User Tag List

Thread: Car Advice tests the Diesel CX7

Default Car Advice tests the Diesel CX7

Car Advice has carried out a review and road test on the new turbo diesel CX7

and has given it a good rap...link and review below...

there are more pics on the site but I think we all know what it looks like...

http://www.caradvice.com.au/53436/ma...iew-road-test/

Model Tested:

* 2010 Mazda CX-7 Diesel Sports; 2.2-litre, four cylinder, turbo-diesel; six speed manual; five-door SUV – $43,640*

Styling, diesel engine, space, practicality, quality, all-wheel-drive system
    No automatic option, notchy manual, premium price over petrol models

CarAdvice Rating: rating11.gifrating11.gifrating11.gifrating11.gif

If ever there was a major criticism of Mazda’s extremely popular soft-roader, the CX-7, it was how much fuel it used. Being a turbo-charged 2.3 litre petrol, it had the tendency to gulp down the 95RON. The solution? Whacking in Mazda’s brilliant MZR-CD 2.2-litre turbo-diesel. With an ADR tested fuel consumption of 7.6 litres/100km, it looks to quell any concerns a prospective buyer may have had. We grabbed one for a week to see if it made the CX-7 any better.

The CX-7’s appeal lies largely in its styling. Even with the new “happy Mazda” corporate face, it’s arguably one of the best looking soft-roaders out there. Sure, the basic styling may be a few years old now, but it’s aged well, and doesn’t yet look dated. It’s evidenced by the fact that there were more CX-7s sold last year than the year previous. Angular lines, sharply creased wheel arches and a kinked glasshouse certainly lend visual appeal.

When painted in Stormy Blue, as was the test car, the silver accents which frame the windows and front intake contrast beautifully. The front wheel arches harmonise with the Mazda2, Mazda3 and RX-8. The 2010 model receives new fog lamp surrounds, as well as what Mazda calls its “five point design” – smiley mouth as we know it. The rear also receives a newly designed, larger roof spoiler.

There are also changes to the interior. There’s a newly designed steering wheel, similar to the new Mazda3’s unit. The instruments now have a blue ring around them as well as white needles. The centre stack now has metallic edges (or piano black, dependent on spec), the door trims have been redesigned for more comfort, the dash-top display is reshaped and larger, and on the Diesel Sports, incorporates Satellite Navigation with a reversing camera.

The leather seats are beautifully padded, with good grip and size. There’s plenty of leg room in the back, with generous width, too. The centre rear seat’s backrest is very hard, though it does double as a flip-down cup holder. The rear seat backs are also spring loaded, which means that they’re a sinch to lay flat. The other thing that contributes is the release handles found in the boot. If you want to load something large, there’s no need to open several doors, or climb through the car. Just open the boot, pull on the handle and the rear seats instantly transform to a huge load area.

Child seats are fitted very easily, except for the centre seat which needs the child-seat strap to be fed through the false floor before it can be attached to the hook; a pain if you’re changing your baby seat over quite often. However the boot’s high load height and wide opening make putting a pram in a breeze. The Bose stereo also gives excellent clarity and bass. Really, the CX-7’s interior is not just functional, but also elegant. You can see why it’s the choice of many families.

But if the family budget is constrained due to economic uncertainty, then the diesel version should be at the top of your shopping list. The 2.2-litre engine is not just economical (we almost matched the ADR figure, with 8.2-litres/100km on test), but it’s so quiet and smooth, you’d be forgiven for thinking it wasn’t an oil-burner.

There’s a hint of lag, but the engine is so tractable and torquey you’ll overlook it. Peak torque of 400Nm is made at 2,000rpm, but it will happily pull from 1,500rpm, getting much more urgent by 1,800rpm, with the real push coming from 2,000rpm. It does get a bit breathless above 4,000rpm (power of 127kW peaks at 3,500rpm), so you’ll be rowing the gearbox to keep your momentum up, but this reveals a chink in the armour of the CX-7 Diesel Sport.

The gearbox is not the easiest unit in the world to throw between changes. It’s a bit notchy, and second to third can be missed if you’re trying to change quickly. It may be a solid feeling unit, with a sports-like focus, but given who this car is aimed at, something a bit smoother would be nice. Even better would be a six-speed automatic, sadly, there won’t be one; manual is your only option.

Thankfully the clutch is light and progressive, the brakes are brilliant, handling is very sharp and steering feel is excellent. Dynamically, the CX-7 sets the bar for other compact SUVs. Even the ride on its 18-inch wheels is comfortable and absorbent, despite being on the firm end of the scale.

