5 Fluid for 10's of thousands of miles with no issues with gearbox shifting etc..

After putting Redline MT-90 in 3 days before hand and found out I was left with a Horrifying LSD Groan at full lock and piss poor Gear Shifts.. I bit the bullet and hunted down the NZ importer of the Royal Purple...

3Quarts & 71.80 incl GST Later (yeah i wasted 130 dollars on the 3 quarts of stupid MT 90 which i have basically thrown away now!)

The Royal Purple is great after a hammering last night shes shifting superb. and there is no horrid LSD groan

Ignore all the GL4 is better less dangerous than GL5 debate... if your buying a quality brand then i would be more inclined to believe that there is nothing dangerous especially if its stated it meets/exceedes GL4 requirements

But in a Nut shell.. you dont have to put up with the Diff Groan..
    you dont have to squirt in Additive just buy the correct fluid from the get go.. and stop worry about all the old wives tales on the internet...

----

The fluid is a really cool Deep Purple colour too!!!!

Should have stuck with the MT90, while I have no experience with it and the respective shifting properties, I am running the RP in mine, it has been in for about 20k now and I am looking to change it asap, shifts arent too bad (starting to have to muscle into second occasionally), noticeably worse on cold mornings, and the woong woong noise is as apparent as ever with RP (it wont happen overnight, but it will happen).
    It also didnt fare to well on a gearbox oil white paper I posted up here a while ago.

Here is the link

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...e-gearbox.html

after reading the document I am going to give the Amsoil a shot.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Mt90 was/is arse muscling in to seind more or less sounds like u drive hard an have started to wear your gear box... Or you clutch is getting worn and no longer disengaging correctly... The unfortunate things with there boxes is they are slow shifters at the eat of times... I think most of is get over excitable in the lower gears no thanks to the apparent turbo rush... I change gv fluid when ever I change engine oil any way .. Interesting that ur LSD groan has returned out of the five individual users if it none of them have had the wurr wurr. Noise come back even after 20000mile on the same fluid

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

No discrespect intended either matt but on furthe reading there was evidence that the paper u mentioned was apparently hevily biased

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

Also the redline tested in that is not MT90 it's the bottle that is gl5 and states 75w90

Firstly, I dont doubt for a second that the paper isnt biased, however redline mt-90 is considered by many to be one of the better oils available for these cars, both locally and by the much larger US MS3 community.
    I dont really drive my car that hard, mostly Im driving to and fro work in traffic, although I do have a TWM short shifter + bushings, which may exaggerate the feedback from the gearbox in any case.
    My biggest concern in the rather long winded paper is the corrosion factor of the RP over most others, this is the area thats going to damage those brass synchros over extended use.

At the end of the day, if it works for you, and removes the woonging noise you may as well stick with it, I am curious though to see how you find your first few shifts on those cold winter mornings.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Fair enough sorry about the ARse about face reply... i was half asleep at the time so somethings may have not come out as intended to Convey..

I drive my car daily i nanny 1st and 2nd more than anything only really put the foot down 3rd and 4th..

if it is shit this winter i will change it straight out...

as i spend time at the snow..

but for the moment its working and no stupid noise.. tbh the gearbox was dead silent untill the dealership changed the gearbox fluid
    what ever came with the car form the mazda factory was a million times better than the shit they replaced it with..

i think you changed the redline mt-90 too early

i am no expert, but i think it would take a few hundred kilometres for the properties of the oil to change, which affects how it shifts

mt-90 wont solve the "woong woong" sound though

MT90 was find in my Old Golf etc..

but it wasnt good enough in my opinion this time around..

when the RP starts to Fail ill attempt something else
    or Run MT90 with a Friction Modifier..

but as said prevously i used to destroy MT90 after two Track Sessions..

I have used MT90 in my car since 20,000km. I changed it again at 30,000km (basically removing any remaining standard oil that was mixed in at the first change), again at 50k, 70k, and 100k. The car is now at 120k and the gearbox has ever been smoother, each gear clicks in and out beautifully.

Yeah, there's a bit of "woong woong" on full lock but that doesn't bother me.

In winter, I have no problems going from 1st to 2nd, and my car is parked outside. I find that if I double clutch on the first gear change from 1st to 2nd there will be no grinding.

MT90 definitely gets my vote.

Cheers,
    Spud

Why are you wasting your money changing gearbox oil every 20k or so???? It doesnt contaminate & break down like normal engine oil. Changing it once every 50k is more than enough. Check your service book, how many times does it say to change the gearbox oil.............

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    Why are you wasting your money changing gearbox oil every 20k or so???? It doesnt contaminate & break down like normal engine oil. Changing it once every 50k is more than enough. Check your service book, how many times does it say to change the gearbox oil.............
    why because i can... i dont really trust everything a handbook says either..

Im also a big fan of running Castrol Forumla R 10w60

My post was directed at Spud, not you........& 10w60 is waaaaay too thick a grade oil for our cars.
    And yes....im sure Mazda would make handbook recomendations to shorten engine life & increase warranty claims.....NOT....!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahaha

:P

Ive not blown a car up yet

only a gearbox.. but that was because i was a absolute **** to it...

13. Default

i change gearbox oil once a year, so thats a bit over 30,000km, or earlier if it consistently doesn't shift as nicely