User Tag List

Thread: How to maintain a modified car

Default How to maintain a modified car

Hi guys/gals.

Driving a mps3 gen1, but i'm sure it will apply to everyone, and was wondering what are some of the finer things to check for which may not seem that obvious when doing some self maintenance at home.

I don't own a workshop, have the ability to remove my entire exhaust or anything full on like that. Was after some of the easier things to check to make sure that everything is good, no air leaks etc etc. The car is modified with your standard stuff. Not including a turbo/aftermarket IC.

For example, I check the clamps on the hoses going into the top mount, they get a little loose and need a bit of a re-tighten every now and again.

Thanks

Get a PEDDERS $14 suspension check. If your nice to them they will tighten up anything they find loose as well!

Loved those checks when had the stiff coilovers in my S14. Did this every 6months or so

well obviously you can do the basics such as checking/changing the engine oil, radiator coolant, battery water and tyre pressure

then you can change or bleed out the brakes fluid every once in a while, either by yourself using a brake bleeder tube available from most parts stores or with another person pressing down on the brake pedal. the brakes and clutch use the same reservoir on the 3, so top that up when bleeding the clutch - dot 4

- rotate the tyres, and while the rims are off, check the pads for wear

- if you have a jack with enough height, you can change the gearbox fluid as well, which is gl-4

- power steering fluid i tend to change once every year, or earlier if its no longer red - dexron 3

- occasionally use a bottle of upper engine cleaner to cleanout the intake maifold

- if you dont have anything better to do, you can pull the spark plugs out and check their condition