Its traction in amazing too. So many other SUVs rely on sensors to determine if the front wheels have lost grip, responding by sending some drive rearward. The effect is a front wheel scrabble for a split second, with forward momentum following. However the CX-7s all-wheel-drive system is nothing short of perfect. It doesn’t even for a millisecond chirp the front wheels before the rears kick in to help out. It just grips from the get go, and on loose surfaces, that is very reassuring.

Combine that with a responsive stability control system and the CX-7’s ability is even broader than it makes out. We took it for a brief stint on sand, grass and gravel – none of it proved a challenge.

It’s not hard to see why the CX-7’s appeal is universal. Its virtues stack up well – space, quality, practicality, styling – and that’s before you get to the motor. Adding this excellent diesel to the line-up has been a smart move by Mazda. It’s frugal, torquey and puts out less CO2 than some of its German and Japanese rivals.

The price differential between the diesel and turbocharged petrol models might not be so appealing, though. With some diesels only adding a couple of thousand dollars to a car’s sticker price, Mazda’s ask of $4,650 over its AWD petrol model is perhaps a little high. But if you can live that and with a manual gearbox, then this is a serious contender in the compact SUV market.

Ratings:

CarAdvice Overall Rating: rating11.gifrating11.gifrating11.gifrating11.gif
    How does it Drive: rating11.gifrating11.gifrating11.gifrating11.gif
    How does it Look: rating11.gifrating11.gifrating11.gifrating11.gifra ting_half.GIF
    How does it Go: rating11.gifrating11.gifrating11.gifrating_half.GI F

Road Test the Rivals:

* Land Rover Freelander
    * Mitsubishi Outlander (review coming soon)
    * Subaru Forester

Specifications:

* Engine: 2.2-litre four cylinder
    * Power: 127kW @ 3,500rpm
    * Torque: 400Nm @ 2,000rpm
    * Induction: Common-rail, direct injection & turbocharged
    * Transmission: Six-speed manual
    * Driven Wheels: All
    * Brakes: Discs with ABS, EBA & EBD
    * Top Speed: Not Tested
    * 0-100km/h: 10.6 seconds (As Tested)
    * CO2 Emissions: 202g/km
    * Fuel Consumption: 7.6 litres/100km (ADR)
    * Fuel Consumption: 8.2 litres/100km (As Tested)
    * Fuel Tank Capacity: 69 litres
    * Fuel Type: Diesel
    * ANCAP Rating: Five stars
    * Airbags: Six
    * Safety: ESC with Traction Control
    * Spare Wheel: Space saver
    * Suspension: Strut (F) / Multi-link (R)
    * Cargo Capacity: 400 litres
    * Tow Capacity: 1,600kg (Braked)
    * Turning Circle: 11.4m
    * Warranty: Three-Year/Unlimited Kilometre
    * Weight: 1,928kg (Tare)
    * Wheels: 18-inch Alloy
    from Orange NSW

'No automatic option'

Now thats stupid!
    Great car for our family.... well was.... If it dont come in Automatic then my wife would not be happy.

Silly, silly, silly....

i am 1/2 interested in this car...also heard there is a diesel Forester on its way to OZ..after success OS.

few mids like; chip, bigger IC. CAI and zorst should make it a great car.
    Last edited by A Pirate; 22-01-2010 at 02:05 PM.

Strangely enough this caught my interest as my next car (though will keep the MPS too) for the fact that it was manual! Though for a car of this size the main reason of looking at it was to tow my father-in law's boat when I want to borrow it - boat towing a boat

I like it

yeah thats what im looking at ... next car around August..... another alternative is the diesel forester

Subaru reveals its diesel boxer tricks for Forester, Impreza

Subaru unveils its diesel Forester, but oil-burning boxer remains a year away for Oz

5 September 2008
    By PHILIP LORD

SUBARU has previewed its new diesel-powered Forester and Impreza models ahead of their official debut at the Paris motor show on October 4.

The Japanese maker's new boxer diesel has already been offered as an option in the Liberty and Outback in European markets since early this year, and Subaru is keen to grow its European presence further via the addition of the diesel-powered Forester and Impreza.

The Forester makes its European debut this month, while the Impreza arrives in European markets in January.

Meanwhile, Subaru Australia has not been able to move forward its introduction of the diesel as it said it hoped to earlier this year.

Managing director Nick Senior told GoAuto the diesel will appear first in the Outback with a manual transmission by mid to late 2009, in a trim specification that “sits around” the existing 2.5-litre petrol.

The Forester 2.0D will arrive in trim levels mirroring the petrol models, although whether the automatic will be available at launch is not yet confirmed.

Mr Senior points to the levelling-out of petrol Forester sales, which sees the entry-level X model now accounting for 40 per cent of sales - down from 70 per cent.

He believes this is an indication of the likely diesel sales split, and he also forecast a higher pricetag for the new model, saying: “there will be a premium on the diesel”.

The diesel engine has only been developed as a manual so far to get it quickly to the European market, says Mr Senior, who adds: “Obviously it would expand our sales opportunities with an automatic transmission".

Mr Senior said he hopes to have the all-important automatic available for all diesel models in the Australian market “by 2010 or 2011”.

The Forester's diesel is a horizontally-opposed 2.0-litre engine with an 86mm bore and stroke, and 16.3:1 compression ratio. In European market specification, the 2.0D produces 108kW at 3600rpm and 350Nm of torque at 1800rpm.

The Impreza 2.0D produces an identical torque peak but has a maximum power output of 110kW at 3600rpm. The 2.0D adds 75kg overall to the weight of the vehicle and in Europe the 2.0D has a 2000kg towing capacity.

Subaru claims that the Forester diesel has class-leading fuel consumption and C02 emission levels. It is quoting a 6.3L/100km fuel consumption figure and CO2 emissions of 167g/km (2.0 petrol: 8.4L/100km and 198g/km).

The Forester 2.0D has a 64-litre fuel tank - four litres bigger than the petrol version.

Subaru claims that the Forester 2.0D will accelerate to 100km/h in 10.4 seconds and achieve a top speed of 186km/h.

Both new European-spec Forester and Impreza diesels will employ a six-speed manual transmission and the all-wheel drive system already used in existing models.
    Last edited by A Pirate; 22-01-2010 at 02:16 PM.
    MAZDA 3 SP23 : XFORCE : EIBACH : WHITELINE : AUTOEXE : CORKSPORT : KMAC : TWM : AFX :SCANGUAGE 2 : XHP : KUMO : CARBON PRODUCTS : AERO BODY STYLING : BLAUPUNKT : INFINITY : TOMTOM : SPARKSECRET.COM : MONZA : AERPRO : JBS Customs : FHRX EARTHING KIT : DYNAMATT : UNIDEN : RFI : iPOD : STINGER : REDLINE Tuning :

SUBARU FORESTER MY10 XT-P
    : TCP AUTO : HYPERFLOW : PERRIN : WHITELINE : STi : BREMBO : BEATRUSH : TURBOSMART : LENSO : PULSE RACING TUNE @ 182 AWKW

2-tonne for a cx7 jeeeeesus!

[QUOTE=A Pirate;86913]yeah thats what im looking at ... next car around August..... another alternative is the diesel forester

Subaru reveals its diesel boxer tricks for Forester, Impreza

Subaru unveils its diesel Forester, but oil-burning boxer remains a year away for Oz

I don't know see what Jason did to the last Forester
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

different era of foresters and Jase's forester could have easly been a cx7...just one of those things.

likeing the cx7...

Nice!!

* Power: 127kW @ 3,500rpm
    * Torque: 400Nm @ 2,000rpm
    * Fuel Consumption: 7.6 litres/100km (ADR)
    * Fuel Consumption: 8.2 litres/100km (As Tested)
    * Fuel Tank Capacity: 69 litres
    * Tow Capacity: 1,600kg (Braked)
    * Warranty: Three-Year/Unlimited Kilometre

All the good bits, cannot complain about any of that! other than no auto...

The foresters are a good thing, dad has the XT (turbo petrol) model and it goes pretty good
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

these are the two cars ive been seriously loong at as my next car (well it was petrol versions at first but now not so sure after seeing pockets rocket)... Im still not sold on the "smile" ...actually it turns me off all mazdas..... over looking this ghastly design flaw that car actually looks good and reads well (highlighted in the above post)...only point that im caught on is its an AWD with no possibility of low range which the Forster does....

I need a car that can drive to Thredbo in the winter without chains, drive on sand (not so soft that i need 4x4), tow a 5m boat (well the sp23 does it now but i want to be able to take it larger distances easly), big enough for possibly a family (one day in next 5yrs) and has enough power to keep it zippy and fun.....

