User Tag List

Thread: Rear Brake seized on

Default Rear Brake seized on

If I leave my 6MPS parked up for a couple of days, the rear brake doesn't release and has to be forced off by moving the car in gear. It makes a brief grinding noise. What's my problem? No other problems afterwards.

Hey foxy, from memory you're in the UK? cold and wet at the moment?

I'd guess you've got moisture which causes the discs to corrode slightly and the grinding noise would be the rusty disc rubbing against the pads and after a short drive the discs are scraped clean by the pads and no more noise! I get this all the time after washing it and leaving it for a while without moving

Yes, it is cold 0c and wet. I've never had this problem on other cars. Does anyone know what is "peculiar" about the MPS?

perhaps bigger brakes and maybe there is some DTV Disk thickness Variation caused by heatsoak and getting cold and then being left ?

its really hard to say... what did mazda say ?

Got this response from a Mazda technician on a UK forum.

"Seems is just one of those things mate, Varies between manufacturers as disc and pad materials vary.

If you put some good aftermarket discs and pads on the back i'm sure it would help, but as i say, its pretty common with Mazda's, 90% of MX-5's, RX-8's, etc that i get into all seem to stick on after its been raining."