User Tag List

Thread: Modification Report - Mazda 6 MPS

Default Modification Report - Mazda 6 MPS

Strut Brace
    No initial improvement, if anything reducing the flex in the body - detracted from the low speed handling. Through the twisty bits on "The Great Ocean Road" the car steered out of the corner slightly better than pre-strut brace. Conclusion:-Steer-in a bit less, steer-out better. So in reality at this stage no great change. Time will tell if the strut brace holds the wheel alignment instead of the common problem with macpherson struts and the towers moving inward giving negative camber.
    QFM Brake Pads
    Developed a slight squeal on first application, after that they are just superb. I had a VIC Taxi driver do a U-Turn in front of me in a 100 kph zone - he apparently didn't see me coming. ABS worked so well and subesequent vibration turned off CD player and ejected CD. This is the second time I believe these pads saved me from a collision.
    K&N Air Filter
    No apparent change - I originally thought smoother and better fuel economy, I am not convinced though, I think it had more to do with the fuel I was using. BP Ultimate gave me 8.9 litres/100k's, Caltex 98 gave me 9.2 litres/100 k's as did the next tank on BP Ultimate, Shell 98 and BP Premium 10.0 litres/100k's. Different fuels because of availability, most of the trip on 98 octane. It is very hard to draw any conclusions regarding the K&N Air filter as it really wasn't a controlled test. Prior to the fitting of the filter the car didn't ever get less than 9.1 litres/100k's, so going on the first tank, I guess there is a economy gain.
    Corksport Exhaust Drones at times, only under load. The rest of the time the sound is unobtrusive and pleasant. Cruising those long straight, flat roads in central Victoria there is almost no exhaust note. The exhaust is still a work of art, probably the best looking and made exhaust I have ever seen. A guy in Echuca commented on the nice exhaust note as did the motel owner in Narrandera.

I travelled 2,655 kilometres, the MPS6 performed perfectly - the only problem on the trip was the steering wheel developed a trim squeak - fixed with a spray of RP7

Cheers for the report, it's good to get some feedback from people when they play with mods. I was very tempted by the Corksport exhaust, but had heard it did drone abit, which you confirm.

I'm amazed that your CD ejected under heavy braking.

Thanks for the report! Interesting with the strut brace, I've recently installed one and found a marked improvement in body rigidity (prior to install it felt very loose cornering on rough roads) Though I do have coilovers which may be the difference?

I have to agree with you..

The CS Exhaust has a beautiful note to it!

imformative report on your mods. thanx for that

ditto!
    good read

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DISIMS3 View Post
    I'm amazed that your CD ejected under heavy braking.
    CD - "fkin hell this guy brakes hard!"
    CD Player - "I reckon, wudda u wanna do about it"
    CD - "I'm gonna smack da driva"
    CD Player - "ok, ready, set, GO!"
    CD - "PULLLLLL!!!"
    RD415 "k, CD ejecting?"
    CD Player - "SSSSTTTTRRRIIKKKE!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    CD - "fkin hell this guy brakes hard!"
    CD Player - "I reckon, wudda u wanna do about it"
    CD - "I'm gonna smack da driva"
    CD Player - "ok, ready, set, GO!"
    CD - "PULLLLLL!!!"
    RD415 "k, CD ejecting?"
    CD Player - "SSSSTTTTRRRIIKKKE!!"

This idiot taxi driver coming towards me in a 100kph zone didn't see me I presume and just slowed and swung across my path. I have only felt the ABS shudder once before and that was heavy braking towing the loaded car trailier into an unsighted dip that was flooded - scared the hell out of me - thought the front end fell out. That was in my old ex-Police V8 VP Commodore. I don't ever want to have to brake that hard again in the MPS - thought I was gone for sure.

Getting used of the corksport exhaust note and loving it. Cruise on at 100KPH it is very quiet, only comes on drone when under load or booting it. It is probably the best looking and best fitting exhaust I have ever fitted even better than the superb Xforce exhaust on my VX SS.
    Last edited by rd415; 01-02-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: upate on exhaust