User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fifth Gear drive the 2010 Mazda MPS 3

Blog Entries

Default Fifth Gear drive the 2010 Mazda MPS 3

Stumbled across this video today...

[YOUTUBE]JAI18lEdJoQ[/YOUTUBE]

I don't know what to make of the review. She likes it, she hates it?
    She thinks it's a 2.5L and that is limited in 1st, 2nd & 3rd and that it revs to 7000. So in all, she has no idea.

Ouch!!

She likes it but thinks is crap compared with the Golf GTI.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maginty View Post
    I don't know what to make of the review. She likes it, she hates it?
    She thinks it's a 2.5L and that is limited in 1st, 2nd & 3rd and that it revs to 7000. So in all, she has no idea.
    But she's Vicki
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Forgot to say, Ford RS FTW!

its all wrong. are the specs different over there??
    2.3lt not 2.5
    does not have more power than the previous model...

no idea???

Quote Originally Posted by MPS III View Post
    its all wrong. are the specs different over there??
    2.3lt not 2.5
    does not have more power than the previous model...

no idea???

I think she said it has more power than the Golf GTI not the previous MPS model.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

So basically she told us what we already know....

Its a great car with raw and brutal power that a HOT HATCH should have.

If you want a warm hatch....buy an expensive Golf GTI

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Quote Originally Posted by armthehomeless View Post
    But she's Vicki
    agreed. vicki is a babe!

10. Default

Its Vicki, you know the review is going to be crap. If it was Tiff or Jason it would be right in all respects.

I watched those two clowns clown around in a M3 sedan and ISF today. Was great entertainment.

[YOUTUBE]FRDL5hiEMto[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]GkFD26f_EII[/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by armthehomeless; 03-02-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Its funny though, I drove Postie Gen II on the weekend and it felt like the Golf GTI I drove tested before buying my MPS.

Its definately closer to a Golf GTI than the previos MPS model.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Its funny though, I drove Postie Gen II on the weekend and it felt like the Golf GTI I drove tested before buying my MPS.

Its definately closer to a Golf GTI than the previos MPS model.
    Well thats obvious that they have REFINED the MPS in the Gen2.

But its still more brutal than the other hot hatches on the market.

Gen1 MPS are ANIMALS....and you really need to know the car to drive it well.

Im sure the next model...should one be made will be even more refined again....

Shame really....I really like the raw and brutal power of the original MPS...just most ppl didnt

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Quote Originally Posted by duglet View Post
    Gen1 MPS are ANIMALS....

Im sure the next model...should one be made will be even more refined again....

Shame really....I really like the raw and brutal power of the original MPS...just most ppl didnt

Happy Motoring
    duglet
    True that, however i could live with the refined bit if they fix the looks inside and outside. Thats is if they make a Gen III
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

gen 3 but without that fugly smile lol

Smile A little from column a !! A little from column b !!

Its called a bet each way can't be seen to disagree with all the other testers and jurnos ,doesn't matter cause we luv em

Col

I like her (ahem) I mean the review

My take away was

Golf = refinement/class but tame

MPS = Fun/not as glamorous but great value!

Unfortunately in a sales race the points that make the Golf what it is, also help it sell really well to the masses. We all like the feel of the MPS, which is why we bought one, so all we need to do is convince more people who are buying a new hot hatch that the MPS is the best (globally!) and then the 3 MPS will be a great cash cow for Mazda which means they'll have lots of spare money to spend on R&D for a new 6 MPS
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Im sorry, did someone say Vicki is a babe??

On a serious note... Yeah, mixed review!
    In essence its a hot hatch, power and handling with a slightly more refined version available at a higher cost... Isnt that always going to be the case?
    MPS, GTI, BMW, Porsche.. There is always someone better and someone worse!

Take heart in the fact that the more people that dont like them, wont buy one and yours will be even more significant!!

I like that fact the MPS' are reasonably rare!

Interesting!! Even though I understand that Vicki is a genuine racing driver in her own right, it is still just her opinion. I'm suprised they didn't back this up with a track session or a shootout along the same lines as the Lexus vs BMW test posted by Crusher_13. On the track, raw vs refined is just a difference in the way a car reacts and needs to be driven to deliver its best, hence this almost predictable result. I expect it would have been very much the same result if the Golf and MPS were pitted together on the track. After having driven a number of fast, refined cars, it was actually the rawness and sense of controlled unpredicatability that attracted me to the MPS over and above the rest. In a world obsessed with safetey and refinement, it's nice to see a manufacturer that can build a bit of "white-knuckle" attitude into an otherwise equally safe, thouroughly modern car. I like the idea of having to fight the thing to get the best out of it. Such rewards shouldn't be given away through clever technology, you should have to work for it.
    Besides, outright buy price was a lesser concern to me than the ongoing servicing costs through its lifetime. The MPS is virtually as cheap to maintain as a Mazda 2, whereas the Golf costs a bomb!! One of my customers says that his GTi "minor" service is about $400 - $500 a pop....yoiks!

"light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear brighter....until they speak"

Vicki loves it, Vicki hates it.
    I thinks she is saying if you have a few thousand extra to spend and need a less powerful car with less standard kit (than a MPS) that won't frighten your grandmother when you take her shopping and then off to bingo, well buy yourself a Golf GTI. In fact if a MPS is too hot for Vicki to handle maybe a Corolla would be a better fit for her.

However if you want a bloody bargain and a hot hatch with all the bells and whistles that VW charges a fortune for then go the MPS.

I would of liked them to do a track test as well...shame

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast