User Tag List

Thread: HELP!! Dash hawk owners - Q about ECT

Default HELP!! Dash hawk owners - Q about ECT

Calling fellow dash hawk owners.

I have a question about ECT, what average temps are you getting recently?

Reason for asking, despite the recent higher temperatures my thermos seem to be going NUTS almost all the time.

My ECT is ~110 for most of the time over the last week or so and wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing the same behaviour (particularly if you are in NSW too!).

110 degrees?

i never go over 104 degrees because at that temperature, the radiator fan comes on

a few days ago when it was high 30s, ECT was at 88 degrees when driving on the m5 at 110km/hr with no air con on. when off the m5, then the temperature wont drop below 94degrees due to stopping at traffic lights all the time

for a day like today, then the average curising temperature is 86-88 degrees, and when driving at night, then 84-86 degrees

maybe you should check the radiator fan (which can be activated by turning on the air con), possibly the water pump is faulty, or a hose leak?

Cant say I really pay that much attention to mine, I'll try and remeber to check it out on the way home.
    Maybe its time for some new coolant Jmac?, I replaced mine recently with a high quality (fluoro green coloured) Tectalloy 4 yr coolant and noticed a substantial drop in ECT's, from the old stuff.

Here is the stuff,
    Tectaloy 100 Plus

i use seiken coolant because its JDM as F*ck!

Well, on the way home today it got WORSE...

avg 116, when I gave it a good booting it went down to 114
    Aircon stopped working for a bit and the temp gauge in the instrument cluster was VERY high..

Made sure to keep moving but it doesnt look healthy

What is everyone else averaging?

My Intake temp was also >40

AND the forum broke for 15 mins and I had to fix it... amongst other things..
    one of those days.. why me??
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by kagerou View Post
    110 degrees?

i never go over 104 degrees because at that temperature, the radiator fan comes on

a few days ago when it was high 30s, ECT was at 88 degrees when driving on the m5 at 110km/hr with no air con on. when off the m5, then the temperature wont drop below 94degrees due to stopping at traffic lights all the time

for a day like today, then the average curising temperature is 86-88 degrees, and when driving at night, then 84-86 degrees

maybe you should check the radiator fan (which can be activated by turning on the air con), possibly the water pump is faulty, or a hose leak?
    Yeah, Im pretty sure i was around 88 before too..
    Fans are going beserk.. maybe pump, nothing leaking...

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Cant say I really pay that much attention to mine, I'll try and remeber to check it out on the way home.
    Maybe its time for some new coolant Jmac?, I replaced mine recently with a high quality (fluoro green coloured) Tectalloy 4 yr coolant and noticed a substantial drop in ECT's, from the old stuff.

Here is the stuff,
    Tectaloy 100 Plus
    It just had 50k service, I think that includes a coolant change?

-= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

If Mazda had anything to do with the service I would start there, I would keep a very close eye on your coolant temps / levels until you can get back to Mazda, even when I had a leaking radiator hose and was frequently stopping to top up my coolant temps didn't go that high.

Yeah, the res seems to be OVER full.. def looks higher than the other day.. im thinking maybe its the pump.

Could be an air pocket in the system, maybe try running the engine for a while without the cap on, dont do this on a hot engine though.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Could be an air pocket in the system, maybe try running the engine for a while without the cap on, dont do this on a hot engine though.
    Good idea, ill give it a go after im done checking logs on the forums :P

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Calling fellow dash hawk owners.

I have a question about ECT, what average temps are you getting recently?

Reason for asking, despite the recent higher temperatures my thermos seem to be going NUTS almost all the time.

My ECT is ~110 for most of the time over the last week or so and wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing the same behaviour (particularly if you are in NSW too!).
    That's high!

For me 82 degrees to 88 on a hot hot day (Amb +40) normal running. Traffic - low 90's. Stopped/motor off for a short while after a hard run then on first starting 98-99 degrees then quickly drops back to the 80's once moving. My user manual has coolant changes down for 80,000km or 200,000km for FL22 type coolant - apparently it should say FL22 on the radiator cap.

Hope there's nothing bad mate
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Any updates Jmac?,
    Checked mine on the way home last night sitting in slow moving traffic it was sitting around 100 - 104, once moving the numbers would come down (wasn't paying that much attention to note the exact temps), mind you having a dirty big intercooler in front of my radiator would probably account for a few degrees higher than others are seeing.

Maybe they forgot to dilute the concentrated coolant with de-mineralised water, coolant by nature actually slows the heat transfer properties of water, its main use is to prevent boiling or freezing of the system.
    Last edited by MattMPS3; 29-01-2010 at 07:57 AM.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Well.. it had a big drive to Tom Kerr this morning (about an hour or two ago) whilst there was less traffic, pinned near max temp the whole way.

My guess is it will be sleeping over for the weekend. My feelings are thermostat/water pump.

I left it idle for a few minutes with the resiviour cap off, it started gettign quite high and a little overflowed....

Waiting on outcome..

50k service was about 3k ago, so its strange it would happen now.. its only been funny for the last few days.

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD

Jmac - Hope its as simple as this. I had the pleasure of overheating in a Z32TT (300ZXTT). Now when those babies got hot, you could literally smell hot metal. Not good. I was still heating after a waterpump and thermostat changeout right after my 100K service. Finally sorted out the problem. It was a farked radiator cap!!!

You reminded me when you said the overflow bottle was full. Mine would literally dump fluid out of the overflow bottle.
    Last edited by WASpd6; 31-01-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Average between 83 and 86deg.

Thanks for the help guys!

Got the car back yesterday and it was diagnosed as a buggered thermostat which was replaced under warranty.

Great last minute job from John Gilmore and the team at Tom Kerr Mazda.

Love your work fellas!