Atm im looking at;
    XT Premuim forester
    CX7....(maybe even diesel)
    3yr old BMW X5 (but still expensive and its a big unit)
    Suzuki grand vitara
    or what ever comes up between now and august.
    Last edited by A Pirate; 23-01-2010 at 10:42 AM.
    MAZDA 3 SP23 : XFORCE : EIBACH : WHITELINE : AUTOEXE : CORKSPORT : KMAC : TWM : AFX :SCANGUAGE 2 : XHP : KUMO : CARBON PRODUCTS : AERO BODY STYLING : BLAUPUNKT : INFINITY : TOMTOM : SPARKSECRET.COM : MONZA : AERPRO : JBS Customs : FHRX EARTHING KIT : DYNAMATT : UNIDEN : RFI : iPOD : STINGER : REDLINE Tuning :

SUBARU FORESTER MY10 XT-P
    : TCP AUTO : HYPERFLOW : PERRIN : WHITELINE : STi : BREMBO : BEATRUSH : TURBOSMART : LENSO : PULSE RACING TUNE @ 182 AWKW

fozza diesel would be a good addition me thinks

I would consider a cx7 diesel as a second car.

I like it

14. Default

Hmmmmm. I'm not one to dampen peoples interest, but my wife and I tested the 2.2ltr CX-7 manual at Oldmac Mazda when they had the "hand me round" demonstrator 4 weeks ago. To be honest I found it pretty dull (maybe I was expecting more after my Gen 1 MPS ) and power was very lack luster and boring..

We were in the hunt for the perfect SUV for around $45k, so we did the shop around test driving a range of vehicles in and below our price range. These included the Nissan X-trail, VW Tourag, Mitsu outlander, Toyota Prado (out of our price range), CX-7, CX-9 (just for fun tho too expensive @ 55k base) and the 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe. After 2-3 weeks of test drives, we ended up getting the middle of the range Hyundai Santa Fe Elite.

IMO, if you're looking at getting the CX-7 with kids and travel in mind, take note of the following:

1. Leg room in the back seat is worse than the Gen 1 MPS
    2. The Gen 1 MPS has more usable boot space (even tho the CX-7 has more ltrs)
    3. Its very awkward putting a baby into / out of a baby capsule (the swooping A-piller is in the wrong place) - The article is TOTAL BULL$hit about child seats. THIS IS NOT A GOOD CAR IF YOU HAVE TO USE A REAR FACING BABY CAPSULE!!!!!
    4. Its really hard to get access to that 400Nm (even tho its a manual and diesel!). I disagree that the power is accessible at 1800 RPM. It was more like 2400..
    5. No 7 seats - makes for a very expensive 5 seater!
    6. No adjustability in the split fold seats (they're either up or folded forward - you cannot adjust back to get more space for a bit of relaxing, or to give you a bit more room for a baby capsule.
    6. Lack of extras like push start, rear aircon vents, chiller box, USB & IPOD connectivity as standard, electric seats, folding mirrors, no full size spare tyre! (+++$$)
    7. I felt the interior quality was worse than my Gen 1 MPS - very cheap plastics.
    8. NVH was ordinary..
    9. 3 year warranty - others offering 5 years (we got 8 years unlimited with the Hyundai Santa Fe!)

In essence, these are just my comments. We drove the CX-7 around for about 2 hrs in and around Cleveland, up and down hills, and a little offroading (ssshh dont tell mazda!). We were looking for the perfect balance between features, safety, power and space. In comparison, The Santa Fe certainly has more power - and you feel it at the lights, better fuel economy, plus its got a sweet 6 speed auto that downchanges to help with gear braking - comes standard with triptronic simi-manual as well, plus all the room and NCAP 5 star rating, all with a very low maintenance package and 5 year unlimited kms (extra 3 - up to 8 years for dealership loyalty on servicing).

No matter what your requirements - the bottom line, it pays to shop around.
    Last edited by Wardski; 26-01-2010 at 07:29 AM.

was qute surprised it didnt come with an auto option

Im driving a new CX-7 2.2 Turbo Diesel and I have to say going from a Mazda 3 to this at first I though wow this has no power, turns out that I was so used to driving my 3 that I had to change the way I shift. 2 weeks now into owning it and its super zippy and I love it. Upgraded for the larger space more than anything, and I found the CX-5 kinda ugly.

The trick now is to find performance parts for it! First stop CAI then who knows Exhaust if I can find it.

Raven
    MAZDA CX-5 GX 2012 • Done exhaust, Rims, Break callipers and still going!