User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NON Turbo M3 intake manifold

Default NON Turbo M3 intake manifold

Hi all,

I am looking at getting a little more out of my M3 SP23.... I have done the headers back exhaust, CAI, advanced timing mod and now looking at getting a performance Intake manifold....

So far I have found two different units;

1. Cosworth Intake manifold
    Duratec Focus - Cosworth USA

details;
    Designed primarily for front drive applications, the Cosworth Plenum type inlet manifold has been engineered for maximum airflow while maintaining strong, low rpm torque and can be used for custom and turbo applications. Use with YD8066 Throttle Body for maximum air flow.

2.Weapon*R Intake manifold
    Weapon*R Racing Development

Details;
    BOLT ON 50HP! Our Sheet Metal Intake Manifolds are proven to make over 50 hp at the wheels on Turbo applications. Our Street Manifold offers quick Turbo spool and huge top end power increases over the factory intake manifold.We feature CNC velocity stacks, CNC machined flanges, and all of our Intakes manifolds are hand made in-house to ensure top quality. Our Manifolds are made of Billet AL6061 Aluminum and super lightweight. Each manifold is tested for leaks and pinholes for optimum power gains. Comes with ports for all OEM Sensors. Fully Bolt on application. Capable of holding up to 45PSI.

I am more interested in the Cosworth intake however ive been told (by someone that owns one) that i need to either buy the Ford Focus Ztec TB or have the intake machined to fit the standard mazda 3sp23 TB (one of 4 holes dont fit/line up). End of the day im happy to go either way so long as it works and i get some more fun from my sp23.

Is there anyone in Aust that can make one (if so PM me) or know of a Cosworth or another intake manifold for sale?

thanks
    Andy

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

few you tubes on the weapon r intake

YouTube - Mazda 3 (Axela) with Weapon-R

YouTube - Mazda3 with WeaponR Intake Manifold 3

YouTube - Mazda3 after Weapon-R intake mani, and Draxas headers

and

YouTube - Walk around Mazda3 Draxas,Weapon-R....
    Last edited by A Pirate; 06-02-2010 at 02:25 PM.
    MAZDA 3 SP23 : XFORCE : EIBACH : WHITELINE : AUTOEXE : CORKSPORT : KMAC : TWM : AFX :SCANGUAGE 2 : XHP : KUMO : CARBON PRODUCTS : AERO BODY STYLING : BLAUPUNKT : INFINITY : TOMTOM : SPARKSECRET.COM : MONZA : AERPRO : JBS Customs : FHRX EARTHING KIT : DYNAMATT : UNIDEN : RFI : iPOD : STINGER : REDLINE Tuning :

SUBARU FORESTER MY10 XT-P
    : TCP AUTO : HYPERFLOW : PERRIN : WHITELINE : STi : BREMBO : BEATRUSH : TURBOSMART : LENSO : PULSE RACING TUNE @ 182 AWKW

2. Default

We can make intakes, like these!
    Done heaps for rotors & other custom intakes

what are you looking at? cost and time ? (ball park figure as i know its impossible to give exact now)

do you import from the states? ie cosworth? could you quote me on a coswoth intake manifold?

4. Default

we can import it, will have to find out the cost's on importing it.

Making a custom mani would be you to you a basic alloy piece, too a fully polished & seamed.
    Sheet or tube
    Or we could even go as cheap as we could & use your standard flanges by cutting them off your standard manifold.

Are you after a show piece or just get you the power!

mainly to get the power...but want it to look ok......im pretty sure our intake mani is plastic to the block.

6. Default

I will look into to it next week for you

I would have thought the next step for you would be an ECU upgrade, or changing to bigger cams, I'm sure there would be aftermarket cams available that are compatible with the stock ECU.
    I doubt you would see much benefit from an inlet mani alone, as I dont think the stock item would be running out of puff with your current mods.

the plan is intake manifold then ECU upgrade so the car can be tuned for the mainfold. Cams seem to be really hard to find for the non turbo 2.3L.

