User Tag List

Thread: HELP!!! fibreglass resin + paint = BAD!! :-(

Exclamation HELP!!! fibreglass resin + paint = BAD!! :-(

Hi Guys

Unfortunately while doing some fibreglassing i spilt some resin on my paint , and now it has cured and i tried removing a few little areas and the paint chipped off !!!

I tried a bit of acetone but it seems to take forever and i don't want to ruin even more clear coat, even tried a clay bar to little/no effect.

Can anyone please give me some advice on this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers Shibbs

Maybe speak to someone who does fibreglassing for a living mate. I'm sure you aren't the first to do it.

We have this Paint Decontamination kit that includes an acid cleaner, but I have no idea if that will even work on this kind of thing.

How game are you?
    If you are really really careful you could cut the majority of it off with a brand new good quality razor blade
    and then you could carefully cut it back with wet and dry

unfortunately, I don't think it will work, especially because of what I've read about gen 2 paint

the chemical reaction of the resin going hard produces a lot of heat, so if you did manage to get it off, I would guess it would still have damaged the paint

you chould wet sand it off
    start at like 400 - 800 with a sanding block untill your very close to the paint or just on it.

then progress right thru to 1000 --> 1200 --> 1500 --> 2000 ---> Hand Polish

It sounds scary but will probably be the most effective resolution short of a panel spray

Well guys tried the acetone and got a little bit off but took off clear coat aswell . The other parts the paint has peeled off and left just the base coat (like a creamy grey).

Next course of action? I was thinking some mazda colour matched touch up paint? And then probably a good sealer to try and blend it a bit?

Really really annoyed at myself, but alas we all learn

Shibbs

should have gone the wet&dry paper option...

Don't think wet rubbing it would have been successful either.

And besides, ever tried sanding fiberglass?
    There is no way you would sand it with the grade paper needed not to cause major damage to the paint

as I said, even if you did manage to sand it off, the heat would have damaged the paint, and that's the reason the paint has done what it has. It softened the paint and probably eaten into it

Do not, I repeat, do not try and sand the paint on a mazda.

P1000 will take you back to undercoat faster than you would believe and P2000 isnt much better.

As for touching up. I have had two tries on two different mazda 3's and have yet to be able to do a decent job on even a small stone chip.

This could partially be down to me being hopeless at it lol, but if the chip you have taken off is bigger than a couple of millimetres, just get the panel resprayed.

Its never going to look any good.

No matter how carefully you put the touch up paint on, the original paint is just too thin.

Trying to sand or cut the touch up down to the thinness of the original paint will end up with burn through in the surrounding paint.

I have even tried using a cotton bud type sanding pad, that didnt work either.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Saw this on Saturday, nothing guna fix that except for 2 things;

A). Front bar respray
    B). A light stencil touch up and you'll never know the diff

Shiv i've got a m8 thats works at a panel shop that could stencil touch your bar up, he did some touching up on my wipers after the chipped and cant tell the difference

Let me know
    "THE PATH OF THE GTI-R IS BESET WITH PERIL BY THE INJUSTICES OF THE SPEED CAMERA AND THE TYRANNY OF OTHER DRIVERS. BLESSED IS HE WHO OVERTAKES THE EVO & STI THROUGH THE VALLEY OF HAIRPIN TURNS, FOR HE IS TRULY HIS CAR'S TUNER AND THE FINDER OF LOST HORSEPOWER. . . AND WE SHALT STRIKE DOWN WITH GREAT BOOST AND FURIOUS ACCELERATION ON WHOEVER DOTH ATTEMPT TO OBSTRUCT OR DELAY OUR OVERTAKING. . .
    BMW M3 Evo Coming to the R stable soon. . .

Metallic colours and clear over base are close to impossible to touch up properly.
    To get the paint to match factory perfectly it must be applied exactly the same way. It's so difficult that if you took a door off 1 vr Mazda and put it on another vr Mazda chances are it won't look right.
    This is why painters blend metallics

silver cars are just as bad, very difficult colour to match, as any painter, it's their most hated colour

this is why I bought a proper red Mazda. Had a copper red one before and no matter what I did, touchups would go black

best thing to do would not play around with it and get it professionally fixed. The more you play around with it, might make it harder to fix