Info from the few cars that have intake manifolds/CAI/exhaust and then ECU are pulling round 110-120fwkw up from 86 stock. There is one in sydney that i know of have the cosworth intake and he said it did make a difference, esp with the new ecu.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

okies pretty hard to take pics without pulling apart/removing the fuel rail,throttle cables, sensors and wires. Anyway here are a few for starters...please ask for specific pics (if needed) I also live in Sydney (engadine) so if this is a goer i can drive out to penrth for a meet up.

trumpets to the block are plastic

Last edited by A Pirate; 05-02-2010 at 04:18 PM.
    MAZDA 3 SP23 : XFORCE : EIBACH : WHITELINE : AUTOEXE : CORKSPORT : KMAC : TWM : AFX :SCANGUAGE 2 : XHP : KUMO : CARBON PRODUCTS : AERO BODY STYLING : BLAUPUNKT : INFINITY : TOMTOM : SPARKSECRET.COM : MONZA : AERPRO : JBS Customs : FHRX EARTHING KIT : DYNAMATT : UNIDEN : RFI : iPOD : STINGER : REDLINE Tuning :

: TCP AUTO : HYPERFLOW : PERRIN : WHITELINE : STi : BREMBO : BEATRUSH : TURBOSMART : LENSO : PULSE RACING TUNE @ 182 AWKW

This might be a crazy concept, but would an MPS inlet mani fit?, that would flow more than enough, and could possibly be a cheaper option if you can find one at a wreckers.

thats something i didnt think of ...ill see if i can find one to look at.

If you go the way of the cosworth manifold, have a look at mazdaspeed forums.

I know there is at least one bloke over there that has made an adaptor plate for the cosworth manifold to address the misplaced bolt location and also I think a vacuum port that isnt used in the mazda throttle body.

The adaptor plate is also dirt cheap from memory and fully engineered.

As far as the Weapon R manifold goes, from what I have read on other forums not my own experience, it is a bit suspect in build quality, though alot cheaper than the cosworth.

If you are staying NA it would probably be fine, but have heard stories of the plenum letting go in boosted applications.

Also with either of these manifolds you would be advised to tune your car when they are fitted. From memory the ecu has alot of trouble getting mixtures right in its standard form, as the air flow rate is beyond ecu parameters. Feel free to correct me on that one though.
    Last edited by RadiantKnackers; 06-02-2010 at 01:46 PM.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

im having trouble finding it do you remember where it is?

Quote Originally Posted by A Pirate View Post
    thats something i didnt think of ...ill see if i can find one to look at.
    More than welcome to do a quick comparison with mine if that helps Andy, shoot me a pm and well arrange a time to meet up.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

I reakon you would be better off using the MPS manifold like MattMPS3 suggests, makes more sense to me

Be heaps better than that ABS plasic one anyday

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    More than welcome to do a quick comparison with mine if that helps Andy, shoot me a pm and well arrange a time to meet up.
    Thank you for that Matt, Im about to go back to sea BUT i will chase you up when i get home.

not what i want ATM but here is a SC kit for the 2.3 http://www.f2usa.com/products/04%252...l-Stage-1.html
    Last edited by A Pirate; 07-02-2010 at 02:54 PM.

That doesnt look too bad, but yeah im more of a turbo person love the sound of turbo chatter

here is a pic of a cosworth intake mani on a sydney SP23..... (SPBling's)

Last edited by A Pirate; 08-02-2010 at 08:13 AM.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

this seems pretty hard to find sent 15 emails with only 2 responces.....

19. Thumbs up

Great mod man!
    I ve had my eye on the same cosworth mani for some time now and its good to see that some one has done it!
    Are you 2.0 or 2.3 duratec?
    Have you also set the ECU? Whats the outcome of all of this? Did you get what you went for out on the road?
    Where did you order the mani from and how much did it cost you?
    Do you have a dyno-graph?
    Last edited by vardar; 12-02-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Blog Entries

Are the Cossi manifolds still crazy expensive?? This would be a great mod but as per usual with out great little NA cars...big bucks = small gains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast